Why become a member? ×

Who are you seeing live next?

Japhet

Just got tickets for Sheryl Crow next June. One of the few of my favourite people I’ve never

seen , so really looking forward to it. Her band are just amazing, especially both guitarists - saw

them on TV playing at Glastonbury and was blown away. Should be a great gig. 😊

• Like 2

Last night I saw the Claire Martin Trio at the Pizza Express in Dean St, Soho.  The (upright) bassist was a bloke called Jeremy Brown.  He was outstanding, playing walking bass lines all evening without looking at the fretboard and often not looking at his music either.  Googling this morning, it appears he plays for the BBC Big Band and various other groups and is a professor of Jazz Bass at the Royal Academy of music.  

Every now and again I get a bit complacent and start to think I know what I'm doing.  Then I see an expert play and I get brought down to earth. 

• Like 1

On 08/12/2023 at 20:38, mr4stringz said:

If you’re there in time give the bassist of the support (Dawn After Dark) a wave for me, he’s a mate of mine. Suitably festive too as he’s got a grumpy Santa vibe about him.

This chap 😁

Nice bloke, we had a chat, and he was up for me posting his pic on Basschat.

IMG_20231210_194244.thumb.jpg.7b3fccbfd94844fc41f68d2a393bf50e.jpg

• Like 1

On 07/12/2023 at 22:31, casapete said:

Just got tickets for Sheryl Crow next June. One of the few of my favourite people I’ve never

seen , so really looking forward to it. Her band are just amazing, especially both guitarists - saw

them on TV playing at Glastonbury and was blown away. Should be a great gig. 😊

I saw that gig on tv too, very good.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Peloquin said:

The Wife and myself are heading to Stafford tonight to watch the amusingly named Spunk Volcano and the Eruptions.

S.V. is the singer in the equally amusingly named Dirtbox Disco.

Have a good un, they’re an awesome band (and great chaps too).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've just booked tickets to see Judie Tzuke later in the year. I used to be a huge fan of her early stuff.

I've just flicked through her latest album on Spotify, and it's a bit sh*t to be honest, so hopefully she'll focus her early material.

This is why I feel that a good tribute act is better than the original, as they play the more popular songs.

Been disappointed that Phil Campbell and the Bastard Sons only had one Welsh gig this year and that was part of Planet Rockstock.

Then yesterday they dropped gigs at small venues in three corners of Wales.

Managed to get hotel room for the weekeend and tickets  in Narberth, a small town in Pembrokeshire. Will be awesome,  a band who can get Wacken stomping but are incredible in smaller venues (about 450).

On 08/12/2023 at 20:38, mr4stringz said:

If you’re there in time give the bassist of the support (Dawn After Dark) a wave for me, he’s a mate of mine. Suitably festive too as he’s got a grumpy Santa vibe about him.

Could that be the same Dawn After Dark who used to support Balaam And The Angel?

I caught them in the aptly named After Dark Club in Reading many years ago....great gig.

I'm sure I have some pics somewhere.

Edited by vbance
  • Like 1

Combined 'who did you see live last' and 'who are you seeing live next'.  Go West, one of this household's fave bands, are touring with Wet Wet Wet at the moment.  That is the bass player and guitar player from Wet Wet Wet plus a new singer.  I saw the Wets years ago and, to my undying surprise, thought they were stunningly good.

We see Go West whenever they are within striking distance and have done for years.  Peter Cox is probably my favourite male singer of those I have seem live, he has a certain quality about his voice that gets better as he ages (unbelievably he's 68 now!)  And the current band are as good as any he and Drummie have had except maybe for the brief period they had Alan Murphy on guitar.

So, last night it was the Regent Theatre in Ipswich.  I like going there - sound is usually fab and the seats are relatively comfy  The nearby car park is cheap, if you get there early there are loads of spaces, fabulous tiny Indian restaurant right next door.  Loads of charity shops in town to pass the time.  Last night the sound was actually a little off but Go West turned in a great performance, they were on second and finished the night. 

On first were the Wets.  All I can say is that without Marti Pellow they are a husk of a band, his voice (lost it now, sadly) and stage presence clearly carried them.  New bloke can sing but everything else was a whole pile of wrong. 

Rinse and repat later in the week.  Kind of hoping the Wets are on second so we can leave early.

Great moments in advertising. “ Rinse and repeat” they doubled sales after adding those three lines to the package.

My other favourite was “diet” TV dinners. They put a banner on the package saying “Diet” and “Now 1/3 the calories”.

They simply cut the portion by 1/3 and charged the same price.

57 minutes ago, vbance said:

Could that be the same Dawn After Dark who used to support Balaam And The Angel?

I caught them in the aptly named After Dark Club in Reading many years ago....great gig.

I'm sure I have some pics somewhere.

I believe so, though my mate (the current bassist) wasn’t in the band back then. 

• Like 1