Why become a member? ×

Unexpected models from Ernie Ball Musicman

Musicman20

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1453386138' post='2959013']
A total break from the history of Musicman, straight into the history of Fender.
[/quote]

Actually, the sense of this has just hit me. Musicman history IS (Leo) Fender history. So it's all OK.

In fact, all of the big brands are copying each other now. Fender copying G&L L-2000 with the Dimension, and now Musicman copying Fender with these P/J types. How long until Fender ends up copying itself ?!

Sadly I think EBMM may have come to the conclusion that although the Ray will always be a popular bass, the market is currently swaying towards indie bands playing passive P and J basses. The huge popularity of the P bass (yes, it has always been a popular bass, and probably the one we all associate with electric bass, but recently the whole superjazz popularity has dropped for a simple P bass) is probably something they wanted to experiment with.

If the tone Is anything like the Big Al in passive mode, they could be excellent.

Does the old smoothie have truss rod access at both ends? Or is that just a dark plug at the headstock end?

I can't imagine that moving the string tree across to the g string would have enough effect to justify it unless you needed access to the rod?

Had heard about the 10 pole pickup in an early prototype before and wondered if it would ever make an appearance... I wonder if it's a stock 5 string pickup?

As for the Caprice and Cutlass basses, it will be very interesting to hear how these sound and feel to play. I like the look of the split P type pick up with large exposed poles - reminiscent of one of the earliest Stingray prototypes.

If they are as good as the Big Al then that will be excellent. I'm not sure about people saying meh on the basis of one or two pictures - oh I almost forgot - it's a bass forum where such things are de rigeur.....