Why become a member? ×

Best era for vintage Fender Ps?

Sumbabba

Hi all, I've been on the hunt for an early 70s P-bass for the last couple of weeks and it's crazy how much they're changing hands for these days. I suppose it's because 50s/60s models are so expensive now so collectors are looking at 70s basses as future investments. It's bloody annoying. As I'm a bassist I want to get one for it's sound rather than for it's potential future value! So I'm now thinking of looking at 80s P-basses even though what I'm really after is that classic Paul Jackson, Headhunters sound. So it got me thinking, can I get the same vintage tone from an 80s P-bass and are 80s ones better made than 70s ones anyway (as I've read on a discussion on GearSlutz.com)? What era do you think are the best made P-basses from and are the vintage versions really worth the money? Is that the sound of a can of worms being opened?

Totally and utterly subjective.
It could be argued that the early 60's era is the best for quality control, but I've still never played a 60's Precision to beat my '71 P
Not sure I'd touch an 80's Fender, unless it was one of the Japanese 'vintage' series ones.

Si

Huge can of worms, and is dependent on what sound you`re after. If a really aggressive sound that cuts through, then late 70s ones are just great, had 3 of them and they sound like no other Precision I`ve had. If looking for a really warm full-bodied sound late 90s Precisions are gems - or at least the one I had was.

With regard to build quality, well apparently it`s hit & miss on Fenders though I`ve had many (no 80s ones mind) and never had an issue with any of them.

Really though, I`d say just try a load and buy the one you like best, or see if you can luck out on buying over the internet. I did when I bought my current 2015, it`s the best Precision I`ve had. I went for it based on the recorded sound of Spongebobs one he was selling, it just sounded so warm, rich and full, so bought one (his was the wrong colour hence why I didn`t buy it).

I would be inclined to not take too much notice of a Gearslutz discussion. There is an awful lot of nonsense spread about by a mass of so called experts. 70's Fenders usually come in for a total slating as being crap. Truth is, there were many, many good ones. I've got a 74 that is a joy to play. Of course you need to do your homework, try a few and make up your own mind.

I haven't had any experience of 80's Fenders but I do have examples from the 60's, 70's and 90's and they are all excellent.

I have a couple of Leo Fender 80's G&L's and they are exceptionally good instruments. I reckon they are a sound investment and at the moment are not commanding the prices of Fenders from the same era.

The best era for Fender P's is between '76 and '82ish - you know, when Japan were making some truly stunning law-suit instruments :) My favourite 4 stringer is a Fender yes, but my favourite precision bass is a law-suit. Cost very little and for a '76er, it is stunning!

I can certainly put some credence behind what Bassman Steve is saying, he knows his P bass VERY well, and has some amazing examples of that era he talks of, I should know, I've played them all!

My profile picture shows me in Denmark Street playing a 66 P Bass. It is WITHOUT doubt the single best instrument I've EVER played. The feel was perfect, and the sound was bliss.

It's worth trying a few and probably not having too many preconceptions about how good it should be dependant on year of manufacture. I've had two '78s and they were so different. One was super aggressive where the other was so warm and hollow sounding. Both weighed an absolute ton too. Neither played as well as my 2012 either and that did a good copy of the sound of the 78s too, dependant on what you did with the tone pot.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1449510839' post='2924210']

My profile picture shows me in Denmark Street playing a 66 P Bass. It is WITHOUT doubt the single best instrument I've EVER played. The feel was perfect, and the sound was bliss.
[/quote]

Right you are, that bass used to be mine. I've had a fair number of pre CBS P's and 3 other 1966's, that one was equal best for me with a lovely 1964. The others we're pretty average to be honest, though heavy in vintage vibe which was cool.

IMO and experience any P from any era can be amazing and 'the one' if it suits you.

Sounds like I'm going to be trying out some basses in the near future then!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1449510839' post='2924210']
[/quote]

There's a '66 P up on the Bass Gallery website for sale at £4500. Worth it for a good one?

Just bear in mind that Paul Jackson wasn't playing a vintage bass when he recorded Headhunters. It was relatively new at the time. If you believe that a bass will change, tonally, over time then getting one from his era won't get you the sound you're looking for.either.

If I'm honest, I'd say 'no'. If you are buying a bass to play then do just that. Don't concern yourself with it's year of manufacture or anything else. You will undoubtedly find an excellent playing Precision for around £1000 or less.

Paying that sort of money for a vintage bass is a false economy as you'll devalue it by it getting dinged as you use it. I have worn huge ruts in mine over the years and so it would never be worth the price of a mint one and you won't keep a mint one in mint condition by playing it.

I paid about £600 for each of my Japanese Precisions (including the slight mods) and they are superb players basses.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1449499870' post='2924080']

I haven't had any experience of 80's Fenders

[/quote]

Well I have and the USA vintage reissues made at Fullerton, 1982-1985 and then at corona and the Japan jv's are very well regarded.

