Why become a member? ×

I would really like them if it wasn't for that twatt!

ubit

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1446749183' post='2902076']
I am certain someone said this before me but "don't meet your heroes" you will be disappointed on most occasions, I asked a cousin of mine who was the most disappointing person she ever interviewed, she said Billy Joe from Greenday, she had always been a huge fan but he sat through the interview and behaved like a sullen 4 year old throughout!
[/quote]

I think I've been really lucky over the years. I've met and/or interviewed quite a few of my musical heroes/artists I've enjoyed or admired over the years and all have been really nice and decent. For the benefit of others I'm happy to do whatever the opposite of naming and shaming... Phil Lynott, Gordon Giltrap, The Indigo Girls, Moyà Brennan from Clannad, Herbie Flowers, Nanci Griffith, Abigail Washburn and the other girls from Uncle Earl, John G Perry (of Caravan and Quantum Jump), Ian Bairnson (Pilot, Kate Bush, Alan Parsons), Steve Lawson, Shelly Poole (Alisha's Attic) and her hubby Ally Mcerlaine (Texas)... All top people when I met them... Counting myself blessed, I guess!

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1446810614' post='2902503']
What about kiss? They have 2 twats( Simmons and Stanley )
[/quote]

Did anyone ever watch rock school? Where Gene Simmons was tasked with making a rock band out of school kids. He was talking to one of the teachers in the staff room and told the guy, " I could take your wife away from you with just the snap of my fingers" the guy just stood open mouthed, but I think I would have unleashed hell on his ass. Not everyone is as shallow as you Gene!

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1446810614' post='2902503']
What about kiss? They have 2 twats( Simmons and Stanley )
[/quote]

Do you not think Pete Criss is a bit of a one too? I always thought he had the best voice out the lot of them. Ace seems like a nice guy. But it has to be said, you'd have to go a long way to find two monumentally bigger bell-ends than S&S.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1446815379' post='2902576']
Do you not think Pete Criss is a bit of a one too? I always thought he had the best voice out the lot of them. Ace seems like a nice guy. But it has to be said, you'd have to go a long way to find two monumentally bigger bell-ends than S&S.
[/quote]

Simmons is a detestable bellend. To be fair, PS never really did any bellend-ish stuff unless you think his whole schtick is unbearable. PC & AF got beset by severe alcohol & substance abuse & chaos ensued (I bet their families & loved ones pegged them as twats at various points) but again, no real public nonsense. Simmons is responsible for 99% of the bad image the band gets tarred with.

Someone has to stick up for KISS, & that someone is me!

Met that little Huey fella off the Fun Lovin Criminals once. Despite my protestations, I was dragged towards him by the manager of a bar in Cardiff who proceeded to gush about my then band and force an album in to his hand. He could not have been more disinterested/rude if he'd tried & the whole thing was really awkward. Couldn't really judge if he was an all-day-long twat based on that situation, but saw him a fair bit on the telly after that & came to the conclusion that yeah, he's an arrogant cock.

Can't stand Cradle of Filth, even though a friend was their drummer for ages (Adrian from At The Gates, The Haunted and now in Paradise Lost). Danni Filth is an utter bellend, having seen him acting like an arse at an after show party for an awards thing. That said, I did once rest my drink on his head to detract from his "do you know who I am" chatting up technique when he turned up at the Slimelight once - I'm 6'4" and he's so short that he makes an ideal place to prop up a pint glass.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1446822180' post='2902669']
Can't stand Cradle of Filth, even though a friend was their drummer for ages (Adrian from At The Gates, The Haunted and now in Paradise Lost). Danni Filth is an utter bellend, having seen him acting like an arse at an after show party for an awards thing. That said, I did once rest my drink on his head to detract from his "do you know who I am" chatting up technique when he turned up at the Slimelight once - I'm 6'4" and he's so short that he makes an ideal place to prop up a pint glass.
[/quote]

You're mates with Adrian? At The Gates we're my world when I was a teenager...

As for music I love but have to separate from the twats that made it, top of the list would be Cream. Everyone probably knows how unpleasant Ginger Baker can be, but I was genuinely disappointed to find out that Jack Bruce deserved some of Ginger's ire for being quite horrible himself a lot of the time.

"You're mates with Adrian? At The Gates we're my world when I was a teenager..."

I met him through friends of his wife. They are both lovely people, and Adrian is hands down the best drummer I've ever heard. Even when he's playing straightforward stuff, such as in his wife's band Nemhain, there's still something special about the dynamics and timing.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1446822993' post='2902684']
They're playing in Leeds tomorrow at Damnation
[/quote]

Yeah I noticed they had a new album out when I looked them up a few months back for the first time in years and years...

