Why become a member? ×

Fun at The Bass Cellar

doctor_of_the_bass

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='316185' date='Oct 27 2008, 09:37 PM']She services me in the week when she gets tired I get the drummers mum round.[/quote]

I was going to ask about the bass player's mum - but I feared you might confuse me with the twats in another thread. :)

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='joe_bass' post='316152' date='Oct 27 2008, 08:58 PM']I'm starting to picture people going in to the bass cellar & asking a question about something & getting a reply in an Italian American sorta accent of "who wants to know"[/quote]

You may be on to something there, Joe, It's a front for the London branch of The Brotherhood. They don't ever sell anything in the shop 'cos then they'd have to buy replacement stock ...
You just go in and out through a special door the back, down 44 floors to the bunker where the The Hub is .....

[quote name='OldGit' post='316262' date='Oct 27 2008, 10:42 PM']You may be on to something there, Joe, It's a front for the London branch of The Brotherhood. They don't ever sell anything in the shop 'cos then they'd have to buy replacement stock ...
You just go in and out through a special door the back, down 44 floors to the bunker where the The Hub is .....[/quote]

So, Doctor of the Bass just didn't know the correct question to ask. It's probably something like: 'Could you direct me to the whereabouts of the bass of doom?'.

Then they reply: 'Of course, sir, it's so nice to have you with us. Please come this way'. :ph34r:

To those of you who are sticking up for the Bass Cellar...

1. I went in there on a very rare day off (for me!) with an open mind, following similar threads on here concerning their recent attitude/service. I have purchased two Status basses from there in the dim and distant past and received good service so I'm not into knocking places for the sake of it.

2. I collect basses (you don't say!), as you have already seen, and without being a bighead, know a little bit about them - I'm not a complete oracle by any means (I'm learning more every week) but my main passion in life is bass - it pays my mortgage at the end of the day! They have a bass on display (said Aria) which I am quite impressed by, and being a fan of such late 70's/80's exotica (or is that erotica!), I asked the bigger guy if I could have a look at it. He takes it down off the wall, passes it to me - I have a little play on it and it is in excellent condition. Little overpriced but still a very interesting bass to me...so far so good!

3. However, the bass is labelled as an `SB-1000 Elite' when in fact it looks like an SBR-150....I point this out, not in a condescending way but in fact I said `actually guys, this bass is not an SB-1000 since the 1000's only had one pickup and dot markers etc etc - it looks like an SBR-150'. He tries to find it on Google to no avail. I mention I'm into Arias etc and we start talking about basses and stuff, my collection etc. . The other chap then makes the comment about being sad and that I'd be better off collecting stamps...`you'd pull far more women that way'. I said, `I've got a lovely lady so I think I will stick to basses thank you...' I walk out.

He might well have been trying to be funny, but the way in which he said it did not come across as a joke; he definitely has an attitude problem. I'm up for a laugh and a joke as much as anyone but he came across like a prat. The other guy was fine - polite and at least he was trying to find out more about the bass etc. If that smaller guy had not have cheesed me off, I would have gone back and made an offer on the Aria.

Nick

All the shops in Denmark Street and the environs are not music shops, they are tourist traps who wouldn't know customer service if it bit them in the posterior. I've never liked the level of service (for want of a better word) that I, or anyone has received there. They always talk down to you and are only interested in pushing whatever product lines they are getting a special deal from the supplier on, the financial benefit of which you'll never see. It's not even like they have a great range of gear in their pokey premises where you can't turn round without bashing something. And is it possible to fully appreciate a new bit of kit when every five minutes you have some poorly trained "assistant" asking how you're getting on (see "when are you going to buy it?") if you can initially get their attention that is? They have missed out on good sales to me by just being rubbish at their jobs and fortunately I now spend my money elsewhere and only look in if I happen to be passing.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='ezbass' post='316516' date='Oct 28 2008, 10:38 AM']All the shops in Denmark Street and the environs are not music shops, they are tourist traps who wouldn't know customer service if it bit them in the posterior.[/quote]

With the exception of Wunjo and Vintage&Rare, neither of which are part of the company which owns ALL of the others - and which both have excellent customer service. Wunjo even have good prices if you ask for them.

[quote name='The Funk' post='316551' date='Oct 28 2008, 11:12 AM']With the exception of Wunjo and Vintage&Rare, neither of which are part of the company which owns ALL of the others - and which both have excellent customer service. Wunjo even have good prices if you ask for them.[/quote]
+1, esp. for V&R. I have never found anything other than courtesy in there. Plus of course some hand-bitingly gorgeous exotica. :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='316266' date='Oct 27 2008, 10:50 PM']So, Doctor of the Bass just didn't know the correct question to ask. It's probably something like: 'Could you direct me to the whereabouts of the bass of doom?'.
Then they reply: 'Of course, sir, it's so nice to have you with us. Please come this way'. :ph34r:[/quote]
"Good morning. It's a very nice day."
"Yes, but later it is said there will be rain."
"Just a shower, I am sure."

*locks door* "Very good sir. Follow me through the secret passageway, the Jamerson bass is waiting for you..."

Tourist traps ? I went to the bass shops over there twice in my life when I visited London and everytime it struck me that it's not an advantage to be a Belgian bassplayer.
I'm sorry to say but most of the time I was treated like some foreign disease they had to endure.
I had the money in my pocket but I wasn't very eager to take it out when I saw the reactions whenever I asked something. I think I'm a rather polite easy going person but I want to be treated with respect and that was hard to find. I'm sorry to say but also in the Bass Centre in Wapping I wasn't taken serious and no one showed any intrest in helping me out...

