Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who did you see live last?

ubit

36 minutes ago, Peloquin said:

I went to see John Lydon last night.  He's on his spoken word "I could be wrong..." tour 

Absolutely terrible. 

Some were laughing, some were cheering,  a lot were walking out.  It came to the half way point and I called it.  Left the venue and went a pub instead. 

I'm sorry to hear it was bad.

I know he's deviated quite a bit from what he represented in his younger days, but always hoped he might still have an edge....

I just looked at the tour dates. Wow he's really packing the shows in over May and June.

I wonder if people will walk out from every show?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

I'm sorry to hear it was bad.

I know he's deviated quite a bit from what he represented in his younger days, but always hoped he might still have an edge....

I just looked at the tour dates. Wow he's really packing the shows in over May and June.

I wonder if people will walk out from every show?

I'm fairly confident that if no-one walked out he would be disappointed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last was Judas Priest in Birmingham. They were great. First support was Uriah Heep, but we missed most of their set due to traffic. What we did hear sounded good. Then there was Saxon, who thought they were better than they actually were, imho.

• Like 1

The Hoochie Koochie Band in a small pub, the Eagle, in Narberth. Very good, deserved a bigger audience.  Bass player was exceptional.

Night before, Phil Campbell and the Bastard Sons in Narberth Queen's Hall. As brilliant as ever, lively packed out croud in wee 400 soul venue, they just done three very special home gigs in North, West and South Wales to complement their European tour. Hugely appreciated by fans who got a long and varied show. Loud* but excellent sound. Followed by mellow sesh in pub meeting locals, then took very basic pics of fading northern lights. Impressed I could use pro mode of my phone camera in a state of somem inebriation.

*but not stupid loud. My phone app tells me I've seen significantly louder pub bands.

Last night was Mondo Generator at Cobblestones in Bridgestone. 

The band are fronted by ex Kyuss & QOTSA bassist Nick Oliveri and have been around since before QOTSA.

The two support bands, Nomad Lizard and Kadabra were awesome. Kadabra's bassist is my new hero, serious amounts of groove and awesome moves.

Mondo Generator were just awesome, mostly their own stuff but with a few of Nicks songs from QOTSA and Kyuss. 

It was really cool to see someone I've seen play stadiums and arenas play in a small pub and hanging out with the punters.

• Like 2

Bryan Adams at the Coventry Building Society Arena on Friday night. 

The man’s a legend. He’s 64, voice still sounds every bit as good as he did in the 80s with so many brilliant songs to choose from and a tight band to perform them.

Really good party vibe in the heavier songs, dropping down to just piano and acoustic guitar for gentler, quiet moments.

Ive liked his stuff for years and really pleased that he comes across as a proper good egg in real life.

Excellent work that man 👏

IMG_4047.jpeg

IMG_4051.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Jools Holland and his RnB Orchestra last night at Scunthorpe Baths Hall.

Although they are soon playing a venue nearer us, we decided to go to Scunthorpe as it

is a better sounding room - I’ve played there a number of times. Also last night they had

Imelda May as one of the singers along with Ruby Turner.

Strange ‘support’ act from Christopher Holland, younger brother of Jools and Hammond player

in his band. He played and sang a number of songs at the front of the stage, all rather

underwhelming. He seemed shy / almost embarrassed and it was somehow the wrong

start to the show. Then after an interval Jools walked on and started playing, with

the rest of the band joining in gradually. Full 10 piece brass section ( 5 saxes, 2 trombones

and 3 trumpets) sounded fantastic. Dave Swift his usual brilliant self on upright bass all

night too. Gilson’s drums sounded a bit muffled, with the snare having very little top end

to it, but maybe that’s how he wants it. 
The singers were outstanding, especially local girl Sumudu Jayatilaka who was 

unbelievably good, along with Louise Marshall, Imelda May and legend Ruby Turner. 
The band played for nearly two hours, finishing with ‘Enjoy yourself’. Great to hear

such a brilliant big band in full flow, a very enjoyable and entertaining evening. 

(Apologies for the naff photo)

IMG_3788.jpeg

Edited by casapete

Tom Bailey from The Thompson Twins at O2 Indigo. Nick Beggs was on bass. He joined mid tour and it was only his second gig with the band. Which probably explains why he hasn't quite nailed Matthew Seligman's bass line to In the Name of Love.