Why become a member? ×

Why are Drummers so Unreliable?

pmjos

Over the past 35 years I have had endless experiences with drummers. Virtually every one I ever worked with was a a screw up. Why..... WHY? what is going on......? are they mad. Don't answer that. I even had a guy who had to meditate in his pyramid before going on stage and then walked off stage mid gig to listen to how it sounded without him. What is its with drummers...... I just don't understand.

Well that's something of a sweeping statement. However, I must agree with you. There's always something a bit 'wrong' about them somehow. Of course the worst thing is when they can't actually play the drums properly, but I've been in bands with one or two that have had some very funny habits and/or obvious mental or personality disorders... Mind you, guitarists and vocalist are a bit iffy, too. And don't get me started on keyboard players... :D

Edit: Drummers who have decided to become members of this board are perfect in every way, of course. :biggrin:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467146277' post='3081541']...
Edit: Drummers who have decided to become members of this board are perfect in every way, of course. :biggrin:
[/quote]

... or would be, but for their enormous modesty. :mellow:

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1467151307' post='3081591']
Don't diss drummers...
[/quote]

Oh yes, I've played with one or two who were reliable, they're not all bad of course. I didn't think the OP was being entirely serious. Apologies if I've misread the mood. Again. :rolleyes:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1467149784' post='3081570']
Actually, just remembered, that's FOUR drummers I've been out with.
[/quote]

Do you use the rhythm method? Arf, arf. *Sigh*

Edited by discreet

It's true. Never met, known or worked with a drummer who hasn't, in one way or another, been a flakey weirdo. And over 35-odd years of playing music, that's a lot of drummers.

I would say it's something to do with the mindset involved in making music by banging stuff with sticks, but being a flakey weirdo myself, I don't think I'm entitled to any sort of opinion... :)

Jon.

You learn to recognise the difference between a drummer and someone who owns a drum kit.

Although one drum kit owner I played with bout a two seater sports car and put a large sub in the boot making it impossible to transport his kit anywhere.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1467185091' post='3081662']
You learn to recognise the difference between a drummer and someone who owns a drum kit.

Although one drum kit owner I played with bout a two seater sports car and put a large sub in the boot making it impossible to transport his kit anywhere.
[/quote]

I was in a band with a "drummer" who didn't even own a drum kit. Nor an electronic one. He just had sticks.

I kept the rhythm in that band and he played off me. Needless to say, it was terrible. Thankfully, he left and was replaced by a more normal gentleman.

I think I've been incredibly lucky, over 40 years playing in bands, all bar one have been pretty much up together and ok players, some very good.
The one that was flakey used to smoke a lot of weed, didn't have a drumkit (in this country), was a day late for a gig once, and also lost all the money he had taken out of the cash machine for the weekend in the course of a 200 yard walk from said cash machine to the venue.

The biggest problem with drummers is that if they're any good they're usually very busy and you have to keep them fed with regular decent work or you'll quickly drop down their list of priorities. Only drummer I ever had a problem with was the one who had all the chops but couldn't keep time. He refused to accept there was an issue and even when he did accept something was amiss with his playing he simply said "Dave Grohl says it's perfectly natural to gain a bit". Pretty sure Dave Grohl was referring to a couple BPM not 30. I left that band pretty quick.

I realise that the OP is not entirely serious but...

The vast majority of drummers I have played with have been perfectly normal people (as far as musicians go) and several of them have been by far the most organised as well as being the most technically and musically adept members in the band.

On a more serious note, if you are playing with any seriously flakey musician. Stop. By doing nothing you are as much part of the problem as they are. Either they will be reduced to being bedroom players where they are no longer being anyone else problem, or they will wise up and actually do something constructive about it so that they can continue to be in a band.

Edited by BigRedX

My experience has been consistent with the OPs. I played with some awesome drummers but they all have something going on. One was brilliant when he was sober so rehearsals were always good because we all had to drive there but he would get trashed at gigs and then he would turn into a nightmare, picking fights with people, cracking onto the singers GF, etc. We had another drummer who was amazing musically but just so, so unreliable - he would never be on time to shows, etc. The guys I have played with who were not mental were never all that good.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1467170479' post='3081625']
I don't find drummers any flakier then any other musicians.

[/quote]

Me neither... altho I do know one guy that I've got endless stories that are now hilarious-not so much at the time tho, iirc.

But all the numbers I've got now...are of people who know the gig, ..otherwise you wouldn't keep the number in the first place.