Why become a member? ×

What Is Your Role In Your Band?

blue

Out of interest, I wonder how many of you above are members of original bands? The reason I ask is that (IME) the role of each member is much more clear-cut and constant in a covers band. With an original band, things tend to evolve and therefore roles have to also evolve, or new people have to be brought in to carry out those newly evolved roles... Some members might grow increasingly uncomfortable with their new (or changed) role. That was certainly my experience in my last band.

Is this making sense? :unsure: :D

The harmonica player and I run our band, really. He does Facebook, I do website, we both check out new places to play and book gigs (we run an online google calendar for this with everyone's "not available" dates) he does posters, I do demo's from gig recordings with my Zoom. I usually record rehearsals and transpose them fro Audacity to mp3s for the new songs we've worked up then email them so everyone knows the arrangement for next time. He looks after the PA and keeps hold of the mixer, 15" speakers and leads, but we mostly use a pair of 12" these days which I bring as they're mine. I am also the general gig dogsbody who is expected to know how we get in, and out, and where to park, and what time we're on etc. You get the picture. Whoever got the gig deals with the money so it's either him or me.
We all come up with ideas for new material, but the singer/guitarist/front man bloke has the final say for obvious reasons. I't usually pretty harmonious - we seem to get an instant feeling if a song is right for us and know pretty quickly if it isn't.
I've just started rehearsing with a general covers band, and for that I'm learning their set list and just show up at rehearsals having learnt some more songs than I knew last time! Early days with them, aiming for a first outing beginning of March.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1481549005' post='3193128']
Out of interest, I wonder how many of you above are members of original bands? The reason I ask is that (IME) the role of each member is much more clear-cut and constant in a covers band. With an original band, things tend to evolve and therefore roles have to also evolve, or new people have to be brought in to carry out those newly evolved roles... Some members might grow increasingly uncomfortable with their new (or changed) role. That was certainly my experience in my last band.

[/quote]

I agree.. I'm in a covers band and an originals band.. In the originals band my main job appears to make sure that not every song sounds the same :-)

Aside from playing bass and singing...supplying, programming and setting up lighting, helping with the setup/tear down, helping sound check the PA (myself and one guitarist are both technically proficient with lighting and PA), being a front man, entertaining, generally enjoying myself and trying to make sure that the punters have a great time too :)

Bass and backing vocals. We all help each other during load in and out, If its needed, your own gear comes first.

All our roll, even though its a covers band, is to be as inventive as possible with our parts while remaining sensitive to the song and the other instruments. We try to put our own twist on songs and to Funk them up. If I think playing it dead straight serves our version of a song better then thats what I do. If a complete change helps the song work, then I do that.

We look out for each other. Even if the guitarist pulls out a subtle three note motif that makes the song sound better I will let him know I liked it. We get on as mates even though we met a couple of years ago answering a band startup add. Lucky? You bet. We respect each other as musicians.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1481562724' post='3193313']

We look out for each other. Even if the guitarist pulls out a subtle three note motif that makes the song sound better I will let him know I liked it. We get on as mates even though we met a couple of years ago answering a band startup add. Lucky? You bet. We respect each other as musicians.
[/quote]

This is so important. The interpersonal element often gets missed when thinking about what we do, even though it's always there (unless you're a solo act)

I normally end up mediating between other band members when one or two get a little over-enthusiastic with their expression of what should be played and how it should be played.

And I play bass.

[/quote]

We're a "Bar Band" not a cover or originals band. However, the roles are clear cut, that might be the only similarity with the "cover band".

Blue

I think every band member has the same functions in;

1) learning their parts
2) showing up on time
3) Buying the odd drink for the other band members
4) Only moaning about the things that really matter

On top of all that I usually play bass (electric and occasionally upright), sing an occasional b.vox and do the internet / band FB page.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1481498598' post='3192786']
Bassist, backing vox with occasional lead vox, setup and pack away. I tend to lead how we arrange songs, but that's not official, just how it's developed.
In my acoustic trio it's the same but just backing vox and arranging songs is pretty democratic.
[/quote]

Exactly the same for me except I shout a bit more in the arrangement area.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1481579762' post='3193505']
I am new to this whole game but it seems everyone loves someone who can sort the technical stuff out and fix things when needed so do that as well as playing bass and hoping not to cock up too much. First proper outing Friday so time will tell.
[/quote]
Go for it - I'm sure you'll do fine. Make sure you report back :)

Play bass
Backing vox
Do the sound
Work the lights with my feet
Co-front the band
Set up tear down with everyone
Do all the bookings
Maintain the stage clothes
Stock the band with batteries, cables and other consumables
Keep on everyones back about all the little things that make you sharp and slick

Band 1(originals working band) bass player, backing vox, everybody helps load in/out, general encourager, mover-er abouter-er on stage, occasional gig getter & good time charlie.
Band 2 (originals not yet ready to gig) songwriter, lead vox, bass player, guitar (pitchshifting in a Royal Blood stylee) basically everything bar drums.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1481579762' post='3193505']
I am new to this whole game but it seems everyone loves someone who can sort the technical stuff out and fix things when needed so do that as well as playing bass and hoping not to cock up too much. First proper outing Friday so time will tell.
[/quote]
Go for it! Dont drink before gig, ride the adrenaline wave, dont worry about making mistakes, laugh if you do & most importantly have fun!
& as said above, report back!

[/quote]

Originals band for me. Can see where you`re coming from as it depends on how the band - and band members - want to approach things, and with the different opportunities that may arise as more success comes along.

I,m the bassist and main backing vox. I am also the de facto musical director. If anyone wants to know a chord sequence etc they always ask me. :huh:
I only load my own stuff in and out, the singer takes care of all the PA stuff. I sometimes help the drummer carry his stuff to his car if he wants to get away sharpish.

Edited by Hobbayne