Why become a member? ×

What is a tone block?

Sambrook

Well as it has the word "tone" in it it's probably marketing. Could be some truth to it but I'd take what the maker says with a pinch of salt. Or a 25kg bag.

Now a tone control (potentiometer with a capacitor or the like) is more reasonable & demonstrable.

EDIT: after a quick search I came up with two things - a wooden instrument:
And a bunch of aftermarket parts I find rather hard to take seriously: [url="http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/upgrades/sustain-blocks/stone-tone-sustain-block"]http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/upgrades/sustain-blocks/stone-tone-sustain-block[/url]

I did find this [url="http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2015/03/21/gear-review-accuracy-basses-matisse-deluxe-5-string/"]http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2015/03/21/gear-review-accuracy-basses-matisse-deluxe-5-string/[/url]
Which is more in line with the question posed in the first post.

I don't doubt an acoustic instrument can be influenced by choice of wood (especially when it comes to the soundboard, bracing etc.). Hard to see how species of wood can do much, given the variability within each tree and between regions (two "sibling" trees on different sides of a hill can grow very differently depending on wind, moisture, soil, sunlight and other living things).
From my understanding of how most neck joints work - in order to provide decent sustain for the stings it must be fairly rigid. If the bass body wood is very soft or flexible - a "tone" block of a more solid wood may provide a much better body+neck joint. For solid body instruments the focus should be (IMO) on durability, ergonomics, and stability. "Tone" is so subjective anyway - a good feeling bass with no dead spots and great electronics will rock no matter what it's made out of.

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='Sambrook' timestamp='1433950737' post='2795377']
I've noticed many set neck basses have tone blocks. Is this just a decorative contrast, or is there some deeper, more sinister reason? I know you'll know.......
[/quote]

Proverbial can of worms!

Wood doesn't affect the tone

Oh yes it does.

Oh no it doesn't

Oh yes it does

Oh no......

:o

The tone that you thought you'd get from the bass is blocked. :D

I've had a few late 70's Ibanez guitars over the years, and they had a "tone block". It was basically a lump of metal in a cavity under the bridge in the hope that it would help/enhance the sustain/tone from the guitar. Does it work? Dunno is the honest answer.

I think I am right in saying that the idea is to attach the bridge to a section of the instrument which is made from a different material, usually to increase sustain or change the tone (supposedly). Alembic did this quite a lot by having a brass 'tone block' under the bridge, others have used Ash, Alder or Mahogany.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1433952597' post='2795400']
The tone that you thought you'd get from the bass is blocked. :D

I've had a few late 70's Ibanez guitars over the years, and they had a "tone block". It was basically a lump of metal in a cavity under the bridge in the hope that it would help/enhance the sustain/tone from the guitar. Does it work? Dunno is the honest answer.
[/quote]

[quote name='BruceBass3901' timestamp='1433953296' post='2795415']
I think I am right in saying that the idea is to attach the bridge to a section of the instrument which is made from a different material, usually to increase sustain or change the tone (supposedly). Alembic did this quite a lot by having a brass 'tone block' under the bridge, others have used Ash, Alder or Mahogany.
[/quote]

I think it's the same name, but a different idea. See my post with the link to the floyd rose website and granite blocks for bridges!

[quote name='nugget' timestamp='1433952675' post='2795403']
[url="http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/firecreekCustom/media/DSCN1124_zps0fbf60fd.jpg.html"][/url]

You mean the piece of maple between the neck and body? what does it do..... makes it look pretty........
[/quote]

That does look pretty. It also could (depending on the construction) save a lot of wood by allowing flatter neck blanks!
[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1433952444' post='2795397']
Proverbial can of worms!

Wood doesn't affect the tone

Oh yes it does.

Oh no it doesn't

Oh yes it does

Oh no......

:o
[/quote]

B) And that's before the discussions about "psycho-acuostics" and "human hearing ability" come into it.
What is clear is even if concrete proof that wood and tone, or wood species and tone aren't linked - people will still argue about it. If it was proven the other way (that wood & tone are linked or that wood species and tone are linked) I'd like to think I could accept it . . . but we'll have to wait for that day to come.
It's still up for discussion. True or False!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1433954462' post='2795438']
Is a tone bock the same as a tone plate?

The Gibson Les Paul Money bass had a walnut tone plate:

[/quote]

My understanding is that it's the thick central block that runs from neck socket to bridge. It seems to be common with semi-hollow bodied basses. I suppose they need somewhere sturdy to fix the neck and bridge.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1433954462' post='2795438']
Is a tone bock the same as a tone plate?

The Gibson Les Paul Money bass had a walnut tone plate:

[/quote]

As does the later model Les Paul Double Cut:

What's that? There's one for sale in the forum? Well, I'll be damned! ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fodera+tone+block&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&fir=sjzTxee-HKeb4M%253A%252CfroaoORBbfvsoM%252C_%253BAqjlGJGL0o-ltM%253A%252Cb4gCZOr7w_9F6M%252C_%253Bp6gOFmM5F0XcwM%253A%252CY4OsMJK2jUTRQM%252C_&usg=__-X9mzaZf0ZfA2sx5RRa5PYfbiCo%3D&sa=X&ved=0CCsQ7AlqFQoTCP2zta_khcYCFUNK2wodc5QA1g#imgrc=p6gOFmM5F0XcwM%253A%3BY4OsMJK2jUTRQM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Frobinruscio.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2011%252F10%252FDSC0795-2.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Frobinruscio.com%252F2011%252F10%252Fthe-new-fodera-emperor-ii-elite%252F%3B1028%3B685
This is what Fodera regard as a tone block. The contrast wood in the centre on the back of the body.

Edited by Musashimonkey

[quote name='BruceBass3901' timestamp='1433953296' post='2795415']
[/quote]

This is what some alembics have under the bridge. Usually it's usually made from brass but you can specify what you want.

[attachment=194019:serveimage.jpeg]

[quote name='Sambrook' timestamp='1433950737' post='2795377']
I've noticed many set neck basses have tone blocks. Is this just a decorative contrast, or is there some deeper, more sinister reason? I know you'll know.......
[/quote]

I'd say it was a decorative 'enhancement'... in that the basses that may feature them should be made well enough not to really need one...certainly if
sustain is the goal... IMHO, of course.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1434233134' post='2797902']
A tone block is not being able to recognise that wood choice has a significant impact on tone...

;)
[/quote]

A tone block is the slidy part of a Westone Rail.

;)

So, a tone block is found on all neck through instruments, put simply, it is the extended part of the neck that is sandwiched between the body wings.
It can be different wood to the neck & body wing wood, and is certainly thought to effect tone!

Check out the rear views of all neck-through Foderas for a perfect example.

Si

Also on some bolt on neck basses. The Musicman Reflex is a particular example. It has a mahogany tone block within an otherwise ash body. The guitar version has a chambered tone block.

The intention is, as far as I know, to alter the resonance of the body wood.

It always make me laugh when I read comments on bass fora about body wood making no difference on an electric instrument - and yet manufacturers go to the expense of adding tone blocks of different types of wood in order to produce a specific tone which wouldn't be available otherwise - or would result in a heavier bass if the tone block wood was used for the whole body.