Why become a member? ×

The best rig you've ever had but...

ChunkyMunky

From 1981 to 1989 I was playing a 1979 Stingray through an Ampeg SVT and an Ampeg 2x15 cab. That was a fairly epic set up, but I had to flog it all to deal with a financial emergency😢 Sounded great, but I can't say I missed lugging it around. The MM was the heaviest bass I've ever owned too.

Guest Jecklin

1999-2003 Status Groove 5 through a Hartke HA3500 with 410 and 15. Fantastic!

2004 Then the post-rock gave way to sleazy electro and the bass became a status shark 4 and analogue mono synths and the amp was whatever I could borrow at gigs.

2005-2008 double bass mostly totally acoustic (mic for pa) but DIYmicro cab when absolutely necessary.

I miss all those set ups and contexts, but am more musically fulfilled than ever with my current direction.

Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 with a DB210 and a DB212. The Tone Hammer sounded epic through those cabs. I did a tour with this rig and it sounded amazing every night regardless of the size of the gig, even some big outdoor ones. It kinda defeats the point of a lightweight head having to use it with heavy weight cabs though and I never managed to get the same sound of the Tone Hammer through light weight cabs. And I had some good ones.

I currently have the best 2 rigs I've ever owned sitting in the room behind me so, of the gear I've sold, I have a dead heat between my 80's-90's rig a Dynacord BS412 115 combo and my 90's-00's rig an Ampeg SVT3 PRO through Mesa Boogie 210 & 115 cabs. These all used EV speakers, sounded like a force of nature and weighed as much as a small planet!

Unusually for me I was actually sad when I sold these rigs.

Delighted to say I currently own my best-ever rig.

Mike Lull Thunderbird T5 --> Matamp GT100 --> Barefaced 69er.

Mind you, for most pub gigs I actually play through my most sensible ever rig.

Mike Lull Thunderbird T5 --> Aguilar TH350 --> Barefaced Midget.

I loved my Eden Metro combo but it was just getting too heavy as I was getting older and so I got smaller Acoustic Image gear. I added a PJB speaker and now it sounds great but the Metro was the one. I just needed a roadie.

As for basses, I still have the one but there is a guitar I let go that I wish I could have back, an Ibanez Artist from the early 1980s

EA iAmp 800 and a couple of EBS Proline 4x10's and probably a US precision bass (I never quite got on with the Sandberg in the picture).

I was only thinking of this setup the other day, reminiscing just how epic it sounded. Complete overkill for 80% if the gigs I played but it was great to have. Not so great to transport!

[URL=http://s201.photobucket.com/user/bigthumb73/media/BigRig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/bigthumb73/BigRig.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

It's amazing how many of the above posts mention weight as a reason for gear having been disposed of!

I had a late 60's precision played through a Trace Elliott Twin Valve head and a Mesa Boogie 1516E cab, really regret selling the Precision that was a stupid move, my back certainly doesn't regret the sale of the amp and cab

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1452339092' post='2948983']
I still own it...if it was the best ever, why would I have sold it?
[/quote]
Theft
Damage
Divorce
Marriage
Lack of storage
Illness
Injury
Money troubles
Gas
Not loud enough
Unreliable