Why become a member? ×

What bass do you regret selling? Was it love?

vinorange

I think for me it would be my first proper bass, a pre-loved Spector Legend in Black Cheery; one of the original Legends with the P/J p/ups and 3-band EQ before they split the line into two versions. Sentimental reasons, but still a nice bass.

Peavey Grind V. Made badly in Vietnam of breathtakingly wonderful Brazillian walnut which would have looked far better alive and holding up a parrot this wonderful ugly duckling of a bass used to lap into my leap of its own accord. In the end I couldn't take the banter about its looks or name so mistakenly let it go.

Edited by lownote12

There have been two basses I regretted selling. The first was in my first era of bass-playing. It was an early 70's Matsumoko built Shaftesbury Rick 4001 copy. It was wonderful to play, sounded great and looked + felt every inch like the "real thing" - Only thing was, it needed a re-fret, and I couldn't afford it at the time, so I sold it. Instant regret!!!

When I took up playing (after a 20+ year break!) I decided to search for one again. But they're hard to come by, as you can't buy the copies on here and they usually get pulled from ebay. However, I manged to get one after around 8 years of searching, and so glad I did. I've had the "real thing" and those 1970's Japan Shaftesbury's are utterly brilliant :)

The other bass I regretted selling was a Squier Classic Vibe Precision, in Fiesta Red. I had one and loved it, but I didn't really need it - as I already had plenty of basses (too many really), including my superb Fender Roadworn P. I sold the Squier CV, regretted it, but I sorely missed it - more so knowing they had been discontinued.... So I bought another, and though I have way too many basses... I can't bring myself to sell either the Shaftesbury or the CV

EDIT: I guess I'm lucky, in that the 2 basses I really regret selling, I have managed to replace....
Double EDIT: I note there are many misguided "Rick haters" on this forum - but I just thought it spoke volumes that a high percentage of the replies on this thread, are from someone who has regretted selling their Rick :)

Edited by Marc S

My very first bass was a white musicmaster. I wouldn't know what year but I guess late 70s. I had no idea what I had. I loved that bass, but I'd bought a 6 string bass, was playing that in a band, and desperately wanted a drum kit, so I swapped the bass for a knackered old kit from a mate at school

I actually got in touch with her on facebook after not seeing her for 14 years. Apparently it was her sister who had the bass. I offered £500 but she didn't want to sell. I think there was some sibling rivalry sh*t going on. :(

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1487149092' post='3237436']
My very first bass was a white musicmaster. I wouldn't know what year but I guess late 70s. I had no idea what I had. I loved that bass.......
[/quote]

After my first awful Kay bass - I quickly sold that, and bought a Musicmaster, which must have been early 70's. I recently saw the guy who now owns that bass, and I actually regret not approaching him to see if he'd sell..... I hadn't seen him, or the Musicmaster for well over 30 years! :o I didn't particularly regret selling that bass at the time, or since - but I would be half tempted to buy it back, as it was my 1st "proper" bass

Edited by Marc S

They had one in my local shop - 1978, for £600. I know they'd have come down to £500. It was the same colour as mine but with a black scratch plate and without the horrible gouge I put in it by running round the house playing. I gave it a go in the shop and it was so nice to play. I know some of it is switching from my big 6 strings to a tiny short-scale 4 string, but I really loved it

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1487104576' post='3237207'] I went through a crap separation with my first daughters mum. During that time I bought a Custom Shop 64 jazz, Olympic White, Matching headstock - the best neck I've ever played, 8lbs, just a stupidly resonant bass - sounds silly but notes 'spoke'. Recorded and gigged it, some of the best times of my musical 'career' - sold out some big venues on that last tour. Anyhow, things took a turn and I met Mrs Travis. To get married I sold said white jazz bass. Broke one part of my heart while another was healed forever. That was 5 years ago. Then, a twist of fate... https://instagram.com/p/BP-i_3Tgl3U/ https://instagram.com/p/BP8li26AKRL/ It's home. Such a special bass. [/quote]

^ Awesome story! nice one.

My first proper "bass" a late 80's MIJ Precision, black with maple board. I'd had it nearly 20 years until I saw an ad on these pages wanting one. I'd just been ousted from the band I was in at the time, so in a fit of pique I let it go.
I believe it was subsequently sold on to another BC member, so hopefully it's still in the family.

None really. If I miss them, I get another one - ultimately they go for a reason. I have phases of missing something (usually 51RI P-basses) but at the moment I wouldn't have minded keeping an old through neck white Epiphone T-bird. I have a great T-bird so it's purely fantasy and completely unneeded. I'm 100% confident that desire to re-own it will come to pass.

Over the last few years (since joining BC - coincidence... I think not...) I've been through (at a rough estimate) about 15 basses. The only one I regret getting rid of was a Cort C4H. Just was a lovely bass, but GAS got in the way. Prior to these past few years I had been pretty much a one bass kind of person - most I ever had at one time was two: my first ever bass, a Westone Spectrum Series II and a Yamaha RBX800F fretless (both around about 25 years ago) . I sold both, and still regret getting rid of the Yamaha. If I could get one again in pearl white I think I would do so as fast as I could... but alas, not seen one, even asked on here :(

No regrets, as every bass sold was a necessity in several dimensions.
That said, nearly every sale did hurt, except my nasty Rockinbetter and maybe the Ashbory, whereas the one that unexpectedly hurt the most by far was this one, which happily went to a good BC'er:

[URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/1IMG_0046_zpsd220d997.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r525/basstractor1/1IMG_0046_zpsd220d997.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1487175150' post='3237776']
No regrets, as every bass sold was a necessity in several dimensions.
That said, nearly every sale did hurt, except my nasty Rockinbetter and maybe the Ashbory, whereas the one that unexpectedly hurt the most by far was this one, which happily went to a good BC'er:

[URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/1IMG_0046_zpsd220d997.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r525/basstractor1/1IMG_0046_zpsd220d997.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]

Ooooo, Pretty!!!

I should probably regret selling my Wal JG custom with the leather scratchplate but it was much more bass than I needed. Also it's been gone 27 year.

The bass I do regret was my Thompson P-bass,the Thompson here were Glasgow piano & organ sellers. Easy 12lb and a real baseball bat neck,after learning on that I could play anything. First real bass as the 3 string semi-hollow with nailed on pickup and Kay Tulip bass don't count.

Sold to ???? Music Exchange in London after a trip there ended in poverty.

I really regret selling my Bass Collection SB801 as it appears to have been the only one in existence, my SB601 Fretless because it was the best fretless bass I could ever want and my first Fender Precision because I didn't know what it was and got offered very silly money £1400 (considering I paid £300 for it) by a local dealer who promptly sold it to someone who was looking for my exact bass, some years later it was divulged it was a 1963 body, electrics and case mated to a mid 70's maple neck....which still at the time suggests £1400 was still decent money for what was a bitsa bass!