Why become a member? ×

What's your favourite source of drum beats or backing tracks?

Chewie

Good morning fellow bassists,

I'm a newbie and absolutely loving this place.
I use some isolated drum tracks from youtube, an app called drumgenius and the odd backing track to jam along to. Oh, and I've just tried the drum part of Garageband on the girlfriends iPad.

Does anybody have any wisdom to better my arsenal on this. Please share any pearls. I'd like to buy a drum machine that didn't require an A level to program or just something I could hit for funk, rock, blues, that kind of thing.

Incidentally, drumgenius, which was tipped to me by notreble.com is really worth a look, especially if you're a jazzy kind of cat.

Any ideas would be well received in the Falcon.

Warp speed........

Chewie

[quote name='Chewie' timestamp='1472893807' post='3125087']
Good morning fellow bassists,

I'm a newbie and absolutely loving this place.
I use some isolated drum tracks from youtube, an app called drumgenius and the odd backing track to jam along to. Oh, and I've just tried the drum part of Garageband on the girlfriends iPad.

Does anybody have any wisdom to better my arsenal on this. Please share any pearls. I'd like to buy a drum machine that didn't require an A level to program or just something I could hit for funk, rock, blues, that kind of thing.

Incidentally, drumgenius, which was tipped to me by notreble.com is really worth a look, especially if you're a jazzy kind of cat.

Any ideas would be well received in the Falcon.

Warp speed........

Chewie
[/quote]

Welcome Chewie. The only backing tracks I've ever used come from "play along" tab books that have a disc with two versions of each song. One with bass and one without. More often I'll just play over a yooboob clip that I like. I have a Roland TR606 but it doesn't save and even left powered up has not got a reliable memory. I do like that it is there though, just in case.

I use a really simple app called loopz. I just plug my phone in and I have lots of time sig,s styles, tempo,s etc. Very easy very simple. Wish it was more extensive mind. The best thing for me is YouTube backing tracks. It's great chord change practice.

Edited by bubinga5

What I use a lot are the rhythms that come on my Zoom B3. I have to say there's not a massive selection, but the pedal has many other uses too. One additional feature is also a blooper, so you can even build other rhythms using your bass, and then build on it from there.

Well it's good enough for Vic Wooten.

We don't currently have a drummer so we use backing tracks from karaoke-version.co.uk if we need s specific song. Lots on there, even some oddities, and they are cheap... £2 each.
If the track we need isn't there we've used people on fiverr.com to do a track for us... Costs $5.

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1472927170' post='3125430']
We don't currently have a drummer so we use backing tracks from karaoke-version.co.uk if we need s specific song. Lots on there, even some oddities, and they are cheap... £2 each.
If the track we need isn't there we've used people on fiverr.com to do a track for us... Costs $5.
[/quote]

Also very good indeed. I buy a few backing tracks from them too

If I'm not actually playing with a drummer in a band and/or want a rest from all that, I like isolated drum tracks on YouTube, too. You can play with some really top-rank drummers and it's good to hear how they do things. Playing with people better than yourself really improves your chops... :lol:

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1472900737' post='3125183']
Before buying a Alesis SR16 I used to use Wikiloops - free and you get to choose which instruments play on the track. User friendly too.
[/quote]
Not the easiest to program in my humble opinion

Really interesting thread this, Thanks for starting it Chewie. I've been downloading tracks from iTunes and playing along so I'll be checking out some of these apps and you tube tracks. Might reduce the amount of spaghetti I seem to create when connecting my bass and laptop to my amp.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1472900737' post='3125183']
Before buying a Alesis SR16 I used to use Wikiloops - free and you get to choose which instruments play on the track. User friendly too.
[/quote]

Another vote for wikiloops, there's some surprisingly good music on there & you can download the tracks to create your own lines for it then upload it back onto the site & share your creation with the world.
Great if you don't currently have an outlet for your playing.