Why become a member? ×

concept albums

Stu-khag

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1455173958' post='2976591']

Well, I never said Duke was a great story... ;-) I'd always thought/heard that the other tracks had also been loosely woven about that faded rock star midlife crisis theme/story which bookend the album, with liberal drawing on Collins' messy life of the time. Happy to file under "theme" rather than story, though.

Good call, forgot that one. Love that album.

I'll also chuck in Home ( and the NewYork Suite mini album) by Welsh proggers Magenta, Snow by Spock's Beard and with a loose storyline, Clone by Threshold...
[/quote]Point taken re Duke. It's also worth remembering this was 1980 and the dinosaur bands had been given a caning through the punk years. Any mention of concepts was unwise. All explained in the Duke interviews available on YouTube.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1455191425' post='2976807']
Point taken re Duke. It's also worth remembering this was 1980 and the dinosaur bands had been given a caning through the punk years. Any mention of concepts was unwise. All explained in the Duke interviews available on YouTube.
[/quote]

Genesis thread derail alert:

Yep - I always thought 'Burning Rope' from ATTWT was a commentary on the onset of punk.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1455159643' post='2976583']
Snow by Spock's Beard is worth listening to.

It's a bit of an overdone story (Young malcontent, cast away by family, takes drugs, befriends a prostitute, becomes famous, nearly dies, finds God) and I think they've padded it out a bit to fit on two discs, but the production is good, the band sound great and it's a bit of fun.

Love Dave Meros by the way. He really does have a distinct style that I've only noticed recently after not having listened to Spock's Beard for a year or two.
[/quote]

Good choice and a great album.

In a similar vein can I offer for consideration IQ's Subterranea.

Anyone mentioned Kate Bush yet? I'm thinking of 'The Dreaming',''Hounds of Love's The Ninth Wave', 'Aerial'.. All fantastic IMHO..

As are Prince's 'Purple Rain', Bowie's 'Diamond Dogs', 'Low'...

And does Tubular Bells count as a concept album (if it hasn't already been mentioned)?

Alice coopers - From the inside has a theme based on characters who have committed crimes while suffering from mental illness.
Supposedly Alice met these characters while he was drying out in a clinic which sounds a little far fetched. I like the album and the songs follow a common theme with a gatefold sleeve on the lp.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1455042056' post='2975363']
Olias of Sunhillow, absolutely sublime album!
[/quote]

+1 for olias

smallcreep's day ?

thing fish

probably not everybody idea of concept album but janelle monae's archandroid has a bit of a concept feel for me

[s]seventh[/s] ninth wave (ok so its only half an album)

todd rundgren's initiation

too many bill nelson albums to mention - red noise sound on sound would possibly be a good one coming in on the post punk era

tubes - completion backward principle

Edited by steve-bbb

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1455024810' post='2975118']
Yeah, it's garbage. They should never have bothered.
[/quote]

Chris DeGarmo was really the musical creative force behind Queesryche, they were pretty much doomed when he left.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1455231979' post='2977420']
If you want something a bit more metal, Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime is a masterpiece, the storyline and lyrics are interesting and the music, for me, makes it one of the finest albums of it's generation.
[/quote]

And as bonus it has what is IMO the best recorded rock bass sound ever.

Agreed, the bass tone is awesome on Mindcrime, and, to be fair, most of Queensryches earlier stuff. Their later stuff was so drab I never noticed if the bass sounded any good. Strangely enough I'm quite enjoying the new album with the new singer ( sorry Mr Tate!!), much more in their earlier style, though I suspect a less kind fan would scream " rip off"...

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1455036987' post='2975289']
I guess Bowie's Ziggy Stardust would count ...
[/quote]

I've always listened to it in that way, but first-hand accounts in the (many) Bowie biographies I've read suggest it didn't start out that way - the concept came out of the songs, not the other way round. Still one of my favourite albums after 40 years of listening!

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1455036987' post='2975289']
... but definitely 1.Outside. I just wish he'd got round to finishing the proposed trilogy.
[/quote]

It could still happen. Bowie said that 1, Outside had come from about 20 hours of improv, so who knows what other finished songs may now see the light of day. I live in hope.

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1455022860' post='2975069']
At the other end of the scale you have stuff like Iron Maiden's 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son', where apparently there was a story being told but to this day I have no idea what that story was,apart from a vague idea that it might have had something to do with wizards.
[/quote]

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1455024179' post='2975103']
7th Son of a 7th Son is about a child born with mystical powers: and the rush to kill him before they fully awaken and brings doom on everyone etc.
[/quote]
I understand that 7th Son was supposed to be a "proper" concept album, but for whatever reason that idea was dropped. The story is all there but the tracks are jumbled up. If you wanted to hear the story you have to reorder the album. I have done it, but it took some fiddling programming the CD player. These days with computers it'd be easy:)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1455448391' post='2979108']
I concur!
[/quote]
Me too. I recall reading an interview with Eddie Jackson once where he said a key part of his recorded sound was a thing he called The Trunk -- basically a flightcase containing a mic and a 12" speaker that was cranked to the very edge of destruction and the sound mixed in alongside the clean tone.