Why become a member? ×

Plays like butter.

Maude

I have probably completely missed the point to this saying, but what the hell does 'plays like butter' mean?
Surely butter is the last thing you'd want a bass to play like, soft and claggy and leaves your hands in a right mess.
I've never played a bass and thought, I wish this felt more like a big lump of butter.

Enlighten me :)

I think it means easy to play, as in smooth and slick with a low action, a great neck and possibly shiny flats... mmm, butter.
My 76P plays like butter. It also [i]looks [/i]like butter...

In fact, I can't believe it's NOT butter.

Edited by discreet

It's one of those annoying phrases the permeate eBay listings. My pet hate is "minty", which seems to originate with [url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Septic"]Septics[/url] that don't know why it's supposed to be "mint" and assume it's a contraction of "minty fresh".

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1431470570' post='2771798']
Anyone using "plays like butter" to mean "plays smoothly" has obviously never tried to spread cold butter.
[/quote]

This. The single, most frustrating thing about modern life. Well, that and a lack of Proportional Representation...

It's one of those phrases like 'the proof is in the pudding' that I seem to hear every now and then. Rather, 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'. Similarly things that are described as being as 'smooth as a hot knife through butter' maybe wrongly worded as 'plays like butter'. The first of each doesn't really make sense!

These sayings aren't supposed to make sense, they are accepted idioms that we all understand (or most of us do) and help to bind us into cohesive social groups. It is why older people feel alienated by the younger generation as they will also define themselves by adapting and adopting idioms to their own use.

It's moved beyond simile by dropping its reference to the original to the point that it makes no logical sense, but has a non-logical meaning that is widely accepted. This sort of thing is a right bugger to teach foreign students!

Anyway, I prefer my basses to fight back a little, I can't get any feeling into a butter-smooth low action

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1431609893' post='2773167']
I prefer my basses to fight back a little, I can't get any feeling into a butter-smooth low action
[/quote]

+1 Quite, I like to have to work at it. If the action is too low the strings have no room to breathe and it's too tempting to fly around the fretboard like an arse..

Edited by discreet

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1431610278' post='2773179']
This reminds me of something from Viz, which would be entirely inappropriate to post. :lol:
[/quote]

Are you referring to Viz's showbiz correspondent Ms Fanny Batter? I think we should be told.