Why become a member? ×

What a drummer this guy isn't.

bubinga5

It's not in a song situation. He is showcasing his drum skills. I thought he was superb. Ok, if a band was playing that song and he jizzed all over it, fair enough, you would be annoyed , but he's just letting loose to prove he can do it. I like it!

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1446857804' post='2903061']
im not getting bent out of shape bud. I'm saying he's over playing on top of this record.. i don't care if its a promo vid. its sh*t.
[/quote]

Says the guy who posted 'how great is this drummer' thread...

Not sure you get the point of youtube..??

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1446889397' post='2903170']
It's not in a song situation. He is showcasing his drum skills. I thought he was superb. Ok, if a band was playing that song and he jizzed all over it, fair enough, you would be annoyed , but he's just letting loose to prove he can do it. I like it!
[/quote]
That is exactly it. I quite liked it. I'd kick him in the nuts if he did it when you were playing the song as a band. But who's to say he would.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1446900808' post='2903330']
Cant be bothered to read all this thread, but I found it intersting that .What a drummer this guy isnt' has 200 more views than 'What a drummer this guy is' even
though they started within an hour of each other.
[/quote]

Perhaps people are drawn towards things that sound like a bit of a car crash?

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1446900808' post='2903330']
Cant be bothered to read all this thread, but I found it intersting that .What a drummer this guy isnt' has 200 more views than 'What a drummer this guy is' even
though they started within an hour of each other.
[/quote]
Maybe they couldn't bothered to read both threads.

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1446901453' post='2903339']
Perhaps people are drawn towards things that sound like a bit of a car crash?
[/quote]

Maybe so, but it may also just or partly reflect that quite some BassChatters visit the site very often and check for new posts. The "positive" thread has 10 posts at this point, and this one has 40, so this one attracts that type of traffic.

Edited by BassTractor

I thought it was really good. Not that I am a technical musician. I do think it is unfair to label him as a bad drummer on the strength of one video. He seems to know how to play. Thinking about it, people go on about overplaying, but he is not a lot different from Neil Peart

Edited by timmo

He's playing [b]over the top of the original drums[/b]. So for there to be a point, he has to do wibbly stuff, add flavour to it. I bet he'd wouldn't ever say or claim or think that this is how the drum part should actually be played on Thriller, or a cover of Thriller, by anyone.

It's no different to any other musician asked to improvise or play around the groove of an existing song, where the instrument said musician is playing is already in the song. As bassists, what would you do? You'd wibble about all over the tune, probably with some quite busy licks, to justify doing the exercise in the first place. You wouldn't play the bass line, because it's already there. That's not the point of the piece.

And I liked the dry sound of his drums, very much (but that doesn't mean all drums should always sound like that, or always be played like that, or that a different sound wouldn't work).