Why become a member? ×

Justify your Gear!

CamdenRob

All my gear, aside from my US Fender Jazz is for my band. All of it is either main use, or backup. Only the Jazz is indulgent and used solely at home.

I could however make do with less expensive items, but aside from my US Precision, the expensive items, as well as for sound, are bought for light weight/portability, and the cheaper items don`t have those factors.

No excuses here - a USA P Bass, sounds great, bought new and 40 years old this year - A Limelight P Bass, sounds great and I wanted a back up - and a Hayman 4040 because it's rare and unusual, sounds great and was refinned and refurbished to a high level. And a Fender Rumble. :lol: Which sounds great. Did I say it all sounds great?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1455884073' post='2983256']
No excuses here - a USA P Bass, sounds great, bought new and 40 years old this year - A Limelight P Bass, sounds great and I wanted a back up - and a Hayman 4040 because it's rare and unusual, sounds great and was refinned and refurbished to a high level. And a Fender Rumble. :lol: Which sounds great. Did I say it all sounds great?
[/quote]

Yes but don't forget the importance of your gear sounding great.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1455884330' post='2983262']
Yes but don't forget the importance of your gear sounding great.
[/quote]

I think one's gear sounding great is pretty much a necessity, hence the great gear.
Everyone's gear should sound great. Does your gear sound great?
I may start a thread, 'Does Your Gear Sound Great?' I think it would be great.

Basses
AJR PJ Singlecut - Now my main gigging bass
Warwick Steamer '87 PJ - Now my backup
Squier Silver Series Jazz - Because i think it's worth way more than i could sell it for
Farida fretless - Just incase i need a fretless

Amp
Kustom KXB 500 - Amazing piece of kit for the pricepoint, and any pricepoint

Cabs
2 X TKS S112s - One for small gigs and onstage monitoring. Second one comes along if needed

I have a TC electronic clip on tuner and a Sansamp driver that i keep incase i need a DI.

I have a few pedals that i dont use anymore (Source Audio distortion, Boss Tuner, Chorus & Flanger) Not much point in selling them though

Edited by FuNkShUi

ACG Custom Finn5 - need a 5 string in both my bands and this is my main bass based on a Jazz pickup arrangement.
ACG Standard Finn4 - it's a short scale P basically, everyone needs a P once in a while ... ;)
Status Retroactive J - I sometimes dep in a rock band and this none-more-black beauty is the perfect fit

Ashdown CTM100 head - my main amp for my covers band and and Rock deps I do
Ashdown RM800 head - home and practice amp, also the amp for my kids band
Ashdown VS212 cab - pairs with the CTM
Ashdown RM110 cab - pairs with the RM head at home, practice and for the kids band
Ashdown RM210 cabs x2 - for adding to any rig as required to make it bigger, therefore better :D

Having three basses, two heads and millions of cabs gives me ultimate flexibility as the need arises and also plenty of back up just in case.

I think I did pretty well justifying it all there :lol:

Edited by Merton

I like this thread it should be a very interesting exercise. Lets see... My gear is all (almost) justifiable at the time:

[b]Basses:[/b]

[u]Maison (P-copy)[/u] - it was my first bass, won't sell it for no money, just hangs on the wal so i can look at it with nostalgia and a smile on my face and ocasionaly pick it up for a couple of notes just to remember how far i've come.

[u]Maison TB Series (Bass collection copy)[/u] - my second bass, was given to me by my late grandfather and is now the most valuable bass i own, the one i'd rescue from a burning house. It's not being played at the moment as i have a replacement preamp to fit in it.

[u]Yamaha TRB5PII[/u] - "My Bass", the one that has "My Sound", my go to bass and the one that i gig with more often.

[u]Yamaha TRB5P[/u] - The backup bass, i use it every now and then for a period so i can rest my back/shoulder a bit as the 5PII is a bit on the heavy side.

[u]Yamaha BB1000S[/u] - I got this in a trade (my Ken Smith for the TRB5P and the BB1000S), it's the only bass i can't really justify but it's nice and sounds great. It's good to take to gigs where i would be affraid to damage the TRB's. I'm not a 4-stringer so i'll probably end up putting it on the FS section soon.

