Why become a member? ×

Narrow Neck 5

Stealth

As above, ibanez have got the market cornered with super slim necks and narrow spacing, with something for everyone in the soundgear range. Warwick also have the 16.5mm spacing, but the necks are chunkier round the back. It seems the chunkiness varies depending on the year though, so buying blind isn't a good idea. My 2008 Corvette isn't a baseball bat, but it's not soundgear slim. I do find though,that I like a fatter neck when the string spacing is narrow... not sure why, it just feels right. Its definately easier on the fretting hand, but the problem is that I use the B string as much as any other, and when I'm not playing the Lakland, I wish I was, because of the usability of the B.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1453809587' post='2962904']
SGC Nanyo Bass Collection 5 strings also have narrow string spacing and, despite the quality, usually sell for next to nothing secondhand.
[/quote]

My Bass Collection (SB315) is 19mm at the bridge which is the same as the Lakland. Maybe a touch less at the nut though, but not by much. It is a great slim neck though, and 34" scale.

[quote name='Stealth' timestamp='1453768787' post='2962668']
Can anyone recommend a 5 string with a narrow neck and close string spacing. I have a Lakland Joe Osborne but its a bit of a strech for complex stuff budget is around £1k less if poss
[/quote]

Depends how tight you want the string spacing :-)

As Cameron said, Ibanez SR models come with 16.5mm spacing which is fairly narrow but if you want to go closer, the Ibanez AGB205 (http://www.ibanez.com/products/eb_page15.php?year=2015&area_id=3&cat_id=2&series_id=57&data_id=102&color=CL01) has 15mm string spacing, so it's really compact. It is 30.3" scale length though which isn't to everyone's taste. I've actually had my hands on one of these and I found the 15mm a bit too close for me but it might be an option for you :-)

If you were thinking even narrower than 15mm, the Ibanez GVB36 (http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eb_page15.php?year=2015&cat_id=2&series_id=65&data_id=149&color=CL01) goes down to 14mm string spacing. Again, I've played this and I actually found it more comfortable than the AGB205, which was surprising! It is a 6 string rather than 5 you were looking for but it very much feels like a standard 5 string neck but with 6 strings. Again, might be another option :-)

Edited by skej21

Yamaha BB has a nut width of 42mm, same as a 4-string P. But the comfiest 5 string neck I've had is my Warwick though - it has narrower spacing at the bridge, the neck doesn't look too slim but somehow it feels like it is and fits my small hands perfectly!

Ibanez SR, especially the ones from the Prestige series are very good sounding and comfortable instuments (SR3005, 5005 or the neck-trough 1005) and they should fit into your budget. They are 34" scale lenght .

Another option is the Spector Euro 5 models. The recent ones have quite slim and narrow neck, 17mm spacing and very punchy and useful sound. They are 35" just like the DJ5.

I gig with an Ibanez SRA305 for these exact reasons. The entire Ibanez SR line (save the fanned fret instruments) have essentially the same 45mm nut and 18mm string spacing at the bridge; the only differences are the brands of active pickups and types of onboard e.q. and the exotic wood treatment as you go up the model number ladder. They are well balanced, consistent in manufacturing quality, and good value-for-money.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1453839633' post='2963365']
How do you guys cope with 14/15/16 mm spacing??
[/quote]
Badly.

For 5s, Try SGC Nanyo Bass Collection, despite what someone said earlier in the thread.
Try Yamaha BB ditto, my BBNE2 is 18mm at the bridge. My TRB5P Mk1 was 19mm with a fretboard like the deck of an aircraft carrier.
MTD Kingston has a nice wide spacing.
Fender 5s are 19mm.
Stingray 5 is 17.5mm at the bridge, about the narrowest I can cope with.
Maruszczyk will make wider spacings.

For 6s, you're going to struggle to get anything much more than 17mm unless you go the custom route.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1453840909' post='2963383']
For 6s, you're going to struggle to get anything much more than 17mm unless you go the custom route.
[/quote]

MTD Kingston 6's have 18mm spacing, Yamaha TRB-6II have 19mm, Warwick Streamers have 20mm I believe.
But you are right, there isn't a great selection.

Modulus, Zon, and Pedulla all do 5 string basses with 17.5mm spacing. Pricey though...

Peavey USA did great basses with 17.5mm spacing and narrowish nuts - GV bass, Millennium 5 bass, and the Cirrus 5. All can be obtained secondhand. Or you can get the cheaper Grind BXP, Millennium BXP.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1454012605' post='2965497']
Criky imagine the neck dive on a Ricky with an extra tuner added to it!
[/quote]

If they're full weight tuners it might feel a little neck heavy - remember the body is probably solid maple (fairly heavy) and the upper horn where the strap connects is pretty close to the 12th fret... so neck dive shouldn't be an issue like a longscale SG style bass for example: