Why become a member? ×

Least favourite? Most hated?

ubit

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1430993498' post='2766599']
I can tolerate almost anything in the background.

'Turn the radio off' reserved for Cindi Lauper - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, and the entire collected works of the Lighthouse Family and Snow Patrol.
[/quote]
completly age with the last 2 on there. i have to turn a radio off whenever Wonderwall comes on. i can't understand why oasis are so popular but wonderwall is my pet hate!

Hi Ho Silver Lining - thanks, I thought I'd finally forgotten that..

Any of the turgid R'N'B crooners that I used to have to endure at the end of 'discos' in the 80's, you know, the ones that prompted the 'pavlovian snogging response.'

More recently anything by Blur...

I can't really afford to have a 'hatred' for any genre, but there are certainly musical types that I won't listen to given the choice.

Fortunately, I am of the age now where being asked to play with a rap, grunge or thrash band or recording are long gone.

Unfortunately, I still get asked to play country & western, jazz and ridiculously angst ridden 'fake folk' stuff about unrequited love. :D

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1431021169' post='2767035']

...ridiculously angst ridden 'fake folk' stuff about unrequited love. :D
[/quote]

O god there is too much of this happening at the music venues I tend to frequent. A succession of solo musicians, mainly mournful blokes or warbly women with guitars. If only they would allow a bass player in on the act to beef it up a bit. And/or a drummer. Or someone playing a harmonica. Or the spoons. In fact anything to detract from the tedium.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1431009733' post='2766870']
Ellie Goulding/ Florence and the Machine

The guy shouting in the video above isn't being anything less than sincere although judging by the party being replicated in the film I wouldn't want to be his neighbour.

Ol' Flo and Ellie though are insincere and are trying to pass off lack of talent as a singing style- and that rubs me up the wrong way.
[/quote]Agreed, and people are lapping it up.

Agree with the Smiths - I quite like some of the music but Morrisey's lyrics were always far too clever & smug for me - I always felt the The Wedding Present did it better & without constantly blowing their own trumpets about it.

At the risk of being ostracized I quite like a lot of Hip-Hop especially G-Funk era Dr Dre productions & solo stuff, if , like me you grew up in rural England the lyrics are ridiculous, but there's something about it that makes my head nod.

Try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wBTdfAkqGU. (Warning contains some bad language & probably a few n-words).

There are plenty of bands/styles I dislike, but few of them actually 'bother' me. Except that is for The Doors. I think the hatred is worsened by the adulation and worship heaped upon them , particularly Morrison. Gah!

Oh, and Guns n' Roses, but I can put that entirely down to the vocal stylings of Mr Rose. Funnily, considering he ripped off the style completely, I love a bit of Nazareth.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1431013253' post='2766922']
the singer throws up in the sink
He looks really young too..
[/quote]
Aww bless. I remember my first pint too :lol:

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1431026762' post='2767121']
Except that is for The Doors. I think the hatred is worsened by the adulation and worship heaped upon them , particularly Morrison. Gah![/quote]
Agreed. Pretentious post-beatnik beard stroking yeah-man nonsense. Bleh.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1431026762' post='2767121']
There are plenty of bands/styles I dislike, but few of them actually 'bother' me. Except that is for The Doors. I think the hatred is worsened by the adulation and worship heaped upon them , particularly Morrison. Gah!

Oh, and Guns n' Roses, but I can put that entirely down to the vocal stylings of Mr Rose. Funnily, considering he ripped off the style completely, I love a bit of Nazareth.
[/quote]

I quite like the music of the Doors, but all the hero worship of Jim Morrison as some kind of poet for the hippy generation always put me off them.

Guns n' Roses are the nadir of bad rock music. Utterly revolting, with no redeeming features whatsoever.

thanks Cato you have just reminded me Ha!! the wedding present.
bloody hell they were a non event.
were still talking about the Smiths 30 + years after they made like a banana and split.
but that's it longevity. The Smiths have it.
hip hop and all ( C) rap that stuff? never meant for a Smiths fan. Young man.
will there ever be wedding where the first tune will be F**K Da police by NWA?
I've played " This Charming Man" and "Please, Please,Please" at, at least two weddings, never been asked for some(C)rap....ever.
its about songs not shouting.
I'm 50...should I just go away?

Shouting I can stand, old school '90s Death Metal is great. Oasis on the other hand are a turgid mess of bloated ego. Have to commend Liam Gallagher for his passable imitation of a rusty hacksaw sawing a sheet of corrugated iron, though.

As mentioned by someone earlier, I simply cannot listen to UB40 without feeling physically ill, such a horrible thin, straining nasal voice.

Sting falls into the same category for me. I quite like some Police songs but most of his solo stuff makes me cringe!

I definitely have a deep dislike of badly performed 'cod-reggae' performed by, mostly, white blokes. 10CC were maybe one of the worst ever but there's been so many bands that have tried it and it never really works.