Why become a member? ×

Audition advice

uk_lefty

I think bands mostly audition the person, aside from their playing, whether they know this or not. For things to work out, it matters to be yourself and see how that meshes and how you honestly all get along. Wear what you normally would for a rehearsal, and feel comfortable in.

Be confident in your competence as a player, just play and don't fuss with gear unless that really is what you do normally (in which case stop it now!). Use all your own gear inc amp full rig, and use the sound you normally would. Check out the drummer's timing and see if you can live with it; check out the guitar for overplaying, check out the keys for left hand that needs amputation, check out vocalists for pitch and personality !

Do the prep, be nice, be humble, and play simply with good timing, and be happy !

LD

[quote name='AndrewJordan' timestamp='1461169557' post='3032145']

Unless they kicked him out for being no good.
[/quote]

Sounds like there is probably another side to that story. Was he good when they hired him and he became bad?

Could be a "red flag" maybe not.

Blue

IME the band are looking for two things – someone who can adequately cover the gig and someone who they want to spend a large part of their life with over the next few years. If you seem committed, can pick up songs quickly, lock in with the drummer, look like you belong in the band and seem easy to get along with then you will do fine.

Bear in mind that they may be looking for certain things that may or may not be your strengths – so if they need someone who can sing a high harmony and you can’t sing then you won’t get the gig, no matter how well you can play. But if they get two guys who turn up and seem to be able to play their set well enough they will nearly always go for the one who seems to be a bit of a laugh – even if the other guy might be a slightly better player…

[quote name='luckydog' timestamp='1461187857' post='3032359']

Use all your own gear inc amp full rig, and use the sound you normally would[/quote]

I would ask if it's ok to bring my own rig first.

They might have a reason they don't want him to bring his own rig. It could have to do with how they've scheduled auditions and they want to save time.

Blue

Edited by blue

Audition advice is a tough one because there's so many variables, age, genre, location, fit, gender, originals, established and working ,start up the list goes on and on.

If you can't answer this question there's something wrong.

"Why Do I Want To Be In This Band?"

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1461189114' post='3032380']
IME the band are looking for two things – someone who can adequately cover the gig and someone who they want to spend a large part of their life with over the next few years. If you seem committed, can pick up songs quickly, lock in with the drummer, look like you belong in the band and seem easy to get along with then you will do fine.

Bear in mind that they may be looking for certain things that may or may not be your strengths – so if they need someone who can sing a high harmony and you can’t sing then you won’t get the gig, no matter how well you can play. But if they get two guys who turn up and seem to be able to play their set well enough they will nearly always go for the one who seems to be a bit of a laugh – even if the other guy might be a slightly better player…
[/quote]

Hi Pete,

I think bands are also looking for someone who can commmitt. There are some guys out there that will audition knowing It's not the right time for them.

Personally experience is important. I'm not sure I want to bring on a guy to a busy working band that has no gigging experience.

Blue

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1461182970' post='3032311']
Some great advice here. The only thing I can add is that an audition is a 2-way street: you are auditioning them too. Are they what you want, are they good enough to be in your band? Good luck, hope it works out.
[/quote]

This

Unless it's the opportunity of a life time dont sign up if you have doubts

Good luck

I remember many years ago we were auditioning a drummer; we felt we were going places and needed a good drummer with a similar musical outlook to us.
So we gave the gig to the first one who came in and rolled a fat one!
However, it only took one rehearsal to notice (his long hair, tight denims and Whitesnake tshirt should have given it away) that he wasn't into playing punk-funk. Not only that, but he had a controlling girlfriend who made David St. Hubbins' Janine look like Mother Theresa...

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461200519' post='3032449']

Hi Pete,

I think bands are also looking for someone who can commmitt. There are some guys out there that will audition knowing It's not the right time for them.

Personally experience is important. I'm not sure I want to bring on a guy to a busy working band that has no gigging experience.

Blue
[/quote]
Everybody has to start somewhere! Although there is an obvious issue if a relative novice is auditioning to join a band of highly experienced gig-hardened players.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1461216739' post='3032463']

This

Unless it's the opportunity of a life time dont sign up if you have doubts

Good luck
[/quote]
On the other hand, if you join a gigging band that are perfect for you then at least you are out there getting experience and getting your face known to put you in the frame for when the right opportunity does present itself.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1461224929' post='3032537']
On the other hand, if you join a gigging band that [b]aren't [/b]perfect for you then at least you are out there getting experience and getting your face known to put you in the frame for when the right opportunity [i]does [/i]present itself.
[/quote]

Fixed (I think; make little sense otherwise...). ;)

I would take everything you would for a gig (I always have just incase). However, walk in with just your bass, cables and effects. Let them know you've got the rig in the car just incase, there's no negative here it just shows you're prepared and professional.

Get in and set up quickly, greet everyone and be polite but professional. Make sure they know you're enjoying yourself, don't be the only still person in the room. Confidence sells.

At the end, if you want the gig ask any questions you need answered and only stick around for as long as you feel welcome. If they want you to stick around it's a good sign, remember to get any contact details when you can :)

When you get offered the gig, don't forget to ask about money, PA and lights, as there can often be strange arrangements such as the singer takes 10% for organising gig / website etc. or our last bass player provided the PA and we assumed you would do the same. Good luck.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1461233906' post='3032650']
I would take everything you would for a gig (I always have just incase). However, walk in with just your bass, cables and effects. Let them know you've got the rig in the car just incase, there's no negative here it just shows you're prepared and professional.

[/quote]

That wouldn't work for me at all. I wouldn't be happy leaving outside the entire PA, electronic drum kit, lights & lasers, etc.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the advice. I turned up and was just myself... After one easy song to settle in we were picking random ones off their set list that they hadn't played for ages, not just the easy ones they'd knocked through for other auditionees. On bits of songs where I want to play fills/ faff about I absolutely did because I was comfortable playing with them and I thought f*** it, that is the only way I know how to play.
Anyhows, good bunch of guys and we all got on well, decent players and quality singer. I got the handshake and the welcome at the end of the night, I'm one chuffed bass player.
Ta again, I was having some quandaries in the days beforehand. Key seemed to be not to overthink it and just 'be prepared'.