Why become a member? ×

Rush

steve-soar

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1449523655' post='2924403']
As much as I love Rush I consider it a relief to be honest....their recent output turned me off. Knowing when its time to call it a day is all about timing - pardon the pun.
[/quote]

Yup. R40 is the first Rush release I haven't bought since I started following them in the late 80s. It just seems phoned in.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1449560930' post='2924562']
Following on from the Jaco thread... Rush are another band I have never heard. Any suggestions? I could do with something to listen to on the way home tonight...
[/quote]

It kinda depends what you're into - there's lots of Rushes.

Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves would be a good start. But... if you like stuff a bit poppier / glossier, maybe Power Windows. Or if you like it heavier, go back to 2112. Proggier? A Farewell to Kings or Hemispheres. 80s new-wave? Signals.

I can't recommend anything post-Counterparts, 'cos I don't really rate it. Plenty of people do, though.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1449561330' post='2924566']
It kinda depends what you're into - there's lots of Rushes.

Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves would be a good start. But... if you like stuff a bit poppier / glossier, maybe Power Windows. Or if you like it heavier, go back to 2112. Proggier? A Farewell to Kings or Hemispheres. 80s new-wave? Signals.

I can't recommend anything post-Counterparts, 'cos I don't really rate it. Plenty of people do, though.
[/quote]

Thanks for that :)

I'm just after a cross section really, Rush seem like something as a bass player I should be aware of :)

Following on from the Jaco thread... Rush are another band I have never heard. Any suggestions? I could do with something to listen to on the way home tonight...
[/quote]

A 'Best of' might be a decent idea. Spirit of Radio- Greatest Hits is a decent one. I have a few but that's the one I always end up playing. Their good songs are great, but even on those his voice in an aquired taste... or bloody awful as I prefer to call it (though he's not done badly out of it, so what do I know?). On album fillers, of which there are plenty, it's just intolerable.

[/quote]

There is a collection called "Chronicles," which takes in quite a large chunk of their back catalogue - I'm fairly sure it includes key snippets from [i]2112, Moving Pictures,[/i] and a lot of the stuff in between. Not sure which era it takes you up to, but it's probably worth a punt.

[/quote]
I would not suggest a compilation or best of, as their albums have a seamless quality that require listening from start to finish IMO. Most of the punters I know would go with 'Moving Pictures' as being at the top of the list. If that album does not float your boat, then it just might be that Rush are not for you.

Coincidentally I listened to 'Moving Pictures' (on Vinyl of course :) ) last night and it sounds as fresh and impressive as ever, truly awsome. It just demanded my full attention and every note was just magical IMO. Not sure if I could listen to it whilst driving home from work and expect the same satisfying result.

As for Peart retiring, well I say the very best of luck to him. If his body or soul is not up to it, then there is no point. He and Rush owe us nothing and better that they get out on top, unlike some other acts of their generation, who just plough on and sound like a shadow of who they once were.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1449522150' post='2924375']
Maybe we should send Geddy & Alex a link to the recent "Do you REALLY need a drummer?" thread...
[/quote]

Sweet. It's about time they did something different. Folk duo..? *Runs away and hides for a good long while*