[u]APC UKE Bass[/u] - Got it as a x-mas present for myself because the guitarists in my band own a couple of guitaleles and the drummer has a cajon and we're thinking about setting up an acoustic set (for those venues that don't want loud bands) and to busk a bit in the summer just for the fun of it (going to the beach and play together). It will look very funny with the mini-instruments. I've used the Uke on gigs and it sounds very good.

[u]Stagg EUB[/u] - Have it as a long term loan from a friend with the option to buy. I don't gig it, i have it because i love the sound and i don't have a very good ear so it's been helping me develop that part. Still don't know if i'll keep it but has been great fun to practise with it (a bit frustrating at times but it's all part of playing/learning bass).

[b]Amps/Cabs/Combos:[/b]

[u]Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2[/u] - My main amp, has the clean, flat sound i look for with no fiddling in the knobs. Very portable and reliable. Use it all the time in almost every gig.

[u]Alembic F-1X + KMT DC5 (1kW)[/u] - I have this rack for those gigs in big outdoor stages. It packs more punch than the Shuttle and has the sub-bass that it's needed in the outdoors just to give that kick on the back that we all love.

[u]Barefaced Super12T[/u] - The only cab i have, the only cab i need. Does everything from practise to those big outdoor gigs. Light and very easy to carry. Has been dropping sound techs and roadies jaws for the last 2/3 years.

[u]Promethean P5110C[/u] - This combo is great for home or band practise. I've used it a lot in gigs when space or assembly time was premium. Great for accoustig gigs.

[u]Trace Elliot Boxer 15[/u] - My first amp, has no real worl value so i keep it. I've used it a few times at home when i've left the Promethean in the practise room or in the van.

[u]Vox AC1RV Bass[/u] - It's on its way to me as i write this. I bought it to use with the Uke Bass as it runs on batteries and seems the best portable solution for those busking sessions. It has the added drum machine, should be handy.

[b]Pedals:[/b]

[u]Korg Pitchblack / MXR Octave Deluxe / Darkglass B3K / 3Leaf GR / EBS Multicomp[/u] - This is my main pedalboard, use all the fx here and there. Self explanatory and justifiable.

[u]Driver (Fulltone Bass Drive Mosfet Clone)[/u] - Had this custom made for me, i drawn the graphics. Sounds good but not as good as the B3K. I keep it because it was personalized for and by me. Don't use it, can't justify keeping it appart from the sentimental aspect.

[u]Zoom B3[/u] - Got this as a backup for the pedalboard for it's simplicity, great sound, easy to setup and the DI that alows me to go straight in to the mixer in jams or reharsals/gigs that i don't take my amp.

I think it's all, thinking about it i don't forsee a buy or a sale in the close future (except, maybe, the BB1000S... maybe...) and i'm pretty happy with my current setup.

Am i GAS free? Don't be ridiculous, we all know that's a myth!

Cheers

Ok here goes...

Kramer fretless five string. My 18th birthday present, til death do us part. Bought in the old Musicyo days and when I was in an incredible band (seriously, best I've ever been in) and I was playing bass for three or four hours every day and night. I love this bass. Its had many stable-mates but this is the keeper, the one that has been my only ever bass for substantial parts of the 14 years I've had it. I know it so well. Only issue is it looks very "hair metal" which isn't great on acoustic folk night... Justification: Birthday present, fretless.

MIM Fender Jazz - the only original bits left are the body and neck. The previous owner made good upgrades, Schaller tuners, Badass II bridge... and I kept going. Bone nut, Bartolini pickups. Now I want to put a sunburst body on it and possibly de-fret it. I keep it for slap and anything requiring (hahaha "requiring") string bends or a zingy metallic sound. Really, it doesn't get much use. I also am terrible at slap.
Justification: decent backup. One day I may learn slap and this will be the go-to bass.

MIJ Fender P, 1970 re-issue, the "Sid Vicious". This has a Steve Harris sig pickup (from previous owner) and the sig strings. Big tone does not begin to describe it. Its my go-to bass now. It does two sounds, big and fat finger-style or big and fat pick play (not often). Perfect bass for cutting through a mix. It may get a more traditional sounding pickup and thinner strings soon, but they will be flats. I really do have a good bond with this bass. What would improve it? Maybe a big humbucker at the bridge? I'm toying with that idea...
Justification: right for most styles of music, great for getting the bass through the mix, a real live-playing bass.

