Why become a member? ×

I would really like them if it wasn't for that twatt!

ubit

I was driving back from work and had the iPod on full blast on random, when a U2 song came on. I thought to myself , I'm not a fan even though I have a few of their albums in my collection, but they do have some pretty good songs. It's just Bonio that puts me off them. Maybe it's subconsciously, because his attitude annoys me, but I just can't love them because of him. I find Simple Minds to be similar because of Jim Kerr.

Are there any really good bands out there that you dislike purely because of one larger than life member?

I have always said that I wouldn't let that kind of thing discourage me from good music. However... There are two bands...

One is W.A.S.P., after Blackie Lawless got Born Again and decided the renounce a lot of their earlier, better stuff and declared that he would never play them live again, I swore I'd never go to see him live again.

The other is Megadeth. Again, Dave Mustaine got Born Again and started doing interviews spouting proper nasty, vile bigoted stuff. So I vowed to never buy any of his stuff again.

I still listen to and enjoy the stuff by them that I already owned, I just won't be giving them any more of my money. It's not that they got Born Again, I listen to bands with christians in them and even bands that declare themselves christian bands. It just seemed to be a trigger in those two cases.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1446721747' post='2901690']
U2? Me too. Also Elvis Costello cropped up in the household as he is touring soon - I like a good few of his tunes but find him such an arrogant little gobsh*te I can't bear to watch him.
[/quote]

Long time EC fan and still love a lot of his work but wild horses wouldn't drag me to see him now - final nail was an advert for one of those awful National Trust or Hampton Court style gigs sponsored by Waitrose. Just not the same as headlining a bill at the Hammersmith Palais with The Men They Couldn't Hang and The Pogues supporting!

i dislike Bonio intensely but 30+ years of being a frontman (see also Jim Kerr etc) to millions of people hanging on your every word probably turn you out like that. I doubt he started that way.

I can't deny his lyrical ability and vocal range.

[quote name='Shedua511' timestamp='1446723491' post='2901718']
You got to separate the man and the artist. A an example, James Brown was a misogynist a-hole, Miles Davis was a pimp in the true sense of the word at one point, I proably wouldn't want to meet either of them, but I love the music!!!
[/quote]There are lots of objectional people in music, as in any walk of life, but I think it is the preachy type of people that most probably dislike. John Bonham seemed like a nasty bloke, but I like the music.

Didn't realise how much of an a@@hile Bono was, till I saw U2 at twickenham.
I hated mustaine for years( inspte of having the peace sells album).
He played a great gig with megadeath at the Astoria about 10 years ago.
A year or so later , the session lineup were pony .
I could listen to good oasis stuff.
Deep purple ? Now everyone knows Blackmore is a twat .
Janes addiction..too camp for words . A. couple of good. songs.
Smashing pumpkins...just sh@te

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1446722596' post='2901703']
other way on for me, if I really really like somebody's music I can forgive them almost anything
[/quote]
[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1446723533' post='2901719']
lost prophets anyone?
[/quote]fortunately I don't like the Lost Prophets anyway, I really don't think I could forgive that, still like listening to the occasional Gary Glitter song though

All 4 of U2 are insufferable. I'm fortunate though, I don't like their music either :D

I really like the Winery Dogs but Mike Portnoy...hmmmm, sometimes it would be best if people with a public platform didn't express every thought they had, especially on social media.

• Like 1

Guest bassman7755

The Jam, musically very decent (especially from a bass playing pov) but marred by virtue of Paul Weller being a complete twonk.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1446723533' post='2901719']
lost prophets anyone?
[/quote]

I've been unfortunate enough to accidentally see this shower twice, way before the guy made the Celebrity Paedo top ten.

First time they were bottom of the bill at a little club gig, second time on the main stage at Ozzfest 2002. They were just as bloody awful both times, mostly due to his being wretchedly out-of-tune. Really made me question how some bands become - and remain - successful.

Jon.