Why become a member? ×

Fun at The Bass Cellar

doctor_of_the_bass

Allo!

Had the misfortune to have a look round there today - trying to be polite and strike up a conversation with the bigger guy in there and was then told by the `shorter' member of staff that I was `sad owning that many basses' and should take up stamp collecting instead as I'd pull more women! Walked out and coughed the word `twat'.

Needless to say I did not purchase the Aria *SBR-150 for £899....!

* labelled as an SB-1000 Custom!!!

Read this thread, typed a single-word response of "Unbelievable", then stopped and deleted it.

That's precisely the point, isn't it?

It's just altogether too bloody believable.

Ah well, maybe some good will come of the credit crunch and the impending recession - maybe The Bass Cellar will finally recognise the need to try to sell something.

Oh look! A flying pig!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='314735' date='Oct 25 2008, 09:01 PM']Nick, do you normally mention to total strangers that you own 57 basses?[/quote]

I happened to be chatting in a fairly polite manner to one of the guys behind the counter - discussing said Aria, mentioned that I have a number of Arias in my posession; chap asks me how many basses I've got, he is told current number! Other ruder staff member then passes comment!

I know there has been a lot of bashing of The Bass Cellar on here recently, and it would seem that most of it is rightly so. However, do you think you might have misconstrued a joke? I mean, I think your bass collection is amazingly cool, but if you wonder into a shop and start talking about the huge number of instruments you own, then perhaps it is only realistic to expect that you might expose yourself to the potential of a couple of cheeky comments - especially in a music shop!?

Of course I wasn't there, but I have worked in retail. Dude, I can tell you, sometimes it blows.

EDIT - just read your above post re the converstation, but still wondering if the guy may just have been joking (perhaps he's not a natural comedian!) lol!

Edited by Mokl

If you're part of an organisation which exists to sell bass guitars, then someone who owns one and only one bass guitar is a pretty limited target for your carefully-honed sales pitch.

Whereas someone who owns 57 bass guitars is NOT someone you want to piss off with an ill-considered "humorous" comment.

Ultimately, it comes down to the same thing. The Bass Cellar is to bass guitarists what Fred West was to student lodgers.

I've worked in a Guitar shop,and would never have dreamed of saying that to a customer,afterall,repeat business puts food on the Table

You should have responded that "You should get a Job you actually like,but don't make it comedy"

I wish I could afford/had the space for 57 basses,I know someone that has over 100 USA Handmade Neckthru B.C.Riches,he doesn't know exactly what he has or indeed where he's stashed them all LOL

I also kinda know a guy in Scotland that has over 170 instruments including 30 Gibson Thunderbird basses

Keep on collecting mate,and shop elsewhere :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='314750' date='Oct 25 2008, 09:17 PM']If you're part of an organisation which exists to sell bass guitars, then someone who owns one and only one bass guitar is a pretty limited target for your carefully-honed sales pitch.

Whereas someone who owns 57 bass guitars is NOT someone you want to piss off with an ill-considered "humorous" comment.

Ultimately, it comes down to the same thing. The Bass Cellar is to bass guitarists what Fred West was to student lodgers.[/quote]
Exactly. Really, if someone can afford 57 basses, do you really think its sensible to call them sad, seriously. If i had been the guy you were talking to, i would have slapped the guy who gave you that comment, then given you his wallet. But thats just me :)
Zach

[quote name='5_string_death' post='314754' date='Oct 25 2008, 09:26 PM']Exactly. Really, if someone can afford 57 basses, do you really think its sensible to call them sad, seriously. If i had been the guy you were talking to, i would have slapped the guy who gave you that comment, then given you his wallet. But thats just me :)
Zach[/quote]
complete muppet ,have been in there the once , morons is too polite . any salesman worth his salt would have picked up on the fact that this guy is able to fund bass purchase . luckily my local shop lets me try without question (being more mature helps ). spent ages trying a rick then a good chat about different basses great afternoon .i always thought the first rule is the customer is always right especially now with the credit crunch . going in dec to london , the gallery is top of the list . bass cellar has no chance

[quote name='Mokl' post='314747' date='Oct 25 2008, 09:13 PM']I know there has been a lot of bashing of The Bass Cellar on here recently, and it would seem that most of it is rightly so. However, do you think you might have misconstrued a joke? I mean, I think your bass collection is amazingly cool, but if you wonder into a shop and start talking about the huge number of instruments you own, then perhaps it is only realistic to expect that you might expose yourself to the potential of a couple of cheeky comments - especially in a music shop!?

Of course I wasn't there, but I have worked in retail. Dude, I can tell you, sometimes it blows.

EDIT - just read your above post re the converstation, but still wondering if the guy may just have been joking (perhaps he's not a natural comedian!) lol![/quote]

Sorry Mokl, but what the guy said might have been a barrel of laughs for him but is just downright insulting to the person on the receiving end. It case you missed it, the implication is not just that Nick is a sad f**ker for collecting basses, but also incapable of pulling.

Quite honestly I'd have dragged the guy outside and put him straight on a few things.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='314743' date='Oct 25 2008, 09:11 PM']I happened to be chatting in a fairly polite manner to one of the guys behind the counter - discussing said Aria, mentioned that I have a number of Arias in my posession; chap asks me how many basses I've got, he is told current number! Other ruder staff member then passes comment![/quote]
OK, fair enough. :) FWIW I'm deliberately a bit coy about the number I own because even at 10 I get funny looks from people if I tell them!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='314775' date='Oct 25 2008, 10:26 PM']OK, fair enough. :) FWIW I'm deliberately a bit coy about the number I own because even at 10 I get funny looks from people if I tell them![/quote]

I have 10 or 11 now (not many worth much wedge tho) and not many people get it, although I've never had a salesman say anything other than "You should buy another" on the subject.

What the hell does FWIW stand for anyways? 'Scuse the n00bness please :huh:

[quote name='Machines' post='314891' date='Oct 26 2008, 09:49 AM']It seems the staff's job is to attempt to annoy customers and lose business, a very unique and original business model for sure :).[/quote]

Yet they must be doing something right, otherwise they would have been closed down by now. Even if someone from the Bass Cellar was reading this forum, they clearly don't care about what we think.

I think it's important that we continue to report our negative experiences in music shops, because it helps other users to know which places to avoid, but if we think that we're going to change the attitude of the Bass Cellar staff from behind our keyboards, I think we might have to accept that we are barking up the wrong tree.

S.P.