Why become a member? ×

What Is Your Role In Your Band?

blue

Depends entirely on the band and what skills the other members have.

It's ranged from simply showing up the rehearsals and gigs and playing my bass, to doing pretty much everything (both musically and organisationally) except sing, write the lyrics and play the drums and bass on stage. In that second example I also owned all of the equipment except for the drum kit.

In the Terrortones everything is fairly equally divided between myself and Mr Venom. He writes the words and I do the music, and at a push we could do everything in the studio between the two of us since he is a very good drummer and I'm a passable guitarist. For the non-musical stuff Mr Venom handles everything that requires people skills like social media and organising gigs, while I organise the email list and the website. Everything else is handled by both of us together, or farmed out to people with the appropriate skills.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1481650415' post='3194054']
my role is front man, bassist, co songwriter/arranger, gig organiser and general of the band.

i don't get paid for it, but i do it cos it just comes naturally.
[/quote]

Interesting, were a 4 piece and it's always been an equal split when it comes to revenue streams, fees, tips, and merch. Even though some members are doing more work than others.

If we ever start getting high pay gigs with margins you can play with, I'd have no problem with them getting a bigger cut but at the $500.00 per gig level, it's not enough bread to *quibble over.

Blue

*Obviously I'm a Yankee and I've been on BC too long.😁

Edited by blue

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1481670533' post='3194271']
Bassist
Vocalist (harmony)
Musical director
PA Owner
PA Sound Guy
Lighting owner
Lighting engineer
Roadie (PA & everyone else's gear)
Van driver
Gig booker
Diary organiser
Occasional Agony Aunt... psychiatrist!
Rehearsal organiser
[/quote]

You have a huge role in your band, are you paid more than the other members.

Blue

Bass playing, occasionally BV, small part in arrangements, responsible for recording practices and uploading them on web for everyone to listen through, keeping drummer calm when he doesn't like a song, keeping lead guitarists ego in check, keeping rhythm guitarist on the correct chords, bringing food my wife has made for everyone.
Drummer prints set lists
Singer in charge of booking gigs
Lead guitarist in charge of Facebook page

We never actually discussed any of this, it just happened naturally since I joined in April.

Band 1

Bass player
Booking agent
Website / social media manager
Recording engineer
Producer
PA owner, mover, storer
Lighting owner, mover, storer
Video director
Video producer
Live sound engineer
Backing vocalist
Band manager
Set list producer
Rehearsal venue owner

The others turn up when told and help with set up and pack down.

Band 2

Bass player

Just reading this makes one realise the effort that goes into being in "Just a band"
Alot of dedication there guys well done all, keep the faith alive.
The time and effort in my part of the band ? which is a13 piece funk band is just mad thinking about it. :huh:

I write the songs
I record all the parts of the songs bass, drums, keys, guitar, for the band to use as a start point.
I org all the format parts to be sent out, ( except the brass parts, our trombone player scores all them out)
I org the practices
i org the studio time
i Help get the gigs
i own the PA
i set the pa up with help
i play bass, backing vocals, bits of guitar,
i own the .com and .co.uk addresses, which is a pain in its self.

Now all that sounds very controlling, but if i dont do it, it wont get done and the machine stops and the dream fades.
there are other people that help also, the guys all make an effort to learn their parts, be there, and on time,
and are willing to go along and have faith with the ideas i have, and come out with great ideas to help on the song process
where i have messed up in parts.
All that effort and i dont regret any ot it, what a great bunch of guys to work with,
All in all, ...... the right band, with the right guys.
I love it. ;)

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1481669741' post='3194266']
Interesting, were a 4 piece and it's always been an equal split when it comes to revenue streams, fees, tips, and merch. Even though some members are doing more work than others.

If we ever start getting high pay gigs with margins you can play with, I'd have no problem with them getting a bigger cut but at the $500.00 per gig level, it's not enough bread to *quibble over.

Blue

*Obviously I'm a Yankee and I've been on BC too long.��
[/quote]
we do try and split the workload and any money we do make, but in terms of organisation sometimes it is just easier to do it yourself and get it done.

its great to share, but in my experience there always has to be one person who pushes things forward otherwise it stagnates and nothing gets done.

i'm cynical and don't trust people to do stuff, so i'm usually that driving force.

i should just be a solo musician, but i only have 2 hands.

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1481682943' post='3194315']
You have a huge role in your band, are you paid more than the other members.

Blue
[/quote]

Band #1 I get £20 per gig out before we do a straight split, this pays for the upkeep of my PA.
Band #2 require bigger PA, hence I get a straight split of profit.

Covers band:

Bassist, odd backing vocals and very odd occasional lead vocals, bringer of active PA speakers and a light bar. Website and posters. Most of the gig bookings. Husband of singer.

Load in and out and setting up are shared tasks. Guitarist does the front end of the PA and the lighting.

Acoustic duo:

Guitarist, backing and some lead vocals, PA. Husband of singer.