I am not personally a fan of the standard USA précisions made in the early 80's with bullet truss rods, 3 screw bridges and plain single ply guards.

I think Bassman Steve has it about right. If it's for playing you don't need to spend big money. Best P I've played (and in my estimation the best bass I've ever had in my grubby mitts) was a refinished '64 that belongs to a friend (lets say roughly £3k, £3.5k conservatively). 2nd best was a used/abused '83 Squier SQ I bought locally for £100...

If you're looking for a bass to gig then don't get a vintage anything. Get the one that plays the best and sounds how you want it to sound and you don't mind getting knocked over on a tight stage.

I've seen videos of top US session players talking about their gear and they will aim to take about 6 basses to a session and let the producer choose. They all seem to include a late 50's or early 60's P bass with very old flats. That kind of detail gets noticed on a recording session but won't notice much anywhere else.

Several long time Fender players switched to gigging with Lakland basses, Duck Dunn, George Porter Jr, David Hood etc. That would be my direction of thought.

If you just have to own an old bass just be aware that Leo Fender could put out a turkey and regularly did. There are a lot of myths around Fender basses old and new, so don't believe any "experts" on the internet. There have been good and bad Fenders in all eras. For investment purposes just buy the oldest, cleanest Fender bass you can find, put it under the bed, because it's an investment, and start looking for that Lakland.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1449654522' post='2925523']
If you just have to own an old bass just be aware that Leo Fender could put out a turkey and regularly did. There are a lot of myths around Fender basses old and new, so don't believe any "experts" on the internet. There have been good and bad Fenders in all eras. For investment purposes just buy the oldest, cleanest Fender bass you can find, put it under the bed, because it's an investment, and start looking for that Lakland.
[/quote]

Yep, the question of 'best era' is entirely moot when buying one bass, there were diamonds and dogs in all eras. If I were buying 1000 Fender Precisions from one era (and wouldn't that be nice), I'd be looking at late 60's, but there's no way I could say that any one late 60's PB is going to be better than any one PB from another era.

Without question the best Precision I've ever played - and I've owned over 20 including several pre-CBS and late 60s/early 70s - was made by Yamaha in the late 1970s, and cost me less than £300. A Precision Bass is a pretty crude, albeit iconic instrument, and does not require a lot of skill to make well. The big problem with Fender is that an awful lot of the basses that come off their productions lines in the 70's and 80's just weren't made well. Tp my mind, those that are coming off the lines today are more consistent but hugely over-priced for what they are, you can generally build the equal of an MIA Precision from aftermarket parts for a lot less money.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1449649845' post='2925460']
I think Bassman Steve has it about right. If it's for playing you don't need to spend big money. Best P I've played (and in my estimation the best bass I've ever had in my grubby mitts) was a refinished '64 that belongs to a friend (lets say roughly £3k, £3.5k conservatively). 2nd best was a used/abused '83 Squier SQ I bought locally for £100...
[/quote]

As others have said - if you want one to gig with, buy one that feels & sounds right for you
Changing pickups can also change the sound / tone you get, so this might be worth experimenting with too

Years ago, I had a 70's Maple neck P. I bought it because that's what I wanted at the time
It may have sounded great, however, it was heavy, and the neck was way too chunky and uncomfortable to play
esp if I had been playing it for long periods of time

These days I have a lovely US P from the 2000's and it still has that P sound, but the neck is the far slimmer C shape
and it's also much lighter than that old 70's P. But I tend not to gig that P
I take out a Squier / bitsa, or my Squier Classic Vibe 60's - and that's an awesome bass
There's not a lot in it, sound-wise, and it's light and very playable, far better quality than its' relative price tag would suggest

If you want one as an investment - buy a near mint one and put it in a case under your bed
But there's not much point in that IMO. They're made to be played

Good luck in your search

EDIT: Due to that old 70's P - I was actually put off Fenders for a long time!
But I'm back to loving them again now :)

Edited by Marc S

It's not vintage (but obviously, it will be one day.....)
But this is almost identical to my US P
Which is absolutely lovely :)

If I didn't have one, I'd be after this in a shot!
It's an absolute steal at this price too - you just have to not be bothered by the neck plate being swapped (not current owners doing)

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/274283-2010-fender-american-standard-p-bass-olympic-white-l675/page__fromsearch__1

They all sound the same. Vintage Fenders are no better than modern Fenders. It's a myth and, in fact, according to Basschats very own tests, the Mark Hoppus J/P Signature is the best Precision around.

Invest the money on a good rig. That'll get you on your way to the sound in your head more than a vintage instrument ever will. Play a £2k instrument through a £50 amp and it'll sound just as rubbish as an EBay beginner bass does.

Best of luck!