Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

36 minutes ago, Peloquin said:

I went to see John Lydon last night.  He's on his spoken word "I could be wrong..." tour 

Absolutely terrible. 

Some were laughing, some were cheering,  a lot were walking out.  It came to the half way point and I called it.  Left the venue and went a pub instead. 

I'm sorry to hear it was bad.

I know he's deviated quite a bit from what he represented in his younger days, but always hoped he might still have an edge....

I just looked at the tour dates. Wow he's really packing the shows in over May and June.

I wonder if people will walk out from every show?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

I'm sorry to hear it was bad.

I know he's deviated quite a bit from what he represented in his younger days, but always hoped he might still have an edge....

I just looked at the tour dates. Wow he's really packing the shows in over May and June.

I wonder if people will walk out from every show?

I'm fairly confident that if no-one walked out he would be disappointed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last was Judas Priest in Birmingham. They were great. First support was Uriah Heep, but we missed most of their set due to traffic. What we did hear sounded good. Then there was Saxon, who thought they were better than they actually were, imho.

• Like 1

The Hoochie Koochie Band in a small pub, the Eagle, in Narberth. Very good, deserved a bigger audience.  Bass player was exceptional.

Night before, Phil Campbell and the Bastard Sons in Narberth Queen's Hall. As brilliant as ever, lively packed out croud in wee 400 soul venue, they just done three very special home gigs in North, West and South Wales to complement their European tour. Hugely appreciated by fans who got a long and varied show. Loud* but excellent sound. Followed by mellow sesh in pub meeting locals, then took very basic pics of fading northern lights. Impressed I could use pro mode of my phone camera in a state of somem inebriation.

*but not stupid loud. My phone app tells me I've seen significantly louder pub bands.

Last night was Mondo Generator at Cobblestones in Bridgestone. 

The band are fronted by ex Kyuss & QOTSA bassist Nick Oliveri and have been around since before QOTSA.

The two support bands, Nomad Lizard and Kadabra were awesome. Kadabra's bassist is my new hero, serious amounts of groove and awesome moves.

Mondo Generator were just awesome, mostly their own stuff but with a few of Nicks songs from QOTSA and Kyuss. 

It was really cool to see someone I've seen play stadiums and arenas play in a small pub and hanging out with the punters.

• Like 3

Bryan Adams at the Coventry Building Society Arena on Friday night. 

The man’s a legend. He’s 64, voice still sounds every bit as good as he did in the 80s with so many brilliant songs to choose from and a tight band to perform them.

Really good party vibe in the heavier songs, dropping down to just piano and acoustic guitar for gentler, quiet moments.

Ive liked his stuff for years and really pleased that he comes across as a proper good egg in real life.

Excellent work that man 👏

IMG_4047.jpeg

IMG_4051.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Jools Holland and his RnB Orchestra last night at Scunthorpe Baths Hall.

Although they are soon playing a venue nearer us, we decided to go to Scunthorpe as it

is a better sounding room - I’ve played there a number of times. Also last night they had

Imelda May as one of the singers along with Ruby Turner.

Strange ‘support’ act from Christopher Holland, younger brother of Jools and Hammond player

in his band. He played and sang a number of songs at the front of the stage, all rather

underwhelming. He seemed shy / almost embarrassed and it was somehow the wrong

start to the show. Then after an interval Jools walked on and started playing, with

the rest of the band joining in gradually. Full 10 piece brass section ( 5 saxes, 2 trombones

and 3 trumpets) sounded fantastic. Dave Swift his usual brilliant self on upright bass all

night too. Gilson’s drums sounded a bit muffled, with the snare having very little top end

to it, but maybe that’s how he wants it. 
The singers were outstanding, especially local girl Sumudu Jayatilaka who was 

unbelievably good, along with Louise Marshall, Imelda May and legend Ruby Turner. 
The band played for nearly two hours, finishing with ‘Enjoy yourself’. Great to hear

such a brilliant big band in full flow, a very enjoyable and entertaining evening. 

(Apologies for the naff photo)

IMG_3788.jpeg

Edited by casapete

Tom Bailey from The Thompson Twins at O2 Indigo. Nick Beggs was on bass. He joined mid tour and it was only his second gig with the band. Which probably explains why he hasn't quite nailed Matthew Seligman's bass line to In the Name of Love.

Ian Prowse at Alexander’s in chester , jeez what a show, performer , poet, songsmith.

with a fiddle and a flautist/penny whistler to accompany, the guy just tells stories from the heart.

Mersey centric but honest and open to the core, love the guy ❤️❤️

Manchester Jazz Festival summary…

Starting with the last one we saw: Courtney Pine. Closing gig of the festival so the brief was to deliver a good time, which he did. We mainly went because we'd not seen him live before (at least I don't remember doing - maybe I have at some outdoor festival in London back in the day) and it was good fun, but not exactly as subtle as the others I'm reporting on. Samuel Dubois on steel pans stole the show really, although the guitarists were both excellent too.

Nikki Iles Jazz Orchestra: worth seeing just for the rarity of a live 19-piece contemporary big band, Iles's compositions are lush and all members of the band are fine players in their own right including one of my bass gurus Steve Watts on DB duties. Can't see if they have any other live dates lined up but worth looking out for.

