Why become a member? ×

Audition advice

uk_lefty

I'm off to "audition" for a band tomorrow night. They're established but their bass player has left for whatever reason. They're typical pub rock covers fare but very good at it and have gigs booked this summer.
Before I realised it would be a revolving door of bassists I made sure I could play to at least a passable standard 25 of the 30 songs on their set list - luckily I had played most before or enjoyed the song but had not ever played it.
Now I'm getting a half hour slot to jam with them tomorrow night. How do you reckon I should approach it?
Wear the clothes I am wearing all day? Wear what I would be comfortable in at a gig? Or wear what they wear for gigs?
Take my P bass which will do most of the songs or P and J? Leave the headless at home even though it suits one or two songs?
Use my effects like flange? Or stick to compression and maybe overdrive so they're hearing my playing more than the effects?
The songs are very simple riff based with some room for flourishes... Do I "show off", play as minimal as possible, or just hint at a few fills here and there?

Any advice welcome :)

Be on time (or even early), take one bass which will do most of the songs, check al your gear is working properly before setting out, lock in with the drummer and only play the parts that were recorded. If those parts had effects then use the same, if not keep the sound clear of effects. For a rock covers band wear jeans and a tee shirt.

And then, when you`ve gone through the songs, ask them the questions about effects/different basses/flourishes/gig-wear.

And good luck.

Personally, if they're as you describe - 'typical pub rock covers', Lozz has it pretty much nailed there.

I would add though that while you definitely shouldn't overplay, it couldn't hurt to throw 1 or 2 fills in just to make you stand out from the crowd..

Do you know anything about how their previous Bass player approached it? Could be an idea to have a similar approach as he did, as that'll be what makes them feel most comfortable..

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1461137616' post='3031685']
Be on time (or even early), take one bass which will do most of the songs, check al your gear is working properly before setting out, lock in with the drummer and only play the parts that were recorded. If those parts had effects then use the same, if not keep the sound clear of effects. For a rock covers band wear jeans and a tee shirt.

And then, when you`ve gone through the songs, ask them the questions about effects/different basses/flourishes/gig-wear.

And good luck.
[/quote]

Not a lot you can argue with there. Most rock covers bands will be looking for a bass player who keeps it simple (any Muse or Rush covers aside obviously) solid and tight but gets the feel right. If they want to see if you can play like Billy Sheeran too then no doubt they'll give you a chance to let rip at some point too.

And again good luck :)

Yep - Lozz has it covered. Biggest thing is make sure you can play the songs! I've just joined a band that sacked the previous two bassists because they didn't learn their parts and wasted everybody else's time at rehearsals.

Turn up on time, play the basslines properly, don't show off. Job done.

Hope you get the gig!

Another vote for Lozz's post, very good advice to which I would add: Don't say anything unless necessary. Smile at everyone and appear friendly. Don't turn up pissed and don't hit on any female band members until you've got the gig [JOKE]. Don't be late. Plus one for knowing the material, this is the single most important thing. Don't overplay. There will probably be an amp for contestants to use, but make sure before you go. Don't worry about effects. They want to know if you can play or not.

Be relaxed, cool and confident, but don't be arrogant and don't be a bell-end. They will definitely not be looking for bell-ends.

You are auditioning them, too. After the audition, ask any relevant questions such as how many gigs they'll be doing, rehearsal regime, etc. and anything else you want to know about the band before joining them. Showing a bit of interest goes down well.

Edited by discreet

You say you are having a jam with them for half an hour but don't say if this is a private jam or in front of an audience, that may affect some of the replies.
Personally I would say to play like yourself, not what you think they want to hear. If you get the gig playing in a manner that doesn't inspire you and they expect that from you all the time, you could get frustrated with the band very quickly. From the other side, if you get the gig based on you not being yourself the band could get equally frustrated with you. Be yourself.

[quote name='keving' timestamp='1461141926' post='3031739']
Be yourself.
[/quote]

Sage advice. I think we generally spend too much time trying to be what we think others expect. We are usually better at being ourselves, we've had loads of practice at that.