[quote name='Rich' post='316672' date='Oct 28 2008, 01:18 PM']"Good morning. It's a very nice day."
"Yes, but later it is said there will be rain."
"Just a shower, I am sure."

*locks door* "Very good sir. Follow me through the secret passageway, the Jamerson bass is waiting for you..."[/quote]

:)

[quote name='wombatboter' post='316896' date='Oct 28 2008, 05:40 PM']Tourist traps ? I went to the bass shops over there twice in my life when I visited London and everytime it struck me that it's not an advantage to be a Belgian bassplayer.
I'm sorry to say but most of the time I was treated like some foreign disease they had to endure.
I had the money in my pocket but I wasn't very eager to take it out when I saw the reactions whenever I asked something. I think I'm a rather polite easy going person but I want to be treated with respect and that was hard to find. I'm sorry to say but also in the Bass Centre in Wapping I wasn't taken serious and no one showed any intrest in helping me out...[/quote]
Hey mate, its not just London who are like that. I've had it in New York and Bangkok as well.

[quote name='Stinkywhizzleteats' post='316980' date='Oct 28 2008, 06:47 PM']Hey mate, its not just London who are like that. I've had it in New York and Bangkok as well.[/quote]
Me too. I went into three shops in Bangkok and they wouldn't even let me touch the Stingray 5's! I'm like WTF? Just put them in the back and show pictures on the walls if you're going to be that arsey.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='316896' date='Oct 28 2008, 05:40 PM']Tourist traps ? I went to the bass shops over there twice in my life when I visited London and everytime it struck me that it's not an advantage to be a Belgian bassplayer.
I had the money in my pocket but I wasn't very eager to take it out when I saw the reactions whenever I asked something. I think I'm a rather polite easy going person but I want to be treated with respect and that was hard to find. I'm sorry to say but also in the Bass Centre in Wapping I wasn't taken serious and no one showed any intrest in helping me out...[/quote]
Thats because you are forign..and that can translate into the minds of some as 'Irritating timewaster'

My Polish mates get it all the time,only Yanks get the buttkiss treatment...sometimes.

Wear a suit and the world climbs over itself to help...look a mess,and you will get sweet fa.... Have an accent that ISNT posh Queens English or leaking money,and the blinkers go up.

AND DONT start by saying "I wear what the f*** I want when I go into a shop" type posts,because its fact.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='316212' date='Oct 27 2008, 09:55 PM']The thing is, I had never seen The Sopranos until recently. I'm now up to season 2 episode 4 in the box set. Isn't it great? And I think I'm in love with Tony's therapist! :wub:[/quote]

I was a big fan too - it was one of the very few TV programs that I would make a point of catching. Was disappointed when it ended and never did find anything to replace it with in my 'must watch category'
As you’re only into the second series you have plenty more to enjoy

[quote name='ARGH' post='317017' date='Oct 28 2008, 07:47 PM']Wear a suit and the world climbs over itself to help...look a mess,and you will get sweet fa....[/quote]

So true, the very shop we are discussing in this thread does this. When I worked up town in a shirt and tie they couldn't wait to help me, albeit without any professionalism whatsoever. Now I'm a man of leisure and dress accordingly when I was in there last I was invisible. As I said earlier I spend my dosh elsewhere, they missed out on over £500 because they couldn't be bothered.

Trouble is nothing changes, I've seen numerous letters in magazines complaining about this attitude in West End music shops over the years (which they must see) and yet they carry on as before. Well their loss and probably (eventually) their jobs!

[quote name='The Funk' post='316551' date='Oct 28 2008, 11:12 AM']With the exception of Wunjo and Vintage&Rare, neither of which are part of the company which owns ALL of the others - and which both have excellent customer service. Wunjo even have good prices if you ask for them.[/quote]

Slow down guys, the BC-bashing is beginning to spread into areas where it just doesn't belong.

I work 50 yards from Denmark Street (as do a surprisingly large number of BassChatters) and I'm in the shops there a helluva lot.

FWIW, and entirely IMHO:

The Bass Cellar is complete pants.

The other shops owned by Music Ground (including Regent Sounds, Hanks Acoustics, Rockers, the PA Centre, and the Drum Centre) are highly variable. Some of their guys are really very good and some are really very bad.

Argents, and the shops owned by Rose Morris (which is NOT part of Music Ground), are all pretty good and pretty friendly in my experience.

Vintage & Rare are good, but can get very sniffy very quickly if they think you're taking the piss.

The top two shops are Chris Bryant Guitars and Wunjo's. Both are totally friendly and helpful, and it's no co-incidence AT ALL that they're the only two owner-managed shops in the Street.

It's very easy to tar all the shops with the same brush, but we shouldn't do it.

I'm NOT having a go at The Funk, by the way. The posting above just happened to be a useful 'trigger' for my response.

:)

[quote name='The Funk' post='316551' date='Oct 28 2008, 11:12 AM']Wunjo even have good prices if you ask for them.[/quote]

I've never bought anything from them, but they are very nice people. I personally think their prices are a tad (central London rent) high, but if you're able to haggle (do they haggle?), you might get it to a reasonable price, which is fair enough as you've managed to play the thing and if it' what you're after...

Andy (no, not that one) at Angel Music is alright. Although, because it's out of the way on the Street, you tend to be the only person in there. I've done this before though and spent a good while playing a vintage Fender before purchasing it. He was happy to fix the slightly crackly pot (which i pointed out) in front of me, in the work shop too.

Edited by Tee