Why become a member? ×

The Kobayashi Maru of band questions - who to go for.......

The Admiral

Interesting question I've been asked by a friend who plays guitar in a function/pub band (currently about 30/70 split in favour of functions to pubs), but they are trying to swap that around, as it would pay better, and I'm really interested in getting some other opinions.

Simple dilemma - they are looking to recruit a new female lead singer, and have two candidates who everyone in the band has pros and cons for:

Singer 1 - late 30s, experienced, lots of previous Social Club work and duos etc. very good singer, and single, no kids. Looking at the band as a serious endeavour, and keen to make some money from it, and ideally give up the day job.

Singer 2 - mid 20s, not much experience, been in one previous band with an ex boyfriend, good singer, but the weaker of the two, single, no kids. Looking at the band as a serious hobby, but no interest in going fully pro, as she has a really well paid job as a sales rep.

So what's the complication? Singer 1 is a chunky size 18 brunette, but has good stage presence, whilst singer 2 is a perfect size 10, 5 foot 9 inch blonde, and very pretty, but lacks experience.

Both seem very reliable, organised, well prepared for the audition, and can cover a lot of styles well ( I've heard the recordings of the auditions, without seeing the singers prior).

The band - all '40 something' married, with kids type guys, can't agree on who to go for, and the two schools of thought are :

We should go for the better singer - that's what will get us the reputation and the better gigs, and

We should go for the better looking girl, even if she's not quite as good, and a bit green, as she's stunning to look at, and that's what will get us the reputation and the corporate gigs. She'll gain the experience as we go.

I'll not share my thoughts straight out of the gate, but I'm really interested in what other's thoughts are.

Edited by The Admiral

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1441838417' post='2862307']
Is it worth considering taking on both of 'em..? Wide scope there for repertoire, cracking backing vocals and even more prestigious gigs, maybe..? May need a bigger tour bus, though.
[/quote]

We have two female leads, works wonderfully

I've worked a lot with female singers in acoustic duos, and I'd go for the better singer every time. If you can't have both (which as others have said would be an interesting option if it could be made to work), then you'll have better long-term prospects with the option 1. If you chose number two you'd be forever working around her limitations and availability, especially if she gets promoted in her job.

First of all, there will be just as many people in the audience that find singer 1 as attractive as singer 2, regardless of what a bunch of sad old musicians think.

Secondly, if they go for singer 2 based on something as stupid as looks/size then they should sack the fattest member of their band to prove some kind of point.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1441871945' post='2862409']
Both.

How do you know their respective dress sizes by the way? And would you want to be in a band that checked your BMI at audition?
[/quote]

I'll pick up on this, but thanks for all the replies.

The dress size thing was part just of the conversation I had with the guitarist, who doesn't care about it all - he's all about the skills. That said, there are plenty of situations I'm sure where of 2 good male musician auditionees, the band won't take the fat guy. As Simon Cowell famously advised the Take That manager in their very early days, "they might do okay, but get rid of the fat lad" (Gary Barlow).

As I suspected, most of the comments on here bear out my thoughts - it should be about the best singer, not who fits the narrow view of what is 'hot' image wise. We actually already talked about taking both girls, and he thinks that's a great idea, and they probably would be up for it he believes. It gives them the option of still going out as a band when singer 2 can't make it too, and as long as both singers get a share of the limelight, swapping lead and BV it could be great. It also opens up some great material for the function band - Abba for example, and Dancing Queen is a bit of a banker at the corporate gigs.

Regarding the guys in the band, none of them are an oil painting, and if they sacked off the biggest lad, they'd need a new bass player : he's definitely an 8x10, as opposed to a 1x12 if you see what I mean! I suspect the 'let's take the blonde' is being driven by the keys player, who I know a little, and he's on wife number 3 so far - and he's got form, as the current Mrs Keys was the singer in his old band, and he was married to someone else at that stage. She pretty fierce too, so if she gets wind of this situation, it won't even be a question I would think - she'll effectively veto it, but I dont think it will get to that, as it's going to be both or singer 1.

And finally, just for the benefit of Sprocketflup, they've both got nice t*ts apparently.

Looks of a singer/front person can have an impact - if the band were a group of guys in their 20's/early 30's, playing originals & wanting to make a career of it I'd say they should probably think about number 2, the world is shallow out there & the ratio between stereo-typically attractive vs not-so-much is very clear to see.

But it sounds like that's not the case; a group of 40+ guys using a little blonde's looks to get them through the door is going to look a bit desperate at best but more likely bordering on pervy. Sounds like number 1 would fit in more with the band both sound wise & in looks. She seems like the obvious choice to me.

It strikes me that none of the supposed commercial downsides of No 1 will ever actually happen... More gigs with a prettier singer? As a function band you'll get most gigs from your website/promo materials so just make sure that you choose flattering shots. The other gigs will come from word of mouth or people seeing you at a function and giving a kicking performance is what will win those gigs not a comparison against a singer that the potential client has never seen anyway!

Go for the better singer and the more pro attitude and then ask No 2 if she might be willing to dep on gigs that No 1 can't make or where you want to go for a bigger, harmony sound. That might suit a serious hobby singer better anyway!

I've worked for agents that purposefully don't put hot girls up front as it intimidates and upstages brides!!!
Also worked with guys that have green eyed wives who would get funny about a hot 20 something in the band.
Me.... No.1 everytime. If she sings well. Has a great stage presence then she's in. The 20 something can go and find a pub band to learn her craft. Functions and weddings pay better cos you're supposed to be polished and professional....