Why become a member? ×

I love being a bass player because...

Chaos Daveo

I agere with the therapy aspect, It is like a cure all.
I Also enjoy my place in the mix, my own zone (that i share with the kick)
And im the biggest loudest boy ✌
Each aspect of the band is a vital component in its own right, i just love the way that bass is so important

Aside from the obvious about being in a band and doing gis with your mates, I can`t really put it into words why I actually enjoy playing the bass so much. I just love it. Whereas with guitar, although I can play it decently enough, I just don`t feel at home on it, with bass I just feel like I`m "me".

Because I love being the heart of the song. I love that you feel the bass not just hear it. I was first drawn to the bass as a young teen cos I thought it looked cool with the big long neck compared to the common as muck guitars!

Edited by ubit

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1456051938' post='2984776']
Aside from the obvious about being in a band and doing gis with your mates, I can`t really put it into words why I actually enjoy playing the bass so much. I just love it. Whereas with guitar, although I can play it decently enough, I just don`t feel at home on it, with bass I just feel like I`m "me".
[/quote]

Exactly this! I play both bass and guitar to a good standard, but whereas I feel like I'm having to play guitar, with bass it just feels entirely natural and sounds like me.

Bass is also the best instrument ever to play live - its loud and satisfying and provides all the meat and movement in a song, and it doesn't go out of tune like guitars yay!

I've played bass for three quarters of my life now and it's a huge part of how I am, how I think and my role in life if that doesn't sound too dramatic. I find it very therapeutic and good company too.

I only wish I'd bothered studying music at school instead of dropping it, not knowing then what a constant factor in my life it would be!

Edited by bassbiscuits

Similar to previous posters, I play guitar and bass to a decent standard, and actually started on guitar, but I just feel at home on bass now.

I played guitar at a gig a few years ago to fill in as our guitarist couldn't do the gig, and we had a dep bass player play my bits. I thought I might enjoy the guitarist "limelight", but spent the gig being jealous of the bassist we had filling in for me! I was glad I didn't enjoy playing guitar live, as had always wondered if I did the right thing opting to be a "permanent" bass player :-)

There's something about the rhythmic side of things for me; I played drums as a youngster so think that has always stayed with me. Can't beat locking into a beat/groove in my opinion. I really, really love playing bass :-)

...because I feel totally at home with being a bass player, much more so than being a guitarist (which is where I started). The bass is something that I feel a great affinity with; it's also an instrument that I feel that I'm always making progress with, always improving, which feeds my enthusiasm for playing. I love being part of the groove and I enjoy the responsibility of being the 'glue' of my band. I don't feel the need to be at the front, either sonically or visually. It doesn't hurt either that the bass is just incredibly cool!