Why become a member? ×

Fun at The Bass Cellar

doctor_of_the_bass

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1072291' date='Dec 29 2010, 11:34 PM']Im sure there is still plenty of knowledge amongst them Chris. I would never say you can be at a stage where you dont need advice?[/quote]

I would, I certainly don't need advice on buying basses from shops because I know what I want and I do my research before I buy. Aside from finding me a cable and a chair, I can pretty much sort myself out at music shops. Which must be a refreshing change, as I wonder how irritated the salesperson is when someone walks in and says "I know I want something, but I don't know what" and proceeds to take the salesperson on a long and rambling journey before leaving with nothing.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1072648' date='Dec 30 2010, 12:48 PM']I would, I certainly don't need advice on buying basses from shops because I know what I want and I do my research before I buy. Aside from finding me a cable and a chair, I can pretty much sort myself out at music shops. Which must be a refreshing change, as I wonder how irritated the salesperson is when someone walks in and says "I know I want something, but I don't know what" and proceeds to take the salesperson on a long and rambling journey before leaving with nothing.[/quote]

Looking at your basses in the sig, I would say you don't buy many basses from music shops.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1072653' date='Dec 30 2010, 12:55 PM']Looking at your basses in the sig, I would say you don't buy many basses from music shops.[/quote]

I would think the last one was a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz bass and a Spector Rebop DLX, both bought from Sound Control Preston...so yes, it's been a couple of years!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1072636' date='Dec 30 2010, 12:37 PM']Fixed :)[/quote]

LOL.

See, thats the thing. If you were to read this thread you would expect to be treated like that but i never have and haven't seen this sort of thing happen in the many, many years of going to Denmark St.
Im not saying it doesn't of course

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1072646' date='Dec 30 2010, 12:46 PM']I bought my first proper bass after my Westone Thunder one from Dave Simms in December 1984, a fiesta red 1957 Squire Precision. :) Wish I still had it. A few months later, they closed down. :)
I bought a Trace Elliot combo from Flying Pig and a week later, they closed down!! :lol:
I bought a 1996 anniversry P Bass from Peter Cook a few years back, and luckily, they are still there!! :D[/quote]

I see you're from Greenford... my birthplace!

[quote name='TransistorBassMan' post='1072687' date='Dec 30 2010, 01:27 PM']I see you're from Greenford... my birthplace![/quote]
And the Birthplace of The Who :)

In February, The Detours change their name to The Who at the suggestion of Pete’s art school friend Richard Barnes. The Who acquire the managerial services of Helmut Gorden, a doorknob manufacturer from Shepherd’s Bush.
In April, after an impromptu audition at the Oldfield Hotel in [u]Greenford[/u], west London, Keith Moon, who had been drumming for the past year in local Wembley group, Clyde Burns and The Beachcombers, joins The Who. The group had been using a session drummer Dave Golding following the departure of Doug Sandom.

[quote name='Mike' post='1072389' date='Dec 30 2010, 01:29 AM']Interesting experiences as always. My thoughts and horrendous experiences at the bass cellar (and correspondingly good experiences with the Gallery) have been documented in this thread already.

However, I haven't seen much mention of the bass merchant. I know they are in Essex (off the A12 from London) but recently I've been looking for a new bass around £1500ish - i had three visits to the bass merchant, trying the same bass, chatting with Darren, drinking coffee made by his daughter. Eventually I bought it at a price better than any online retailer.

Please consider them along with the big guys in London. They really bend over backwards to help. And no, I'm not on commission!![/quote]
I would highly recommend The Bass Merchant, about 6 months ago, following great advice over the phone, I purchased a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 Combo at the cheapest price anywhere.

And a few weeks ago, I wanted to add a matching GB 210T cab, but after they made enquiries to their suppliers, they were told that they have stopped making them, but said that they will phone around and see if they could find me one.

Next day they phoned and said they have found one, and it was delivered a day later, again at a price that beat all the competition.

IMO they give you their time and great advice patiently, and without being too pushy.

They are based in Colchester and well worth a visit, they stock some great basses and amps and all the misc items you will ever need.

Last time I was in there, I got talking about my preference for flatwounds, and they actually gave me a set to try for free.

£20 quids worth!

Don't think the Bass Cellar would do that.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1143139' date='Feb 27 2011, 11:14 AM']was in the Bass Cellar on Friday. There semed to be a lot more space and the staff appeared to all be friendly and helpful.

Maybe things are changing at last.[/quote]
Have to admit when I was in about a month ago it was much the same. Who knows!?

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1143296' date='Feb 27 2011, 01:43 PM']IMHO A Westone Thunder is a proper bass!

(based on playing a friends Thunder II)[/quote]
I part exed a Thunder III that I'd defretted in the shop that used to be next door to the Bass Cellar in the 80s. Hmm that's a bit* off topic.

