Why become a member? ×

Fun at The Bass Cellar

doctor_of_the_bass

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='315234' date='Oct 26 2008, 05:46 PM']And it ain't just the bass cellar. Chandlers in Richmond about 5 years ago:

Me: I'm looking for a small amp to crank up.

Salesman: You should try a power attenuator.

Me: But I want a small amp.

Salesman: Yeah, yeah, but have you tried a power attenuator?

Me: Yes - I bought a Marshall Powerbrake.

Salesman. Huh! Why d'you buy one of those? Everybody knows they're totally useless. (Calls out to other assistant : "Hey, he's got a Powerbrake!" - Cue joint sniggering) So, who sold you that, then?

Me: You did, in here 3 years ago.[/quote] :) :huh: :huh:

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='314717' date='Oct 25 2008, 07:23 PM']and was then told by the `shorter' member of staff that I was `sad owning that many basses' and should take up stamp collecting instead as I'd pull more women![/quote]

I'm tempted to go in asking for a bass version of this-

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Unique-Custom-Made-Stamp-Guitar-Check-It-Out_W0QQitemZ330281229350QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330281229350&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Unique-Custom-Made-S...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]
double the pulling power!

Edited by SJA

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='314735' date='Oct 25 2008, 08:01 PM']Nick, do you normally mention to total strangers that you own 57 basses?[/quote]
Hidden in the darkest depths of the wildest rainforests of Irian Jaya, there are tribes of pygmies hitherto undiscovered by modern man or the Discovery Channel.
Even they know that Nick has 57 basses.
:)

[quote name='Rich' post='315342' date='Oct 26 2008, 08:28 PM']Hidden in the darkest depths of the wildest rainforests of Irian Jaya, there are tribes of pygmies hitherto undiscovered by modern man or the Discovery Channel.
Even they know that Nick has 57 basses.[/quote]

In all fairness, though, they stopped worshipping him when their volcano erupted. Again.

gargh i hate it when music shop assistant talk like this. theres a shop near me where the guy criticised my own set-up, that he never heard or even seen before and told me to buy something else. and guess what. he was a drummer.

theres also a shop nearby that asks if you have the money before(!) you try something out.

This thread should be titled: Basschat Users...will they ever learn?

If this shops is a such a bunch of sh*te...and it seems to me that it is...then why bother going there? Seems like some of you guys go in there to see if there's anything that you can moan about...vote with your feet and stay away....they guys running it couldn't care less what you think so why bother?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='315027' date='Oct 26 2008, 01:08 PM']Could it be that the guy was just trying to be friendly and making a joke?
If someone comes up to me and told me something i found amusing i would certainly make a joke or light hearted comment about it.[/quote]

A comment about being more popular stamp collecting is a bit too far though. Everyone knows the stigma & stereotypes etc attached with stamp collecting. Maybe I'm analysing it a bit too much but if someone said that to me I'd take it as an insult all the way down to my image, but then I can see how that would be possibly being over sensitive :) But yeah just my opinion, I wouldn't have dared say something like that to a customer when I worked in retail.

You're right about how people on here should just stop going in to that shop though. The saying any publicity being good publicity & all.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='314717' date='Oct 25 2008, 07:23 PM']Allo!

Had the misfortune to have a look round there today - trying to be polite and strike up a conversation with the bigger guy in there and was then told by the `shorter' member of staff that I was `sad owning that many basses' and should take up stamp collecting instead as I'd pull more women! Walked out and coughed the word `twat'.

Needless to say I did not purchase the Aria *SBR-150 for £899....!

* labelled as an SB-1000 Custom!!![/quote]Hi Nick how much do you charge for your valet service? Not including strings.

[quote name='Musky' post='314769' date='Oct 25 2008, 09:12 PM']the implication is not just that Nick is a sad f**ker for collecting basses, but also incapable of pulling.[/quote]

I'm a sad f***er who is also incapable of pulling. At least I'm not that gnome who works in the Bass Cellar. I make a habit of talking down to him and never buying anything whenever I happen to be passing through. He is a cock even if his joke wasn't intended to be rude. The big guy's not much better - but at least he's not the gnome!

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='316012' date='Oct 27 2008, 05:46 PM']Has anyone emailed them a link to this thread?

[email protected][/quote]

They don't even have a real email address?
Even more pathetic than I originally thought...

And just discovered that none of the following domains have been registered:

thebasscellar.com
thebasscellar.co.uk
basscellar.co.uk

Edited by BigRedX

If you get out of denmark st, take right towards Tottenham court road tube, there is a shop on your right with lots of second hand studio gear and guitar pedals on the window.

