Why become a member? ×

The best rig you've ever had but...

ChunkyMunky

In 1963 I bought a 1962 Fender Precision for 60 UK Pounds. Had to sell it a year on, so I could afford to buy a guitar for the gig I was offered t the time.

Early to mid 1970s. Orange 120 watt "graphic" head into a 2x15" Orange parabolic reflector cab with Altec Lansings in it.
Bass at the time was a Rickenbacker 4001 - swapped for a Travis Bean bass in the late seventies.
Sold the Orange stuff on when I moved to the USA .

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1452420306' post='2949697']
Ashdown BTA200 into two Barefaced Super Compacts.

...sold the SCs to raise money for [b]my wedding (2 weeks to go, eek![/b]) and house move. [/quote]

Congratulations Merton - fabulous news! :)

As for best rig ever, I'm currently enjoying the sound of my BC Rich Eagle into my Ampeg V4BH head and SVT-15E cab that I bought from Beedster in October more than any other rig I've had in years...Pure tonal heaven.. :)

I don't regret moving on any of my previous basses, I liked several of them a lot, but it was all a journey to get where I am now. I tried pretty much everything to find out what I wanted....

It's different with amps / cabs as I have weight / size limitations in what I can actually get to the gig. But with basses, even given an infinite budget I would still play my current one.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1452322643' post='2948824']
Funny, no-one seems to have much nostalgia for lightweight stuff!
[/quote]

That's cos we are still using it!

Eden 4 x 10 XST and a 400W Eden amp sounds sublime, but the cab was 90 lbs and the amp nearly the same, lovely gear but I just can't be arsed to lug it around now.

In comparison to some of the posts, mine relatively low key. Best setup from days of old, Aria TSB350 into Peavey Firebass into Ashdown 2x12 Superfly cab. Sounded brilliant and not TOO heavy. Took a break from playing and sold it all. Have rebought an Aria TSB30 but I have moved on. Very happy with my current sound. Violin bass into Hartke HA3500 into ashdown classic VS212 cab. Cab a bit heavy for stairs etc but sounds great.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1452333252' post='2948886']
a Dynacord BS412 115 combo
[/quote]

Ah... The amazing Dynacord combo brilliant amp!

For me, 70s- early 80s was mainly the Aria SB 1000 through the Acoustic 370/ 301 setup- effortless sound but not effortless carrying up flights of stairs!
Replaced mid 80s with the 300w Trace head coupled with two Traynor 15/ horn PA bins- loud, full range hifi, ideal for the Steinberger L2. The rig went early 2000s but of course the Steiny will only leave when I do!!

Edited by EMG456

In the late 80s and early 90s I had a really bastardised setup:
A Trace Elliot wedge speaker (normal cab wouldn't fit in the car), a Laney bass head (tried to find pictures but can't) and a beautiful tiny tube preamp for fuzz. I lived the Laney's clean sound but the design was dreadful because the EQ slider stuck out proud of the case so all got bent.

Edited by colgraff

The most ridiculous rig I ever owned was an Ampeg B25 into an Ampeg 215 AND a Peavey MkVI into an Ampeg 810. 1979 4001, Jetglo: Rick-o-sound stereo output, split between them.

Sounded...big, but I'll let the court decide why I got rid of it all...as a clue, it had its own gravity system...

I downsized (and this might be the most ridiculous downsizing ever) to an SVT and just the 810... :o :D