And Tim Garland's Lighthouse Trio: these guys were simply stunning (in spite of having no bass player in the band). Garland is superb but Gwilym Simcock on piano and Asaf Sirkis (also a member of current Soft Machine lineup!) on drums are both monsters. Some of their material referenced themes of migration and hope with accompanying artwork projected on a screen and this was really thought-provoking, taking (I thought) a courageous step outside the standard jazz format. Sample here and tour dates also on that website - including London this Thursday, and some upcoming dates with Yazz Ahmed who I know is an equally top-drawer talent - and if this is remotely the sort of thing you're into, I strongly encourage you to go along to one.

We caught some of the free gigs at Home on the opening weekend too - a short-notice quartet led by Tom Thorp with Luke Flowers on drums were excellent, and a really intriguing Iranian trio with cello/vocals + guitar + santoor - and there was lots more I would have gone to had I been able to get there. It really is a great festival.

The last gig I went to where I wasn't also playing was Auger/Westenra/Dhampyres at The Met in Whitby as part of WGW.

The bands were all great but struggled with appalling sound from an under-powered PA and seemingly incompetent sound engineers. The strange thing was that at various points throughout the evening the mix would suddenly improve for about 10 seconds and then mysteriously go back to being terrible again. Auger actually stopped their set after the first song and essentially did a second sound check and didn't continue the set until it sounded half-way decent. Overall a less than brilliant start to the weekend. I would have also gone the gig there the following night to see Deviant UK, but the appalling sound put me off. From what I hear the sound was better, but still not very good.

I played at the Met two years previously and it looked like the same people doing the PA, and while they weren't brilliant they weren't as terrible as on this occasion. They also brought a much larger PA that was far more suitable for the size of the venue.

Just went to a Kate Bush tribute gig this evening in Blackburn.  The band are called Cloudbusting and are well worth your time if that is your musical flavour.  Great bass player too in Dave Roberts who played upright, fretless 5er and a 4-string fretted bass.  Do check them out.

https://katebushtribute.com/

Edited by ead
  • Like 1

On 29/05/2024 at 22:50, ead said:

Just went to a Kate Bush tribute gig this evening in Blackburn.  The band are called Cloudbusting and are well worth your time if that is your musical flavour.  Great bass layer too in Dave Roberts who played upright, fretless 5er and a 4-string fretted bass.  Do check them out.

Dave's on here - @sprocketflup

👍

• Like 1

On 29/05/2024 at 22:50, ead said:

Just went to a Kate Bush tribute gig this evening in Blackburn.  The band are called Cloudbusting and are well worth your time if that is your musical flavour.  Great bass layer too in Dave Roberts who played upright, fretless 5er and a 4-string fretted bass.  Do check them out.

Was that you I had a (very) brief chat with at the merch table? Would have liked to chat a bit more but the table was really busy, looked like a tornado had tripped through afterwards!

I did however make a mental note to tidy up my playing in the second half as there was a fellow doghouse man in the venue 😃

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sprocketflup said:

Was that you I had a (very) brief chat with at the merch table? Would have liked to chat a bit more but the table was really busy, looked like a tornado had tripped through afterwards!

I did however make a mental note to tidy up my playing in the second half as there was a fellow doghouse man in the venue 😃

Yes it was me I Dave, and thanks for sparing the time.  My wife was sadly unable to come to the Blackburn gig, but we are both booked to see the band in Colne in a few months.

IMG_7001.thumb.jpeg.16d6a16959cfa679bd576f041b0812a4.jpegGary Numan on his anniversary tour of Pleasure Prinicipal. Good show, way more animated than he was in the 80s. Sound wasn’t great it was all a bit muffled. Smallish venue and it was absolutely rammed. It’s strange seeing 60 odd year old blokes scrapping and getting wrestled out by 5 bouncers 😄

It was the first act I’ve ever seen walk on, not a say a word before, during or after their set. Performed for about an hour and a half and left. No support bands. 

Edited by Dazed

On 12/05/2024 at 13:45, Peloquin said:

I went to see John Lydon last night.  He's on his spoken word "I could be wrong..." tour 

Absolutely terrible. 

Some were laughing, some were cheering,  a lot were walking out.  It came to the half way point and I called it.  Left the venue and went a pub instead. 

A mate of mine had a pretty similar experience. Not good and less than half the punters made it to the end

Compress_20240531_194706_6045.thumb.jpg.45fc14ed650d5a02f8addf5ec42e7954.jpgSaw The Lovely Eggs supported by The Loose Articles and Violet Malice this week in Bristol on board the Thekla.

It took me back to the early 80s. Politically savvy punk and performance poetry. Absolutely belting.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Compress_20240531_194706_6045.thumb.jpg.45fc14ed650d5a02f8addf5ec42e7954.jpgSaw The Lovely Eggs supported by The Loose Articles and Violet Malice this week in Bristol on board the Thekla.

It took me back to the early 80s. Politically savvy punk and performance poetry. Absolutely belting.

Great venue although the sound is much better on the floor than up on the balcony. It's not bad on the balcony though 

• Like 1

I saw Tool in Birmingham last night. Never saw them before, they were bloody excellent! Justin Chancellor's live sound is monstrous and not completely swamped by over-loud kick drum like most these days

No photos, of course. I'm a fan of their ban policy, it makes for a more enjoyable gig experience.