Why become a member? ×

Do you listen to the Lyrics or the Music.?

bubinga5

I'm pleased with the responses! Indeed, I too have a partner who is totally amazed that I have no idea what some of my favourite songs are about - or even what most of the lyrics actually are!

When I am asked why I started playing bass, I tell people that one of the reasons is that I discovered that I hummed bass lines when ever I was singing along to a song. I must have been a weird little boy to listen to ha ha ha!

Yes I always listen to the lyrics and think deeply on the meanings.

Some give there meaning up easily.
Some take a while to figure out.
Others are not meant to be figured out.
I'm still talking about lyrics, and not women btw haha.

Music to me is like a little book with pretty tunes behind the words, giving the story texture and emotion.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1453034896' post='2955725']
Some give there meaning up easily.
Some take a while to figure out.
Others are not meant to be figured out.
I'm still talking about lyrics,
and not women btw haha.

Music to me is like a little book
with pretty tunes behind the words,
giving the story
texture and emotion.
[/quote]

Wow!
I don't have a single clue about lyrics, and am only able to listen to the music - even when I try to write down the lyrics - but these lyrics must be some of the best poetry ever!

;)

The lyrics. In almost all cases, the lyrics make the song for me. This is partly why I love Billy Bragg and Eric Bogle and partly why I don't like the Chili Peppers more recent stuff as the lyrics have become almost entirely nonsensical. I always sing along with the songs I am playing. Fortunately most of the singing along is done off mic.

Depends a lot on the genre of music. Lyrics in rock and funk can be complete rubbish if the power or groove are strong. Likewise,a lot of ballads can have average music but the lyrics can make the song special. Great music is a combination of both.

Music is what I listen to 99% of the time. If I'm completely honest, I'm extremely picky about vocals on songs which results me often listening to music trying to mentally block out the singer. I also listen to quite a lot of music that isn't sung in English meaning I can't really do anything about the lyrics other than google them.

If it's a band where I like the vocals I'll usually listen to the lyrics and the music as a whole.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1453034389' post='2955711']
When I am asked why I started playing bass, I tell people that one of the reasons is that I discovered that I hummed bass lines when ever I was singing along to a song. I must have been a weird little boy to listen to ha ha ha!
[/quote]

I kinda just decided, in my 40's, 'I'm gonna learn to play music' took be about 30 seconds to realise, I did exactly that, hum basslines,..since I was about 11. Starting to play was a long time comin'!!
As an alternative take on lyrics, I've always loved Yes, the lyrics never made that much sense, but the [i]flow [/i]of the words, and how they fell with the music, made them just as important as the music, even though I had no clue what it was all about!

To an impressionable 12 year old, that made yes all the more mysterious!!!

Primarily the music, although sometimes the singist has poor diction and consequently the words are indecipherable, and I find that annoying. I need to be able to make out the lyrics, though I may not actually listen to what they're saying. I write lyrics myself and I want the lyrics to be heard properly in my songs (in case anyone actually bothers with them), and it seems to me that anyone who writes lyrics would also feel that way.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1453065356' post='2956141']
Seems on balance here that I'm wasting my time writing lyrics that are carefully crafted with the occasional poetic device to mean something (or sometimes more than one thing...) :(
[/quote]

Only if you perform to an audience of nothing but bass players.