I walked in there in the intention of buying a pod x3 or a tech 21 bass driver. The reason i went there was because they seemed to be the only ones who actually sell both of them.

I approached the guy that was there, a tall skinny guy with long hair, seems around the end of his 40s, and asked him if i can try the pod next and the bass driver.

him: "Why?"

Me: " Im looking for a device that would enable me to record my bass direct to the computer"

Him: " They are both very different "

me: " I know, thats why i want to try them, see which one i prefer"

him:(Angry tone): " there is no way you can compare them, they are too different "

me: (getting angry) " I dont want to compare them, i want to hear which one i prefer"

him: " we do not demonstrate gear here, if you want you can buy both of them"

he then turned his back to me and started talking to the other "sales" person.
Being a hot tempered middle eastern, he was kinda lucky that i was there with my girlfriend,
it was probably the rudest addetude i've ever got since moving to london.

Before i went to the shop i went to a cash point and took 300£ to buy one of these units.
I left the shop empty handed and very very angry and bitter.

Apart from the fact that he was a complete c**t, i really really wanted to hear the difference between a digital flashy unit like the pod, to a more hands on analog unit like the sans amp.

I'm never going near that area again.

Just to soften things up, i've ordered a new bass from Andertons over the phone 3 weeks ago, and they were very patient nice and friendly to me.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='316085' date='Oct 27 2008, 07:15 PM']it would be quite easy to purchase those domain names and turn them into a record of disgruntled customer experiences... :ph34r:[/quote]
If you were going to do that sort of thing, which of course we aren't, you might find that it would be better to register something like "www.thebasscellarsuckswatermelonsthroughelephants.com" - that way there's much less possibility that you'd fall foul of a domain squatting complaint. Allegedly.

[quote name='saibuster' post='316132' date='Oct 27 2008, 08:26 PM']I approached the guy that was there, a tall skinny guy with long hair, seems around the end of his 40s, and asked him if i can try the pod next and the bass driver.

him: "Why?"[/quote]

I'm starting to picture people going in to the bass cellar & asking a question about something & getting a reply in an Italian American sorta accent of "who wants to know"

[quote name='saibuster' post='316132' date='Oct 27 2008, 08:26 PM']If you get out of denmark st, take right towards Tottenham court road tube, there is a shop on your right with lots of second hand studio gear and guitar pedals on the window.

I walked in there in the intention of buying a pod x3 or a tech 21 bass driver. The reason i went there was because they seemed to be the only ones who actually sell both of them.

I approached the guy that was there, a tall skinny guy with long hair, seems around the end of his 40s, and asked him if i can try the pod next and the bass driver.

him: "Why?"

Me: " Im looking for a device that would enable me to record my bass direct to the computer"

Him: " They are both very different "

me: " I know, thats why i want to try them, see which one i prefer"

him:(Angry tone): " there is no way you can compare them, they are too different "

me: (getting angry) " I dont want to compare them, i want to hear which one i prefer"

him: " we do not demonstrate gear here, if you want you can buy both of them"

he then turned his back to me and started talking to the other "sales" person.
Being a hot tempered middle eastern, he was kinda lucky that i was there with my girlfriend,
it was probably the rudest addetude i've ever got since moving to london.

Before i went to the shop i went to a cash point and took 300£ to buy one of these units.
I left the shop empty handed and very very angry and bitter.

Apart from the fact that he was a complete c**t, i really really wanted to hear the difference between a digital flashy unit like the pod, to a more hands on analog unit like the sans amp.

I'm never going near that area again.

Just to soften things up, i've ordered a new bass from Andertons over the phone 3 weeks ago, and they were very patient nice and friendly to me.[/quote]
That'll be RockStop - The same bloke (I'm sure - looks like he's stuck in the 80s?) was very huffy when I tried out the behringer bass synth pedal but didn't buy it due to it having no useful sounds. I've bought loads of stuff there previously without trying it out, but I'm not going to bother going in there again. They were very unhelpful when my mate took his akai looper he bought there back due to switches not working. They wouldn't exchange it & never got it repaired when he left it there. He had gigs coming up & ended up repairing it himself at his own cost.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='316152' date='Oct 27 2008, 08:58 PM']I'm starting to picture people going in to the bass cellar & asking a question about something & getting a reply in an Italian American sorta accent of "who wants to know"[/quote]

Surely that's not the Bass Cellar, that must be the Soprano Cellar.

I'll get me coat.