Why become a member? ×

Bass purchase - Is it fake?

CyberBass

I just purchased a Fender Mike Dirnt Bass from someone from Ireland. The Bass was originally advertised on ebay, but didn't reach the reserve. I negotiated an out of ebay purchase and payed via paypal.
He state that this bass is a Fender Precision Mike Dirnt Bass and that it was a floor model in his shop and that it is in great condition and rarely played. It has a hairline crack in the scratchplate and a small ding at the back of the bass.

Having looked at the bass, I am unsure about what he has sold me. For a start the neck plate on this bass isn't a Mike Dirnt one as the Mike dirnt one has a star on it and this one hasn't. there are far more chips and a scratch than he described, and the scratch plate has more than a hairline split. On the front and reverse of the headstock there the varnish is inconsistent and separating/chipping and the bass is light in weight in comparison to what I was expecting a Fender Mike Dirnt Bass to be, although I haven't weighed it. I haven't had the pick ups checked, but I am suspecting that this bass might be a made up bass What are your thoughts

Edited by CyberBass

I have submitted an escalated paypal dispute, so fingers crossed under buyer protection hopefully I should be ok. If it is a fake it should be confiscated so they don't catch someone else out. But if payal say send it back, then I will. Must admit I am gutted as I was looking forward to getting this.

Edited by CyberBass

As has been said, if you're not happy then return it, but Fender Mike Dirnt are made in Mexico, so that's correct. I wouldn't say that because the neck plate doesn't have the star that it's necessarily a fake, though. And I've never heard anyone complain before that a bass is too light! :)

In the end it's about how it feels, plays and sounds. If you don't like it, you don't like it. But I'm not sure if instantly escalating with PayPal is the way to go... did you contact the seller and discuss your concerns with them first to see what they say?

Edited by discreet

Ive tried contacting the seller. During the enquiry and buying stages he was easily contactable, answered queries quickly etc. Once I had paid, he was slow in despatching, and various excuses, I had to chase through paypal before it got despatched. Now ive tried phoning and emailing about these concerns and can't get hold of him by phone, nor any response via email. I should have gone with gut instinct when he was slow in despatching.
The weight query was because a lot of ex and current Fender Mike Dirnt owners state how heavy they are, yet this is a little heavier than the squier mike dirnt i used to own and feels similar weight to my Yamaha BB414, so to me this bass doesn't seem as heavy considering it is meant to be a big slab of Ash, but like I said I haven't weighed it. the varnish inconsistency on the neck makes me query authenticity along with the wrong neck plate also.

Edited by CyberBass

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1446818921' post='2902626']
As has been said, if you're not happy then return it, but Fender Mike Dirnt are made in Mexico, so that's correct. I wouldn't say that because the neck plate doesn't have the star that it's necessarily a fake, though. And I've never heard anyone complain before that a bass is too light! :)

In the end it's about how it feels, plays and sounds. If you don't like it, you don't like it. But I'm not sure if instantly escalating with PayPal is the way to go... did you contact the seller and discuss your concerns with them first to see what they say?
[/quote]

A lot of guys love those basses. I have 2 Fender PS. But me, when it comes to Fender it has to be MIJ. I can't get use to those MIM necks.

Blue

The Dirnt I had was bloomin heavy, `14lb if I remember. I also had the Squire version at one time and it was a good bit lighter. The tuners look ok, 70`s style but I seem to recall that the neck was quite square at the body end unlike a normal P bass. That is some "hairline" crack!!

The Dirnt, being made of ash, is quite a heavy bass. My old one certainly was. I`m not sure about this one, but the sudden lack of comms rings alarm bells. Re neck plate, someone could have changed it on a genuine one but why would be my question.

Paul Thunderbird kindly checked the bass, lots of inconsistencies, neck not only has been refinished the serial number came away as Paul handled it. The neck was warped and truss rod maxed out. Am hoping I get PayPal refund as seller mysteriously isn't responding to my comms or Paypal comms. I paid for it via PayPal invoice so should be covered under PayPal protection I hope. If not I'll have to sell the genuine parts to recover some money :-(

I would need to see more photos if I was going to make a judgement. Ultimately though if it's not in the condition it was described then send it back. Weight wise, I wouldn't get too hung up on this, as Fenders can vary massively in weight especially when made from Ash. Plus of it's an earlier model then it may not be consistent with what you hear about later models, I.e neck plate, heavy weight etc. Did they even make Mike Dirnt basses back in 2003? In my head it was way later than this! Ah well.

[quote name='CyberBass' timestamp='1446980637' post='2903842']
Something I also overlooked was on his advert he described it as new condition.
Surprisingly or not so supringly the seller hasn't responded to either my requests nor that of PayPal, 3 days so far.
[/quote]

It clearly isn't new, whether genuine or not and as the seller's gone quiet you've done the right thing. The bass is obviously not as described so I don't think you'll have much trouble getting a refund from PayPal.

If he's not replying then you'll just get your money back. I had a similar issue with something on eBay.

This just backs up my personal decision that I won't buy an instrument if I can't collect it in person, unless it's from somewhere reputable like bass direct.