Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Just saw The Skids and From The Jam at Perth concert hall. A bit underwhelmed really. Sound was OKish, but I think I could’ve mixed it better (drums too loud, vocals too low). From a bass perspective, the bass player in The Skids played a ‘Ray, which was muddy and incoherent, whilst Bruce Foxton’s P snarled and was maybe even too loud in the mix, but it was definitely more articulate. Bruce looked rather old and tired as did Richard Jobson. Oh yeah, they played Town Called Malice wrong.

Edited by ezbass
  • Sad 1

Went to the Slam Dunk Festival in Birmingham last night...4 bands on. 

First on were Millie Manders and the Shutup. They were great. 

By far the best "First Band of the night" that I've seen.  I'd love to see them headlining. 

The bassist girl put her foot down on something, went over, obviously in a LOT of pain and didn't miss a note.  She spent the rest of the show barely able to walk/ move but sick with it.  Top makrks to her.

Spunge were next... not my sort honestly but the crowd enjoyed them. 

Teenage Bottlerocket next up... as awesome as ever... this band put more into it than any other I've seen. 

Headliners were Zebrahead... again,  catch but not really for me. 

The 2 bands made the trip more than worth it. 

Played at The Black Market at Warsop last night with The Verity Bromham Band. Multi band gig with two stages, decent organisation and sound. We had a great night - what stood out for me was the supplied Megoliath 8x10 bass cab. By far the best cab I’ve ever played through! Using my Bugera MOSFET it had huge volume and depth but unlike an SVT there was real clarity. Absolutely stunning bit of kit!IMG_6102.thumb.jpeg.22eea3915eeb2793fc2f8de0b432888e.jpeg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ezbass said:

Just saw The Skids and From The Jam at Perth concert hall. A bit underwhelmed really. Sound was OKish, but I think I could’ve mixed it better (drums too loud, vocals too low). From a bass perspective, the bass player in The Skids played a ‘Ray, which was muddy and incoherent, whilst Bruce Foxton’s P snarled and was maybe even too loud in the mix, but it was definitely more articulate. Bruce looked rather old and tired as did Richard Jobson. Oh yeah, they played Town Called Malice wrong.

I saw From The Jam last Friday in Northampton. The Skids were billed but didn’t play, was The Purple Hearts. I also thought Bruce Foxton was looking a bit old & frail, though nothing frail about his playing & singing. A lot of the songs on All Mod Cons I’d never heard live and thought they all worked really well. 

Remi Harris and Man of the World - a tribute to Peter Green.

Last night at The Musician in Leicester. Remi is a guitar phenomenon and a major figure in the gypsy jazz world, which is probably why many have never heard of him. He's touring at the moment so I urge you to go and see him. If you're a Peter Green fan like me, you will be amazed at the level of his playing and how well he nails the Peter Green sound and feel. The band are all excellent and tighter than a gnat's chuff.

IMG_20240202_220750.jpg

Noah Guthrie supported by Roofman at the Louisiana in Bristol, last Tuesday 30th Jan. I found Noah via guitarist Rhett Shull, whose YouTube channel I’m subscribed to. He has an incredible voice and the guitar chops to accompany himself more than competently.

Roofman is a Dutch guy who sort of reminds me of E from the Eels, except - completely different!

• 2 weeks later...

Not music but a comedy gig - Russell Kane doing a small warm up gig at Barton Ropewalk last night.

I’ve seen many excellent comedians over the years, but this was just a masterclass in

how to keep an audience laughing constantly for 70 mins. A brilliant performer, I really can’t 

recommend him enough if you get the chance to catch him on his Hyperactive tour in late

2024/ early 2025. 

Dirty Honey at the Academy 2 (the best of the 4) in Manchester...quality band, tho I've seen them three times in the last 18 months, so I'll wait a little before seeing them again.

Of note, though, was the rarity of a well-engineered bottom end to the sound: in fact, I went to the desk at the end to congratulate the SE on NOT making the kick sound like a cannon and the bass like rumbly mush...

• 2 weeks later...

Finelines at Telfords this evening with our @jimmyb625 , tight as a tight thing and a great selection of material .wouldn’t know what genre to pin it in as they played ballads and some superb rockin tunes.

I’m not sure if the gigs don’t pay well (being a 7 piece to share the £250) or radio doesn’t pay that well as the drummer has to work in the morning 😉

enjoyed the evening , but had to rush as Mrs Lurks was passing by in her new car , result .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lurksalot said:

Finelines at Telfords this evening with our @jimmyb625 , tight as a tight thing and a great selection of material .wouldn’t know what genre to pin it in as they played ballads and some superb rockin tunes.

I’m not sure if the gigs don’t pay well (being a 7 piece to share the £250) or radio doesn’t pay that well as the drummer has to work in the morning 😉

enjoyed the evening , but had to rush as Mrs Lurks was passing by in her new car , result .

Lovely to meet you and thanks so much for the kind words.

I win this week! Mike Stern at Birdland, NYC. Great gig with his wife Leni, Bob Franceschini who I'd not hear of, but was awesome on sax... but then we had the rhythm section... only Dennis Chambers on drums and Victor on bass! Great gig - Mike on top form and eviscerated by Vic and Dennis.

Mike Stern gig.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Theo Katzmann in Bristol. One of the best gigs I've ever been to.

D I Joe on bass, musicianship from everyone was entirely off the charts, and he's such a great songwriter.

Truly wonderful 

Dead Boys a few days ago.

Having seen videos of shows at the start of their tour my expectations were quite low, but being on tour for some time has done them a world of good - I thought they were excellent.

A few new songs that were fillers/time to buy another beer/chat with people I hadn't seen for a long time.

Loved hearing the best songs from Young, Loud and Snotty live. Never thought I'd get the opportunity.

One of the best nights out for years for me.

Looks like their last gig is in Leeds in a couple of days. If you're thinking of maybe going, I'd recommend you go. 

5 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

They're playing at Rebellion 3rd August...

Ah, I missed that (and probably more), thanks, just saw they were apparently going back to the states again soon.

Seeing them at Rebellion would be cool. 

Kaiser Chiefs last night.

Mini gig album promotion thing. There was another gig after, 2nd house type thing.

They played about 10 songs, some new and some classics. Not bad for a bunch of blokes.

Went to the first date of Cara Dillon's tour at Kings Place in London. image.png.2d49b80beba42e3c8e8ea04243030c8c.png Sam Lakeman gave a big 'Thanks' to Edwin Ireland on Bass, who had first met the rest of the band only that afternoon and 'hasn't missed a note'.

The Bonnevilles (Sunday night) with Mudlow in Support. Tiny venue, fantastic sound. I should be morally opposed to the Bonnevilles, given they're a guitar/vocal and drummer two-piece, but I was struggling to think where a bass would really add to the sound, and in the end I gave up. Plus, of course, it ups their take-home by 50%...