I still remember when Slaughter of The Soul came out when I was 14... I stopped buying metal albums for about 4 years after that as I couldnt see the point in listening to anything else!

[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1446816484' post='2902596']
Simmons is a detestable bellend. To be fair, PS never really did any bellend-ish stuff unless you think his whole schtick is unbearable. PC & AF got beset by severe alcohol & substance abuse & chaos ensued (I bet their families & loved ones pegged them as twats at various points) but again, no real public nonsense. Simmons is responsible for 99% of the bad image the band gets tarred with.

Someone has to stick up for KISS, & that someone is me!
[/quote]

I'm not down on Kiss as such and Black Diamond is a favorite of mine, but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I take back what I said about Chris and Stan and denounce Chaim Witz as Lord Bell of Endia

I've resisted posting on this thread, but I reckon it's time for some perspective. I don't really think it's fair to have a go at someone you've never met - granted the image that some people create is less than favourable, but editing has a LOT to do with how people are perceived than you'd think.

I now first hand how some unscrupulous journalists can 'paraphrase' you to the extent that within a few short paragraphs you end up having said the opposite to what you meant.

Mainstream media love its soundbites too, and you can give an interview comprised of 95% positivity and rainbows and sh*t, but guess which 5% ends up being taken out of context and circulated….

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1446831177' post='2902787']
I've resisted posting on this thread, but I reckon it's time for some perspective. I don't really think it's fair to have a go at someone you've never met - granted the image that some people create is less than favourable, but editing has a LOT to do with how people are perceived than you'd think.

I now first hand how some unscrupulous journalists can 'paraphrase' you to the extent that within a few short paragraphs you end up having said the opposite to what you meant.

Mainstream media love its soundbites too, and you can give an interview comprised of 95% positivity and rainbows and sh*t, but guess which 5% ends up being taken out of context and circulated….
[/quote]

Fair point mate. I don't know these people but I'm allowed an opinion and let's face it, most of us form such, based on what we see or hear. Very rarely can we meet our heroes and say, oh he's not a bad **** after all. Until I meet Bonio, Jim Kerr, gene Simmons etc. I'm sticking with my version of events.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1446798483' post='2902367']

Rod Stewart really is an idiot. Apparently he came on stage once in a Celtic shirt and there was nearly a riot. He claimed he didn't realise it would cause a stir ! What a dick. If he's that big a supporter , he would know what would happen. It would be the same in any city. You can't nail your colours to the mast in public without upsetting someone!
[/quote]

Dave from megadeth caused a riot in northern Ireland once over something similar.

My opinion of Kiss and Bono stands, as I paid to see trash instead of having enjoyable memories of big name artists . Also AXL- when I saw guns and roses halfway down the bill at donington , they were good . Can't stand his voice , anymore . However , if he ( or anybody else for that matter) decides to appear over an hour late to perform with their huge egos they should be shot to sh@t ! If it wasn't for the fans ..

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=4]The paradox being you've got to someway have a personality disorder to get up in front of everyone and do your thing. At least as bassists we can in someway hide behind the bass or the music. As a singer all you can do is hide behind yourself, so you make a bigger one to cover better.[/size][/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=4]However the nicest most famous person I met was Robert Plant[/size][/font]

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1446831177' post='2902787']

[/quote]

Granted, but not everything's in print - there's televised interviews too. Camera never lies etc.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1446724882' post='2901733']
Smashing pumpkins...just sh@te
[/quote]

This one surprised me. Musically I love the Pumpkins - very diverse and interesting even if some of it can be a little hit and miss. But I assume your point was directed toward Billy Corgan. I've always found him to be a very down-to-earth decent fellow. I actually sat in on an interview him briefly around the time of Adore, when I was working for London based publication. He was by a long shot one of the least pretentious and most easy going chaps that we covered.

Now Marylin Manson (aka. Brian Warner) was another story...

Edited by Naetharu

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1446731344' post='2901828']
Stipe really is a prick. I seen him getting interviewed by Jools Holland on later. He never cracked a smile the whole interview, then Jools said , maybe you will come back and play for us sometime. Stipe said, yeah we could probably come and do a special or something sometime. Jools, quick as a flash replied, or two or three songs. I thought good on ya Jools!
[/quote]

Y'know, I thought I remembered that too, so just watched it back... Stipe did smile, and Jools really was a massive dick. Kicking off with basically accusing Stipe of going back on his word on live CDs, then asking if cameras put him off his performing stride (jeez mate, it's the bloke out of REM you're talking to), fishing for compliments for Later, getting weird about backstage behaviour, then that put-down about the two or three songs. What a snide.

Stipe's obviously intense, but Holland's the worst interviewer on the planet.

In which case I shall return to the original topic by nominating... Jools Holland.

Edited by KK Jale