*By bit I mean miles and totally unrelated really, but someone mentioned Thunders and I went with it :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1071420' date='Dec 29 2010, 01:06 AM']I've been having a good long think about this.

Over the last thirty years, I've been in quite a lot of guitar / bass shops. And I can only think of three where my visits have been consistently satisfying.

The good ones were Music Mart in Canterbury (dec'd afaik), Musical Exchanges in Birmingham in the 80's (def dec'd) and Peter Cook's in Hanwell (though I did once watch them sell a Marshall TSL full stack to a 12 yr old newbie and his Dad).

By comparison to the sh**tiest of the sh*tt*rmost, The Bass Cellar is actually quite good. My sole visit to the Bass Gallery was shrouded by serious inebriation on my part, so I cannot comment with any accuracy.[/quote]

Yes musical exchanges in brum were always good ,i used to go there from about 87 most weekends ,also used to hang around in the bass place a fair bit in brum , just missed mark king by about 5 mins one saturday !

I'm afraid it's the same situation in 'Rock Box' in Northallerton if anyone is familiar with that. The staff are awful, the amount of times i've been in there and been treated like a simpleton! I've just stopped going and now go to MorMusic in York - a fantastic shop!

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='1071372' date='Dec 28 2010, 11:17 PM']If the big guy with the beard is an improvement I shudder to think what the previous people were like because that guy that Happy Jack mentions has been a complete and utter tosser every single time I've went in there. To give a specific example if you will. This incident happened maybe 8 or 9 months ago.

I had been looking out for a gigbag that will fit my 8 string explorer. I've been compensating by using my bag for my buzzard, however this was far from an ideal fit. I go on the web and look at Ritter's stuff and notice that they have a bag which will fit. I was in the bass cellar a few days before and remember them saying they sold Ritter stuff. Now for the fun.

The same beardy guy (and another bloke with long hair) tell me that Ritter have went bust (within the last week) and that the conversation I refer to above - NEVER HAPPENED. Nice. Call your customer a liar why don't you. This is different to "I don't remember" before anyone suggests I'm over-reacting. It was a "I/We never said that" conversation.

It then gets better. Idiot No. 2 suggests that Warwick do a bag which would fit an Explorer. I decide to play along. I know they mean the one for the buzzard. For those of you who know, this bag can be obtained from Thomann for £65. I decide to wait and see how much they want to fleece me for it. The bloke checks through a big book for a few seconds - no doubt entitled "How to rip off your customers - Vol 5" and then turns to me and says that this bag - (a GIGBAG!!) is going to set me back (WAIT FOR THIS!!) £138. Yes, you read that correctly. ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY EIGHT POUNDS. For something I can get for half that elsewhere.

I then thought about this after walking out confused as to whether I should be laughing heartily or extremely angry. However, I then contacted Headstock distribution who told me that Ritter had not in fact went bust (as if I believed that pile of crap to start with) and suggested a much saner place to shop. As it turned out they had what I wanted so all was well.

I will never, ever, for any reason whatsoever, regardless of emergency or anything shop with those utter tubes in the Bass Cellar ever again.

If only they could follow the Bass Centre into "internet only" oblivion.

This is not an isolated incident. These people don't care about repeat business or customer service.[/quote]

with all due respect and sympathy for this incident, i'm pretty sure he quoted you the price from the book.. depending on when this incident took place, a few years back thomann was hammering uk shop prices due to the strength of the pound.. and also because warwick is a german brand, they were obviously getting a better trade price than the uk retailers.

and also with the ritter thing, this was confusion over the state of the company.. my shop were told they were out of business, and we could no longer get the cases anymore, yet our rival shop over the road continued to sell them.. very odd.

[quote name='gub' post='1143643' date='Feb 27 2011, 06:27 PM']just missed mark king by about 5 mins one saturday ![/quote]
By strange coincidence, I once missed Mark King by about 3 inches and decked his mate by accident.

Musical exchanges was good, I agree. Mostly s/h gear and they'd offer you a mug of splosh then leave you alone

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='robocorpse' post='1143375' date='Feb 27 2011, 02:57 PM']Was in Bass Cellar the other day. The tall guy is indeed an utter cock, but he had mispriced something, so I bought it and staggered it to the cab rank with a big fat grin on my face having just saved 300 quid...[/quote]

He may be a cock but what does that incident make you?

[quote name='tarcher' post='1143970' date='Feb 27 2011, 10:38 PM']He may be a cock but what does that incident make you?[/quote]

It happens to make me very jealous - And him £300 richer.
IMO, obv. :)

If the guy serving him didn't know his stock well enough, or just didn't care then ill take advantage all day long. But then again, I know people who wouldn't even think about it - all depends on your morals.