Why become a member? ×

I would really like them if it wasn't for that twatt!

ubit

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1446879860' post='2903084']
Y'know, I thought I remembered that too, so just watched it back... Stipe did smile, and Jools really was a massive dick. Kicking off with basically accusing Stipe of going back on his word on live CDs, then asking if cameras put him off his performing stride (jeez mate, it's the bloke out of REM you're talking to), fishing for compliments for Later, getting weird about backstage behaviour, then that put-down about the two or three songs. What a snide.

Stipe's obviously intense, but Holland's the worst interviewer on the planet.

In which case I shall return to the original topic by nominating... Jools Holland.
[/quote]This. Holland must have several awards in the male appendage dept. And by the way Jools, your show's getting ropier by the minute.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1446726574' post='2901762']
I really like the Stereophonics music, but Kelly Jones is an absolute 1st class a**hole IMHO.
Slash. Need I say more?
On the subject of U2, The Edge is almost as bad.
[/quote]
Slash?
I'm not sure of his past, but now he's one of the nicest people in the industry.

A few colleagues of mine have toured with him multiple times and have said he makes a good effort to go out of his way to be approachable to fans & his crew etc when he certainly doesn't need to.

A quote from his LD was "if it wasn't for Dave Grohl he'd be the nicest person in rock 'n roll", which was nice for me to hear - on that note I asked what his & Slash's opinion of Axl was, the answer definitely wasn't quite so positive.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1446822625' post='2902676']
As for music I love but have to separate from the twats that made it, top of the list would be Cream. Everyone probably knows how unpleasant Ginger Baker can be, but I was genuinely disappointed to find out that Jack Bruce deserved some of Ginger's ire for being quite horrible himself a lot of the time.
[/quote]

Interesting commemt.
Over the years I too had seen, first hand, Jack Bruce's twatishness in spades. I had also seen the absolutely charming and gentlemanly behaviour from the same man.
I put it down to "artistic temperament" (what ever that may be) but he certainly wound up a lot of other people, too.

Edited by Jazzneck

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1446883599' post='2903104']
Over the years I too had seen, first hand, Jack Bruce's twatishness in spades. I had also seen the absolutely charming and gentlemanly behaviour from the same man.
[/quote]

Bass players get a free pass on this thread ... apart from Sting obviously.

When I was working at A Very Big Record Shop in Brum, Simple Minds did an in store for us, plugging their live double album. This was at the height of their pomp and every time I saw Jim Kerr on TV, my opinion of him dropped to an almost subterranean level. The band arrived and were whisked to the managers office for champagne and nibbles...Mr Kerr however, joined us in the staff room and had a cup of tea. No star trip, no ego. A lovely affable chap. I may never be a huge fan (although their first two or three records are ace), but my preconceptions were totally depth charged by 10 minutes in the man's company.

The one that always springs to mind for me is Limp Bizkit. I think Wes Borland is a massively creative guitarist, some of the melodies, textures and tones he comes out with are just brilliant. Rhythm section are clearly both VERY capable players with lots of chops between them. That red-hatted buffoon of a frontman makes them completely unbearable for me though. Couldn't ever bring myself to own an album or see a show, I stick to respecting the musicians from a safe distance!

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1447150082' post='2905207']
When I was working at A Very Big Record Shop in Brum, Simple Minds did an in store for us, plugging their live double album. This was at the height of their pomp and every time I saw Jim Kerr on TV, my opinion of him dropped to an almost subterranean level. The band arrived and were whisked to the managers office for champagne and nibbles...Mr Kerr however, joined us in the staff room and had a cup of tea. No star trip, no ego. A lovely affable chap. I may never be a huge fan (although their first two or three records are ace), but my preconceptions were totally depth charged by 10 minutes in the man's company.
[/quote]I think a lot of 'stars' just get totally pissed of with doing the round of interviews to plug a new record or whatever answering the same questions over and over is it any wonder they start to look bored and therefore up their own arses?

I tend to avoid all celebrity culture. To the point where people are saying names to me and I'm just thinking 'never heard of them' to myself while looking at them blankly hoping they'll talk about something interesting.

Unless they're in the national papers I have no idea who is in what band, football team, soap or all three.

If Bono etc are sounding off, it all becomes just a lot of white noise.

The Celebrity Jungle thing starts this week, I'll have to put up with the office talking about people I've never heard of doing things on a TV program I didn't watch.

There are only a very few celebrities I would recognise in the street. My brain is full of more important stuff. Probably.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1447158169' post='2905317']
This is regularly said about one of my bands, but I can't understand it as the other guys all seem OK to me.... :mellow:
[/quote]

Laughed out loud at that!

I wouldn't like any of their bands no matter what tbqfhwy.

Phil Collins.
Sting.
That prick that sings in The Libertines.
Mark E. Smith.
Morrissey.
All of Sham 69.
The walloper who sings in Primal Scream.
Gary Kemp.
Gary f***ing Barlow.
Billy Bragg.

And there's a special place in hell for Pete Wishart.

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1446755061' post='2902164']
He didn't bother me too much until he performed on TFI Friday (I think!) wearing a Celtic scarf. Football is Glasgow is such a divisive thing - people have quite literally been killed for wearing the wrong colours. Rod Stewart is similar, kick drum skin is a massive Celtic badge and his gigs in Glasgow are a sea of green and white. I don't mind some his stuff, but you'd never catch me dead at a gig!

No objections to anyone supporting a football team, but keep it out of your stage show - especially when a large chunk of said team's fans are idiots. (Before I get a virtual knife in my back, both sides of Glasgow are as bad!)
[/quote]

This is so true, not long before I left Scotland a guy was thrown off the 12th floor of a tower block - for wearing a Rangers shirt in a Celtic area.

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1446879860' post='2903084']

Y'know, I thought I remembered that too, so just watched it back... Stipe did smile, and Jools really was a massive dick.
[/quote]

Sorry, I must have blinked when he smiled. Plus if you think being asked on to Later and saying yes we can do a special isn't being dickish, then I don't know what is!

[quote name='Mark_88MPH' timestamp='1447185315' post='2905685']
For me it's Foo Fighters - Nate Mendel.

They have a handful of great songs but I always get the image of, Nate rocking awkwardly with his wrist glued to his bass, come to mind when I listen to them or when I watch on YouTube it puts me off watching
[/quote]

Big fan of Nate, meself. I think that awkward style is kind of endearing - and the guy certainly knows how to play. He's understated while Dave and Taylor go crazy; it works for me :)

Edited by HMX

Watching The Nations Favourite Beatles No.1, I realised that the only Beatles numbers I can stand are from 66/67.

Trouble is Macca winds me up. I cant stand the expressions on his face.

No denying he's a great Bass player, wrote a some great Bass lines which are probably a big part of what made half of us want to play Bass and the numbers wouldnt be as good without. I just wish I hadnt grown up watching him on TV with all those silly Beatles one liners and that smug innocent wide eyed expression on his mush.