Amps - just sold my 500w Trace rig. It was awesome. Got a combo possibly coming in. I could not justify that rig, hence its gone.

Effects - the board is getting quite full now: Behringer tuner/ mute ; EHX micro Q-Tron ; Boss Flanger (old brown ver) ; Hartke Bass Attack ; Boss LMB2 (for the fretless only) ; Zoom 506 ; all on a Gator board. I can justify all of these in that they all get used on at least one song... the Zoom is there as a headphone practice tool but I may want to add either octave or delay occasionally and I can't get away with buying more pedals.

Zoom recording device - recording rehearsals proves I wasn't in the pub.

How do I justify it all? I used to be in a really good covers band. That was a long time ago. Since then I've played with mates and done open mics and some small gigs. I joined a band last year that's having difficulty getting going but I really want this to be a regular gigging band and that will justify all the gear.

American Special PB, I'd worked a 75 hour week on a business trip, and had a free day to visit the guitar shop before my flight home :D
Peavey cirrus first bass, bought on a home leave visit to take back to the desert cos I was borrowing a bass there.
Littlemark 250 Blackline, doesn't need justification. small, light, and more than I need playing in a pub covers band
Markbass 210 traveller. as above
Ashdown Mibass cab. Bought as a small light cab but wasn't really man enough. Is good at collecting dust and getting in the way.
Small practice amp thingy what I used to practice on before I got my own gigging gear
Pedals, apart from the tuner are completely unnecessary, but they give me additional sounds without too much effort, and look nice with all those LEDS....
The six string stuff:
Patrick eggle new york stage. My first proper guitar.
Fender Texmex Telecaster, upgraded with SD electrics. For that single coil sound
S&P SP6 spruce. Honestly I only went to buy some strings and came out of the shop with it.
Fender Sonoran thinline acoustic electric. Fancied a plug in, and it was ridiculously cheap
HH 100 VS amp hand me down from my older brother, the matching 4x4 was wrecked and scrapped long ago

[b]Basses [/b]
Bachus 5 string super jazz
overwater by tanglewood jazz 5

[b]Amps [/b]
little mark 3
traveler 2x10
markbass std 1x15

[b]Pedals[/b]

Visual volume pedal
polytune 2
Sansamp bass driver di

bachus is my main bass it sounds lovely feels completely comfortable to play for the gigs that i do i need a 5 string for the lower notes (tributes and Musicals mostly)

Overwater 5 - Backup to the bachus as well as being used on some songs where i need a slightly deeper bottom end (its 35" scale rather than the bachus which is 34") which imo gives it more balls down the bottom end which is perfect for songs such as its my life and wanted dead or alive which involve a lot of B string action

Little mark 3 never let me down yet and i like the markbass sound

2x10 perfect for throwing in the car or onto a trolley for around town gigs where i don't need massive amounts of noise behind me

1x15 - where i want to stack something below the 2x10 for the look of using a large amp (doing 80's tribute bands with a small amp doesn't really look right) but is still light enough not to break my back carrying it around

volume pedal - pretty self explanatory really for silent tuning and getting rid of extraneous noises during quite parts where i'm not playing mostly used as an on off switch but is nicer sounding to fade in than just using the mute on my tuner

polytune - because playing out of tune is overrated

sansamp - when i do foreign festival dates this is the main part of my bass sound (i set the backline as flat as possible and use this to shape the sound) also DI'ing from this means that i know i'm sending the di sound i want out to front of house and that its consistent (to a point) between venues also the one i have has two inputs so that i can have both basses plugged in at the same time

any questions?

Dingwall prima - state of the art bass with a full range of pickup sounds. Lives at home unless gigging.
Dingwall combustion - lives in rehearsal studio. Having two Dingwalls means that practising I don't have to lug anything from home to rehearse.
Vanderkley amp and two cabs. Beautiful sound and thunderously loud while remaining clear. I'll never need another rig.
Gmajor effects gives the rig tiny aural tweaks as necessary
TC BG 250 - lives in rehearsal studio.

I've got 2 basses, one if which I don't really use but won't sell because it's not worth an awful lot. The there's one amp, one cab a couple of stands, a case for each bass, some cables and a Zoom B1on I use for home practice. Just enough to do what I need to do.