Why become a member? ×

What bass do you regret selling? Was it love?

vinorange

At times in our lives we all need to move gear on for various reasons and for good or bad, like past girlfriends, I think we have a soft spot for all of them, I wish I had kept every guitar I have ever owned because its a reminder of our age or a time in our lives !!!

You would need a big room to store all of them, and the basses :blink:

Edited by Bbiigg Kev

In a way everything I've ever sold... mostly because I lost money on them! Except the Wal and it was a total pig!

Only bass I truly regret selling was an abused SQ Squier (only other bass I've made money on!). Looked like somebody had been trailing it round a car park by the strap, but it was light, resonant, nice neck and sounded glorious. Tried to buy it back but the guy was having none of it, and I don't blame him!

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1487104576' post='3237207']
I went through a crap separation with my first daughters mum.

During that time I bought a Custom Shop 64 jazz, Olympic White, Matching headstock - the best neck I've ever played, 8lbs, just a stupidly resonant bass - sounds silly but notes 'spoke'.

Recorded and gigged it, some of the best times of my musical 'career' - sold out some big venues on that last tour.

Anyhow, things took a turn and I met Mrs Travis. To get married I sold said white jazz bass. Broke one part of my heart while another was healed forever.

That was 5 years ago.

Then, a twist of fate...

[url="https://instagram.com/p/BP-i_3Tgl3U/"]https://instagram.com/p/BP-i_3Tgl3U/[/url]
[url="https://instagram.com/p/BP8li26AKRL/"]https://instagram.com/p/BP8li26AKRL/[/url]

It's home. Such a special bass.
[/quote]

Cool story! Hope you all live happily every after

I sold my main USA P bass to fund a lighter Lull, because it was so heavy, but i missed its fantastic sound.

It was in the shop for a few weeks after, and I was tempted to go and buy it back. But it would only have sat in the corner of my room in its case and got sold again eventually.

It's only a bass at the end of the day.

Edited by bassbiscuits

I can't remember selling anything except my house and cars (if selling a car after 10 years for about £250 can be considered 'selling' rather than giving away!).

If I can afford something I'll buy it outright, after which it ceases to have monetary value to me, only its utility value.

It means I have no regrets though it does tend to clutter up the place. :lol:

I've been watching this thread and have decided it's time to contribute. in 1989 I owned a Warwick thumb, kubicki factor and a Wal Fretless. These were at the time my three ultimate basses. I was 18 and playing through a lovely Trace Elliott rig. I was playing loads and loving life. Long story short. I'd bought my first house with blood sweat and tears recession hit in the early 90's. Anyway mortgage payments to be made work drying up. The Wal went first. I took it into Musical Exchanges in Birmingham. For those who knew the place it was Gaz. He looked at me and said " are you sure" I had no choice. I covered my mortgage payment for that month. The factor and Warwick followed. I wouldn't change a thing but I'd love to own them all again. It is what it is !

[quote name='KingPrawn' timestamp='1487360285' post='3239344']
I've been watching this thread and have decided it's time to contribute. in 1989 I owned a Warwick thumb, kubicki factor and a Wal Fretless. These were at the time my three ultimate basses. I was 18 and playing through a lovely Trace Elliott rig. I was playing loads and loving life. Long story short. I'd bought my first house with blood sweat and tears recession hit in the early 90's. Anyway mortgage payments to be made work drying up. The Wal went first. I took it into Musical Exchanges in Birmingham. For those who knew the place it was Gaz. He looked at me and said " are you sure" I had no choice. I covered my mortgage payment for that month. The factor and Warwick followed. I wouldn't change a thing but I'd love to own them all again. It is what it is !
[/quote]

To bassists, that story would be worthy of a special edition of Oprah.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1487425152' post='3239706']
I recently offloaded a 2015 US Precision (I still have one) but as these are now discontinued, and the necks to me are just the ones I like most, I was regretting it big-time. So I`ve just scored another.
[/quote]

Yeah, they're great.....

• 7 years later...
On 15/02/2017 at 12:21, BrunoBass said:

I sold my Patrick Eggle New York bass in 1997. It was the first decent bass I'd ever owned, and I won it in a Melody Maker completion in 1995. It was an amazing bass to play but I wasn't gigging at the time and needed the money. Regretted it ever since!

Screenshot_20240316_002514_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c33d77a0f0a4a2809bc8b155f78e1726.jpg

• Sad 1

well my bass history is a series of regrets ..started off by selling a beautiful Olympic white musicmaster in the early 80s  to get a squire first edition Olympic white precision ..then on to a westone thunder iii followed by a wal pro traded in for the stingray that i still have today ..but i would honestly welcome any of those ex basses back into my fold in a heartbeat. Was it  love?..no it was necessity on account of me being a tad poor in my youth.

Edited by Musicman666
  • Like 1

So many regrets, but the main ones being a Zon Sonus 4 and Modulus Flea Bass in unusual green sparkle finish. I regret them more as time goes by as I know I'd get more out of them now, understanding why I struggled with eq etc. I really really regret letting an F Bass BN4 go, that was a 'sold it for the money' situation :(

• Like 2