Why become a member? ×

What do you carry your stuff in?

Grangur

This thread is inspired by another started by MB1, who's looking for a case for an amp.

What do you carry your gear about in?

Pedals on a board are great, but if you only have a few, what do you do to stop them getting scratched in transit?
I had a pedal once. Kept it in a camera case.

My MB LM3 travels in a soft, zip close laptop case. It's enough for protecting it while it goes in with leads and stuff.

What have you used that's low-cost, easy to get and useful?

I have a kind of 2-tier 'system'. For rehearsals I use a Halfords tool bag. Lots of pockets inside and out to stuff leads, small extension reel, tuner, folding stand, spare bits and bobs. For gigs I have a larger holdall that I drop the tool bag into in that has room for additional things I might need - gaffa tape, spare leads, DI pedal, etc etc.

After years of tweaking, I've got it down to a fine art :)
My Line 6 XT Live gets carted around in a dedicated Thomann gigbag -- the associated cable snake and other sundries live in the front pocket of this. The amp mains cable, speaker cables etc live in an old charity-shop-refugee PE kit bag** in the back of the amp rack case. I carry the wireless lead and a spare guitar cable in the front pocket of the bass gigbag.

** if I forget to bring this, I have to do it in my vest and pants.

I travel very lightweight, everything fits into a medium size holdall (I still have all the boxes for my pedals etc, so they don't get scratched), my Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 head fits perfectly into a laptop case along with the mains lead and speaker cables, and I have two very lightweight Genz Benz 2x10 cabs, and my bass is in a soft gig bag.

I have the least amount of luggage than all the other members of the band, gone are the days of bassists lugging massive great rigs about. :)

Bass - hard case or gig bag
Cabs - Roqsolid covers
Streamliner head - laptop bag, speaker cable in pocket
Demeter head - Antler rucksack, speaker cables in pocket
Stands - stand bag
Everything else - a large case from Maplin - this holds coiled-up mic leads, instrument leads, mains leads etc, microphones, multi-tools, and various spares and gadgets

I adopt a similar procedure to Paul S, I put amp, pedals, leads etc in a holdall for rehearsals, but for gigsd they all go in a Boschma hard plastic case, as playing on the same bill as lots of other people items can get knocked by accident. The case is very hard-wearing, and I`ve lined it with thick packaging foam. Similar with my bass really, gig-bag for rehearsals as it`s lighter, Hiscox hard-case for the gigs.

Have managed to get my gear down to a more manageable level. Lightweight Schroeder 212 with a trolley if needed, LM3 in a padded laptop bag, leads in a pilot style bag with only what's needed plus a few spares, small Stagg case with 5 pedals including radio link. Mic stand, stool and a small fan. Two trips with stuff loaded onto trolley with cab if needed. One trip if girlfriend with me. Finished gig last night at 11.10 and was in the car on the way to a kebab at 11.45! Going lightweight and convenient has been due to health issues but means I have more stamina during the gig and feel better at the end loading at out.

I have only a few pedals which fit neatly into a small diago case. Everything else went into a small wheelie suitcase aircraft carry-on type thing that I bought from a cheapie shop. Used to gig with my Warwicks, and their gig bags were great if you were going in your own car. Since I quit gigging I got an Am Std Jazz, and the flightcase is crazy... don't think it would even fit in the car, but it'd be great in a van.
In my last band we used to rehease at the local footie club and we'd do a free gig every month or so to "pay" for our rehearsals. We used to keep our gear there, so it was great walking to gig with just the gig bag slung on my back.

Amp and pedals, leads etc all go in a admittedly stuffed soft laptop bag. I used to worry that the laptop bag would attractive to scallies but i think that's less of a problem now, but it also looks decent enough to arrive at smart venues and not look a compete chancer.

I like to keep things minimal so have a lightweight cab with cover and TH500 amp in its padded bag, plus the bass and everything else in a gig bag. I recently got a Mono Bass Sleeve, mainly for its huge front pocket, into which I can easily fit 3 or 4 pedals plus leads, tuner, etc.

For the PA, I bought a cheap suitcase from Sports Direct & kept some of the foam packaging the mixer came in. The mixer goes in one side with the foam, the cables etc. go in the zip compartment the other side.

For everything else, I won a Carlsberg gym bag at my local pub in a raffle years ago - everything fits in the nicely. Sorted!

As somebody whose gear is rather more on the heavyweight end, my amp and cab have their own padded covers but are basically carried around by something with an engine!

On a more practical note, I have found that despite its enormity, the coffin case for the 'bird allows very little room for storage. As a result I've dedicated a spare laptop bag to carrying pedals and cables.

Lightweight combo in one hand, bass case in the other, and compact but lightweight holdall over my shoulder containing small pedal board (in its own soft case), all leads, cables and sundries, and guitar stand. I can, and indeed have done, literally walk to gigs. I don't miss the days of lugging heavy old cabinets around...

Two large cheap sports holdalls for the lights and associated cables. A medium general purpose hard case for mic and leads. A soft case for my GT6B. Guitar stand and mic stand lashed together with cheap straps. A soft case for the light stands. Bass and strap in a gig bag. Combo with Roqsolid cover (+ hardboard sheet in the optional front pocket)

Yes, it takes a few trips :)

Plastic storage boxes , bags, shopping baskets, cases

Basically anything that can stack or has handles

I like the plastic boxes with lids, those are useful to carry, can stack,cheap and can withstand rain.

I live top floor flat so ideally I like to stack boxes and carry them all up in one linear motion

I use a couple of old camera cases, LM3 and leads in one, all other leads, mics, tuner, David Eden bass pre amp (as a back up rather than carrying a spare head) in the other.

If I am just using the 2x10 traveller cab I can usually load in and out in two trips, if I am using the 4x10 or 1x15 as well then three trips will do it

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1467544464' post='3084377']
This is in danger of turning into another light weight gear thread!
[/quote]

Yes.

Once I get my Barefaced One 10 then I will carry my amp, cab, wireless receiver all velcroed together in a cajon bag with speaker cable in the accessory pocket.

My bass is in a gig bag and in the pocket is my strap with wireless transmitter attached, cable for connecting the bass and spare strings & 9v battery for the bass + sweatband & microfibre cloth for wiping the neck.

My cab has a top hat so I have a bag with a Gorilla speaker stand with a 6 gang surge protected power supply zip tied to it as well as the power cable. My bass stand is also in this bag.

Lastly, I have a laptop bag containing a 10m extension reel, batteries for the wireless, wireless power supply and spare strap, cables, spanner for tightening my straplocks & tuners and screwdriver.

Bass in gigbag with the stand in the outside pocket, two MB121s - one in either hand and the rest (leads, amp, wireless kit and zoom B1on in an oldish messenger style laptop bag slung over my shoulder. Cabs and laptop bag fit in (and fill up) the boot of my Peugeot 308 and the bass goes on the back seat or on the lap of whoever is on the back seat. Can load everything in and out in one go if I have to but since my shoulder has been playing up (again) I tend to do a couple of trips.

Edited by anzoid