Some good points there... I'm told there is an amp but mine will be in the car just in case it's a fartbox in the room. I'm assuming no audience as its in a rehearsal space but who knows? From email interactions I expect we will get on well. The previous bassist played as per the record almost, good tone and nothing flash, including nothing flash from the recorded versions... Will be interesting

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1461140268' post='3031726']
...are you expected to set up and break down your rig in that half hour?
[/quote]

I can set up or break down my rig in under 5 minutes. If I was auditioning band members I'd be looking for people who aren't going to spend ages faffing about with their gear trying to remember which order their pedals go in etc. The quicker you can set up at a rehearsal the more music you get to play. The quicker you can set up at a gig the less inconvenience you are to the pub.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1461151688' post='3031871']
I can set up or break down my rig in under 5 minutes. If I was auditioning band members I'd be looking for people who aren't going to spend ages faffing about with their gear trying to remember which order their pedals go in etc. The quicker you can set up at a rehearsal the more music you get to play. The quicker you can set up at a gig the less inconvenience you are to the pub.
[/quote]
true, as can i, but if you allow 5 minutes to set up, 5 to break down, that leaves you 20 minutes to get to know them and jam with them. if i was auditioning someone i'd want to minimise the amount of time wasted setting up.

Sad but true most bands don't notice the bass player until they are gone. Your job as they will see it is to keep it simple and tight. All they are looking for is

Will the new guy work at it (25/30 songs says yes)

Does he have the pro attitude and gear (take all you'd need at a gig and your best bass, spare in the car)?

Will he fit in with the band or cause a lot of strife?

how quickly can we get gigging with him?

If you can play 25 of their songs then it isn't going to take you long to learn the extra 5. Play like the original but erring on the side of simplicity. Make sure you listen to them, smile a lot and relax. If you've got the gig you'll all relax forget it's an audition and just play music. You'll just be musicians having fun and their bassist headache will be over. In half an hour you'll only get to play four of five songs. They may choose them or you might have to suggest some, be prepared either way.

Good Luck let us know

Things to avoid:
[list=1]
[*]What key was this one in?
[*]Oh, I never listened to that.
[*]I'm playing the 'Live In Newton Abbott' version off YouTube ... haven't you checked that out?
[*]I thought we might do this one reggae-style.
[*]I don't worry too much about tuning - it's only pub rock, right?
[*]I find that envelope filters work with pretty much everything.
[/list]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1461164395' post='3032060']
Things to avoid:[list=1]
[*]What key was this one in?
[*]Oh, I never listened to that.
[*]I'm playing the 'Live In Newton Abbott' version off YouTube ... haven't you checked that out?
[*]I thought we might do this one reggae-style.
[*]I don't worry too much about tuning - it's only pub rock, right?
[*]I find that envelope filters work with pretty much everything.
[*]Who the feck forgot to bring the beers / can you skin up in here?
[/list]
[/quote]
Hey dont knock the live in Newton Abbot version on YouTube-thats me!

Edited by skidder652003

Set up fast, if the audition is at 5:00, that means be set up and ready to play at 5:00.

Make sure they can hear you. Remember if they can't, it doesn't mean they're going to tell you. You might want to ask if the sound your using fits the song.

Own the audition material like it was the back of your hand.

Be polite and professional, tear down fast and leave, don't engage in a lot of small talk.

Look out for "red flags"

If it's a pro operation and your good, you'll here from them sooner than later.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1461146204' post='3031776']
Some good points there... I'm told there is an amp but mine will be in the car just in case it's a fartbox in the room. I'm assuming no audience as its in a rehearsal space but who knows? From email interactions I expect we will get on well. The previous bassist played as per the record almost, good tone and nothing flash, including nothing flash from the recorded versions... Will be interesting
[/quote]

If they said don't bring an amp, don't

If they want you to audition using a fart box, that's a "red flag"

Blue

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1461137969' post='3031688']
Do you know anything about how their previous Bass player approached it? Could be an idea to have a similar approach as he did, as that'll be what makes them feel most comfortable..
[/quote]

Unless they kicked him out for being no good.

Remember - it's not all about the notes!

Be early, be smart, be friendly. You are going to be spending a lot of time with these guys; you need to be friends (or at least tolerant colleagues.)

Know your parts - keep it simple, no need to overplay. They'll know you're good when you make the song feel good.

Leave some space for everyone else - let the drums breath, let the guitars sing, let the singer shine. We are a support function. Be supportive, and remember - we have 2 ears, one for you and one for everyone else.

Smile and have fun - it's what we do!