Why become a member? ×

Compliment?

Nicko

Same for me - I am by no means a flashy player, and tend towards the "less is more" approach which on occasions makes me wonder if I am lazy or just not very good! Current guitarist tells me off if I get to too down on myself about not being able to charge up and down the fretboard at wiill: the word "solid" was used as was "you're a groove/in the pocket type player which is great for me because I always know where you are" (I think he means he always knows where he is because I'm always (!) in the right place). Both of these things were all I aspired to when I started playing so I'll gladly take them as compliments.

Edited by phil.c60

Compliment definitely. I'd settle for that.

Two of the audience for us on Sat came up at the end and compared us favourably with other cover bands 'because our rhythm was just so much more'. I have to say drummist and myself just glowed. Praise for the bass doesn't happen very often so just enjoy it.

Well done

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1439902045' post='2846614']
It means 'fine'... :lol: :lol: which is a bit dismissive, to be honest.

He couldn't think of a proper compliment so maybe he didn't rate it..so 'fine' and 'solid' kind of insults you but you're not entirely sure..
[/quote]

The word "fine" has different meanings depending on context and emphasis. Fine wine usually means excellent or outstanding rather than acceptable. To further muddy the waters, up in the North East of Scotland, the word "rare", pronounced correctly has the same positive connotations as fine as in wine. Even though the thing you are describing is commonplace and not rare in the slightest :)

[quote name='Bassjon' timestamp='1439917606' post='2846774']
Once again I have to play Devil's advocate on here and say yes, while its a compliment personally I wouldn't like it. Solid implies boring to me. I play like Jamerson, very syncopated and busy .... and hopefully tight as well!
[/quote]

I think 'solid' covers that as well. Dependable, not many/any mistakes in playing, no hesitancy, driving the band, locked with how drums, tight.

Not airy fairy and twiddly or overly busy.