Why become a member? ×

Unexpected models from Ernie Ball Musicman

Musicman20

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1453390547' post='2959072']
Ugly, and yet another confusing name that's already been used.

Miffed. :(
[/quote]

Agreed. Ernie Ball are seriously bad with naming their products, so much potential for confusion for the average customer.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1453387171' post='2959026']
So they went for a PJ and a P in a J and P type bodys... where have i seen that? :ph34r:

From the close ups i was hoping that they would look more like the Sabre basses, in body shape.
[/quote]

Would be so much nicer if they used that body shape, the Sabre shape looks so good, but the tone is always a bit weird, it would be a perfect starting point for a P or PJ tho.

Both all kinds of fugly! What on earth are they thinking? I love music man stuff, I thought the new Sabres in the cool colours were amazing, but these just look a bit naff.

I got all excited thinking they had released a graphite neck stingray/sabre again. To be honest I would look at the new Sandberg VM5 HH now that the Sabre has gone. Great colours and it even looks similar with the new body shape.

The concept is a good one, since I find Musicman basses aesthetically pleasing and they make lovely necks, but I've never quite got into the whole active thing. So I guess these are aimed at people who feel the same way. It would have been nice if they had a few more nods to the classic stingray/sabre style visually though.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1453405160' post='2959296']
Both all kinds of fugly! What on earth are they thinking? I love music man stuff, I thought the new Sabres in the cool colours were amazing, but these just look a bit naff.

I got all excited thinking they had released a graphite neck stingray/sabre again. To be honest I would look at the new Sandberg VM5 HH now that the Sabre has gone. Great colours and it even looks similar with the new body shape.
[/quote]

The Stingray can still be had in HH form - I'm glad I got a Classic Sabre but having been and tried a number out, I felt they were too similar to my Ray HH to justify buying one.......... until the Neptune blue package appeared with mahogany body and roasted oil and wax finish neck - basically the Sabre has never sold well in any of its three incarnations.

The problem with the design is a common one - they've got right on the Fender body shape bandwagon, positioned the pickups in the usual place and then visually the only thing they can work with is the scratchplate, so they change the shape of that. Unfortunately, the shape of these scratchplates don't take any visual cues from the body shape, and so don't work at all. At least Sandberg had the good sense to make their scratchplate changes minimal.