Why become a member? ×

RIP David Bowie

rubis

If ever a musician was deserving of the description "artist", it was Bowie. Never dull, never predictable.
I've seen a number of comments on farcebook along the lines of "he hasn't died, he's just returned to his home planet". It'd be nice to think this was true.
Ashes to ashes.

I was genuinely shocked and felt the need to sit down. We are unlikely to see his kind again, truly fearless in his approach to his art, never scared to change, never standing still. He will be one of the immortals, as his output will live on and on.

Moderators ( or anyone else who may be able to help )
I have been PM'd with a request to change the title to "David Bowie RIP" as being more fitting, which of course is fine by me, but I'm not sure how to do it, bear in mind also, that I'm at work on my phone at the moment

Thanks in advance

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1452520875' post='2950732']
Moderators ( or anyone else who may be able to help )
I have been PM'd with a request to change the title to "David Bowie RIP" as being more fitting, which of course is fine by me, but I'm not sure how to do it, bear in mind also, that I'm at work on my phone at the moment

Thanks in advance
[/quote]Edit the original post and select Full Editor at the bottom, then you can edit the title.

Absolutely, utterly devastated today, but so, so grateful for every word, every melody and every moment of his brilliant inspirational music.

When I was a kid first playing in bands in the mid 70's, Bowie was the one we all looked up to and aspired to be like. It wasn't just about his voice, or the songwriting or even the sound of his records - all of which were amazing to me - but it was about trying to work out where he was going next artistically, because with each new album, he did something different, groundbreaking and exciting that made you think again.

It's been said many times before, but each new Bowie album in that 1970-80 period really was a big event!

It won't ever be quite the same now, knowing that there'll be no more new Bowie music and ideas to look forward to.

RIP David Bowie.

One of the most magical moments for me at a gig was when someone in the crowd nearby set off a rocket that somehow was timed to the second with the countdown sequence in 'Space Oddity' - pretty certain this was at Milton Keynes Bowl in 1990. Odd to think that Bowie has now left Earth and won't be coming back. RIP.

Different people react to things in different ways. Personally it made me feel a bit better to listen to this skit that came up on twitter when I searched for Tony Visconti. Comments and likes suggest that others found it comforting, but I'll just give it as a link rather than inline it since some people may not find it so.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FODvjYoVEi8"]https://www.youtube....h?v=FODvjYoVEi8[/url]

Edited by Annoying Twit

I was knocked sideways by the news this morning. I've spent most of today feeling tearful.
He was a huge part of my musical life, it seems surreal that he's gone.
The new album is great too.
Someone said today that they'd felt like "the Elvis of our generation has passed away". To me he was far more influential than Elvis.
I actually said hello to David in Manhattan a few years back. It seemed so odd to see someone, who always appeared to be such an icon, in an everyday setting. I said, "my goodness! David Bowie! Don't you look great?". To which he smiled and replied, "why thank you my good man", and we parted.
I feel shellshocked.

Edited by kevin_lindsay

Such a shock, he was very much a part of my musical youth growing up, amazing songwriter and artist, condolences to his family, playing this somewhere I hope with Mick Ronson and Trevor Bolder

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B5zmDz4vR4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B5zmDz4vR4[/url]

RIP David Bowie, Icon and Legend :(

John

The news has laid over my day like a blanket

When I was about 12/13 years old, I studied for the O level music exam. As part of that work, I had to study Mozart's 40th. The complexity of it drove me around the bend. The process of analysing Mozart's work seemed to poison my passion for music and as a result, I almost became quite depressed.

A friend then loaned me a copy of Hunky Dory. It's beautiful simplicity was simply inspirational, it lifted my spirits from the depths and re - set my musical compass - I've never looked back since. I honestly can't express how much I owe David Bowie.

Ever since then, I've listened to Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane and Hunky Dory at least once every year, not by ritual, just for the pleasure of it.

The last time I felt this sense of loss was the day John Lennon died

Thank you David for so, so much