Why become a member? ×

Justify your Gear!

CamdenRob

It's taken me more than 25 + years to aquire the gear in my signature - lot's of it pre loved - and that's not including my analogue 'home studio', which is now mostly in storage.

Can I justify ANY of it..? not really, but it's been one heck of a journey - and I'm all the 'richer' for it.............. :)

HD350 and 2 cabs, for big and small gigs. Sandberg TM5 for big and small gigs.

Stingray 5 because it's too modified to sell, Ibanez Roadster because it's too cheap to sell, Larkin acoustic because it's a custom (people don't buy customs), P bass because it's too nice to sell and Squier Bronco because it's actually my girlfriends.

Now I don't know how to justify 4 compressor pedals, 3 drive/distortion pedals and at least a dozen other pedals, but they are useful for distracting my 2 year old when I want to get anything done.

You guys know any players that for all practicle purposes are oblivious to their gear and anyone else's?

Do your band mates know what type of bass and amp you use?

Gear is the first thing I look at. If I come see you play, I'll be checking out what kind of bass your using, your amp, pedals and your skills.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1455952386' post='2983854']

I honestly couldn't have put this better.

My gear isn't a vanity project; i like the Thunderbird shape, so have pursued that course. I don't need five or six of them, but it's nice to have a choice.
[/quote]

Some of it's vanity. I mean when I play my Les Paul Gibson Gold Top or my Gibson ES-335 it's vanity because to me they look so cool.

Most of the time I'm playing one of my MIJ Fender P basses.

Blue

I have one bass (Acg), 1 combo amp (trace elliot), couple of leads and two tuners a cheap Korg one and a old Peterson strobe one for setting up. Sometimes I have one or two effects.

So I run the bare min, so don't really need too justify. I would like too have another amp thats more suitable for home use and I would like to have a few more effects and some basic recording equipment but again easy to justify.

My gf wants me too justify why I must insist on switching my main and only bass several times a year, month or even every week. That I can't justify fully even too myself, especially as my playing level isn't that high. Love the Acg I now have though and can't see me parting with it for some time.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1456216192' post='2986593']
My gf wants me too justify why I must insist on switching my main and only bass several times a year, month or even every week. That I can't justify fully even too myself, especially as my playing level isn't that high. Love the Acg I now have though and can't see me parting with it for some time.
[/quote]

Makes perfect sense to me to keep trading basses until you find one your happy with :)

[/quote]

If you can afford it without forcing your family into penury then that's justification enough.

Nice basses make you play better because they inspire you to pick them up & practice more.

That's my philosophy anyway.

[/quote]

Ask her to justify all the shoes she buys first.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1456216317' post='2986595']

Makes perfect sense to me to keep trading basses until you find one your happy with :)
[/quote]
[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1456217899' post='2986616']

If you can afford it without forcing your family into penury then that's justification enough.

Nice basses make you play better because they inspire you to pick them up & practice more.

That's my philosophy anyway.
[/quote]

Both great points!

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1456218127' post='2986620']

Ask her to justify all the shoes she buys first.
[/quote]

Ah my gf is very frugal and great with money she won't buy anything unless it really is needed or its on offer or she can get it in bulk.
Thinking about it she should be praising me as I started off this year with a squire bronco and 200 quid in my pocket and without any other outlay cash wise via trades and sales I've now got an Acg custom. So I think I've did well as we are only two months in too the year. Wal by the time for Xmas?

Hmmm given me some good ammo next time the face comes out on acquiring a different bass haha.

As others have said, the real answer is because I could afford them and I like them (nay, love them)! But for the purposes of craic...

Aria SB700 - my first ever bass. Not played much now but great sentimental value (18th birthday pressie from mum and dad). Too lovely ever to sell.

Wal Mk1 Custom - fell in love with the Wal sound watching Robbie Burns demo some Marshall amps at the London Music Show in 1988 and thought, "I'd love one but could never justify the price". Bought mine second hand in 1993 for £500. Been my main bass ever since. Will never sell.

Wal Pro II E - thought it would be cool to own one since they are lovely basses and sound great. Found a second hand one in a local shop and after a haggling session that lasted 18 months (it really was stupidly over priced) bought it in 2001 or 2002 for £550. Has been my second bass ever since - always took two basses to the gigs when I was in a function/covers band and used both across the set. Will never sell.

