Why become a member? ×

concept albums

Stu-khag

Hello, I'm about to start some research in work about concept albums.
In the past I've read mentions of albums here and If you google it lots of them come up and there are whole wiki pages to devoted to them but I'd to see what everyone here would be interested in seeing being mentioned in a tv programme.
I'm trying to put together a diverse range of albums genre and era wise so if you have any thoughts then I'd love to hear from you all

stu

Very obviously "SF Sorrow" by The Pretty Things, but you could also include their subsequent album "Parachute" which had an Urban side and a Pastoral side.

More modern concept albums should include the first two offerings from Mansun - "Attack Of The Grey Lantern" and "Six".

There are definitely degrees of story telling when it comes to concept albums.

At one end of the spectrum you have 'The Wall' by Pink Floyd or 'Tommy' by the Who where there is a relatively clear and easy to follow story being told accross the album.

At the other end of the scale you have stuff like Iron Maiden's 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son', where apparently there was a story being told but to this day I have no idea what that story was,apart from a vague idea that it might have had something to do with wizards.

Depends how broadly you want to cast your net, of course, but you could argue that a storyline is sufficient, but not a necessary condition for a concept album. I'm sure some would contend that [i]The Who Sell Out [/i]qualifies as a concept album because it's based around a theme of making a studio album sound like a pirate radio station. Ditto Pink Floyd's [i]Wish You Were Here [/i]if one treats the whole thing as an extended tribute-to-Syd-and-analysis-of-the-music-business-that-chewed-him-up. [i]SMiLE [/i]and [i]Court of the Crimson King [/i]may also qualify under these criteria.

Still, here's an example of one with a storyline, but which is definitely outside of the prog-rock umbrella that many fall under: [i]Hooverphonic Presents Jackie Cane[/i] (Definitely divided the fans; I loved it.)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1455023033' post='2975073']
I suppose as well as the obvious, you should include one of the first - Frank Sinatra's 'In the Wee Small Hours'.
[/quote]

Although wouldn't something like the 1812 Overture have a stronger claim?

Clockwork Angels - Rush
2112 - (the A Side anyway) - Rush

Tales from Topographic Oceans - Yes

Duke - Genesis (loosely)

As mentioned: Scenes from a Memory and The Astonishing by Dream Theater (they also have Disc 2 of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, which is one long piece in multiple parts.)

7th Son of a 7th Son is about a child born with mystical powers: and the rush to kill him before they fully awaken and brings doom on everyone etc.

Edited by Daz39

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1455024212' post='2975106']
"Operation Mindcrime" - Queensryche
[/quote]
Good one. Great album. The sequel is rubbish though.

Also pretty much anything by Coheed & Cambria is one long story thing going on, across the albums.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1455024810' post='2975118']
Yeah, it's garbage. They should never have bothered.
[/quote]
The perils of money. I have put off listening to it for years and finally Spotified it last week.
Ugh. Talk about thrown together in a week.

Muse - Absolution (just about) and Drones.