Why become a member? ×

"Crowd Killing"

cheddatom

I went to see Raketkanon and Heck on Tuesday night at the Star & Garter in Manchester. It was absolutely amasing. I've seen them both before but I really love Raketkanon, and Heck are always fun to watch. Anyway, I knew it was going to be a mad gig with lots of "moshing" etc. and I don't mind that. I was there for a good 2.5 hours of music and got bashed about lots at the edge of the pit, and I'm used to that. At the end of the night though, one guy seemed to get totally carried away swinging his arms around. I've seen this before and some people call it "crowd killing" which is when people deliberately try to hurt other members of the crowd. This guy in particular grabbed me by the arm from behind and pulled me to the floor. I bashed my head pretty badly and I've hurt my knee badly too. It'll be fine in a couple of days but...

I've not long recovered from a head injury which really brought home how fragile we are. This guy obviously never considered it, but knocking someone to the floor could cause brain damage or even death, as could a punch from his swinging arms. So, I don't know if there any "crowd killers" among us, but if there are, could you stop it please?

The bloke was obviously an idiot. There's always someone who through drink,drugs or adreneline gets carried away & takes it too far.

The whole joy of the mosh pit for me is the way people look after each other, when you see someone fall and 10 pairs of hands immediately pick them up off the floor before they can get hurt, that's human nature at its best.(although I have to admit my moshing days are behind me).

Anyone who actively tries to hurt the other participants is basically at the wrong event.

Edited by Cato

WTF? Surely the moshing community won't put up with this kind of crap? I thought the whole point (not that I partake) was to jump around/into each other a bit, bounce off each other etc. but not going in with the intention of causing harm? Or did I miss something?

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1458209360' post='3005539']
there's a moshing community?
[/quote]

[i]community[/i]
[i][kuh-myoo-ni-tee] [/i]
[i]noun, plural communities.[/i]
[i]1.[/i]
[i]a social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality, share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage.[/i]

They reside in the mosh pit, they're self-governing, and they share a common urge to bounce into each other, therefore they are a community ;)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1458208275' post='3005525']
which really brought home how fragile we are. This guy obviously never considered it, but knocking someone to the floor could cause brain damage or even death, as could a punch from his swinging arms.
[/quote]

The law of sod dictates that this numpty will arm swing his way through gigs for his entire life without ever causing anyone any damage... where as the one time I push him away when he tries to grab me, he'll fall over hit his head, die and I'll end up spending 30 years at her majesty's pleasure... :blink:

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1458211205' post='3005567']
I thought the jumping and bouncing around off each other was pogoing while moshing was more collective headbanging in the same direction as each other.
[/quote]

Punks pogo, metallers mosh.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1458209049' post='3005532']
If you see that lad again please advise him not to try it if he's ever up in Glasgow!
[/quote]
Au contraire, I hope he does. It'd teach him a lesson he badly needs.

This happens occaisonally at the gigs I go to. Usually once the crowd have had enough they dispense their own justice and said brave hard man, up against some 20 equally hard men usually stop and let everyone get on with enjoying the evening. Sound rough, but hey, that`s life.

I should add, I never go down the front, far too rickety for that malarky, I stand at the back near the desk and sensibly get the best sound.

I remember once I was in a mosh

And some kid was headbanging.. I headbanged too and some how we got synchronised.. I basically head butted him and he dropped to the ground

I tried to pick him back up but the section was far too hot

Lost him in the depths of the mosh

I don't think I killed him... Maybe someone else picked him up or he got up somewhere else in the mosh

Good gig though.

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1458221307' post='3005734']
I remember once I was in a mosh

And some kid was headbanging.. I headbanged too and some how we got synchronised.. I basically head butted him and he dropped to the ground

I tried to pick him back up but the section was far too hot

Lost him in the depths of the mosh

I don't think I killed him... Maybe someone else picked him up or he got up somewhere else in the mosh

Good gig though.
[/quote]
I think Anthrax might have written a song about that :lol:

I tend to opt for the front of the balcony at venues these days if there is one. :) Someone trod on my foot when passing by to the lavs but that was about the extent of the injury.

I suppose it could always collapse. :unsure:

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1458217232' post='3005662']
If there's a 'moshing community', I for one would like to see some footage of their AGM...tea and buns everywhere... :D
[/quote]

If there's a community, I believe it's mandatory to have a community leader, though I've never been sure how they get elected.