Frankenjazz - bought cheap off eBay as a project bass. Turned out properly lovely and got used regularly for many years until I loaned it to a producer chum. It now earns its keep in his studio and I suspect I may never ever get it back... :)

Tony Revell Custom acoustic bass - bought as an indulgence from my share of the band recording fund when the folk band I played in split up. Lovely, unique. Paid dividends when I was effectively housebound with ME for two years in the mid 90s.

Faith Titan Neptune Bass - bought a couple of years ago because we started doing acoustic nights at church and the TRevell has no pickup and is too delicate to drag around.

Markbass LMII, Traveler 2x10 and Traveler 1x15 - a really great sounding flexible rig which has seen me right in a myriad of different contexts and venues... Back line only gigs, clubs with PAs, marquees, hotel function rooms, church, prison gigs, local festivals, wine bar gigs...

Polytune pedal - essential piece of kit
Tech 21 Sansamp VT DI - because we've now gone amp free at church
Ancient Boss CE2B chorus, EHX Pulsar tremolo (a gift from a friend), Morely Bass Dual Wah - all I need for additional textures and more.
Lehle 3@1 - for switching basses when I was in the band and used two on stage

Edited by TrevorR

Stingray 4hh
PA system (2 x Yamaha DXR15 + allen and heath desk)
Genz Shuttle 6.2 + 2x10 cab
Pedal board

I need the above for rehearsing or gigging and its my go-to kit so all justifiable.

The rest (below) is a bit harder to justify:

93 stingray 4h
Bongo 5hh
Sadowsky rvhpj4
Phil Jones bass cub
Genz Benz streamliner 600
Genz Benz Focus 115 cab
Genz Benz Nx2 212 cab

Well, 15 years ago! And priced to the "current market value" price quoted in an article in The Guitar Magazine... So, yeah Both my Wals for about 500 quid each (many moons ago)... "Engaging 'Smug mode', Mr Rimmer, Sir!"

Full stories here... http://walbasshistory.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/my-basses-1978-wal-pro-series-bass.html

And here... http://walbasshistory.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/my-basses-1985-wal-custom-4-string-bass.html

Edited by TrevorR

My main rig is geared to my band - which is a Pink Floyd Tribute.

Its a fairly simple set-up : Fender MIA Precision Deluxe as the main axe (Blk/Maple of course!) with a Vintage V4MTB for back up and a Bass Collection Speakeasy 4 for the Fretless work. All these running through an Ampeg PF500 amp paired with both 1x15 & 4x10 cabs. The effects are dialled in as and when from a Boss GT10.

All basses were bought from new including a much loved beautiful 10 year MIM Jazz. To this day it is still my single most favourite bass that i have ever played – it just ‘feels’ so right. There is also an Ibanez acoustic for twanging around on the sofa...

I'm very fortunate to be part of a music-loving family who have an appreciation and understanding of the need for investment in both music instruments and equipment – if it is to be of benefit.

As the saying goes "where theres a will, theres a way..."

Hmm...
Kit-build Precision: my father and I built it together, and it's travelled around with me since I was 16. Unimaginable sentimental value.

Epiphone EB-3: budget attempt to get closer to John Entwistle's Quadrophenia-era sound (it was more convincing than the Epi T-birds in the same price range), and became a staple bass in defining Cherry White's sound.

Frankenbass built from eBay parts: an experiment. Good fun to make, and I'm actually quite pleased with the results. But I doubt any bugger would buy it from me.

Schecter Model T: halfway-house between a MIM and MIA Fender. It was entirely justified in the period when I was still building the Frankenbass and refurbishing the kit-built Precision. Less justified now but it sounds awesome and plays like a dream.

Hagstrom HB-8: first 8-string bass I'd ever seen in the flesh. It would have been rude not to buy it.

Gibson Thunderbird: BECAUSE IT'S BEAUTIFUL. Though I do wonder if it's made the EB-3 kind of redundant. Maybe I should view the EB-3 as an important backup in case either (i) something unthinkable happens to the Gibson, or (ii) we don't have space to get the Gibson's enormous coffin case in the back of the van.

Fender MIM Fretless Jazz: it's a fretless. And I did part-ex my previous fretless (Warwick RB) to buy it, so it's not like I'm clinging on to [i]all [/i]of them...

(Or, in full, https://thecrowfrombelow.wordpress.com/2013/10/17/why-do-you-need-this-many-guitars/ ...well, I've since added a Fender Jazz fretless to the lineup, so it's already slightly out of date!)