Why become a member? ×

Least favourite? Most hated?

ubit

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1431789979' post='2775048']
I find anything by Deep Purple extremely naff.

Most of it sounds - to me anyway - like it was written by a school teacher for a 'with it' Yr6 school musical, or maybe by a leader at a council yoof club.
[/quote]Bit harsh.

Most jazz...a great deal of it seems to be musical masturbation - look how much I can do with the rules of music, melody, and harmony. Except a great deal of it is not musical, melodious, or harmonious.
Metal. Turgid riffery for its own sake.
Rap/hiphop - garbage.
Yes, I'm well into the older end of the old fart spectrum. Getting there has taught me to like what I like and, largely, disregard everything else.
On the other hand, I'm surprised by a few things I like now - Alison Krauss, for example. As a prog-head in the past, it would not have been on my radar at all.
Now, it's almost anything prog-like that is off the radar...and I'm starting a Carpenters tribute!

[quote name='CHW' timestamp='1432129078' post='2778413']
I find the majority of modern metal just gets me reaching for the radio dial, all that blast beat, shouty nonsense. It ceases to be about angry energy and becomes nothing more than aural epilepsy.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's gone very cliched and formula now . Individuality gone out the window .

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1432757852' post='2784748']
Yeah, it's gone very cliched and formula now . Individuality gone out the window .
[/quote]

I don't know a great deal about the subject, but I get the impression that the minute a band does something different, which deviates from the formula, they suddenly get labelled as a complete different sub-type of metal, and an entire subgenre springs up based around the one thing they've done differently...

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1432850735' post='2785701']
I tried, and failed, to get into funk music recently. :lol: The best stuff was the two Fela Kuti albums I tracked down.
[/quote]

Well I'd call that Afrobeat, but I don't want to split hairs... Fela is excellent, though. :)

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1432850735' post='2785701']
Lets take a P bass, fit flatwound strings, lower the action to farty-buzz point then DI the bass clean into the desk.
[/quote]

You've heard my new album, then..? :lol: