Why become a member? ×

Least favourite? Most hated?

ubit

We all have varying tastes, I mean that's what makes the music world so interesting and whilst we all have certain songs or bands that we love more than any others, I was wondering if any of you have certain songs that you absolutely hate, to the point of having to leave a room or turn off the radio?

Personally, and I know I will upset a few folks here, but I absolutely detest American Pie , money for nothing, walk of life, pretty much anything by the Doors or the Beatles for that matter and last but not least under pressure, which I think I'm actually allergic to!

Yes, anything by this lot.
My Daughter was into them big time when she was 14-15.. luckily for me she is over it now.
I'd start to get aggressive and angry when I heard him start to scream or shout :(

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZNf3EdqNx8[/media]

My reason for disliking a lot of (especially old) stuff may be seen as a bit odd. Basically, it’s about production values.
We’ve taken many technical leaps over the past 20 years, and when I listen to modern rock / pop punk songs (they just happen to be the genres I enjoy most) I get a room-filling sound with total clarity and kick drum & bass guitar that can be physically felt.
The past is littered with ‘classics’ which are, to me, dirges – Whiter Shade of Pale, House of the Rising Sun, Comfortably Numb etc etc etc – but as a bassist I was brought up on Level 42 and worshipped everything they did. These days, though, I hear anything prior to Retroglide and just think it sounds flimsy in terms of production.
There are songs I hate, of course, but there are many I used to like but can’t listen to now because they just don’t sound as good.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1430993295' post='2766595']
My Daughter was into them big time when she was 14-15.. luckily for me she is over it now.
I'd start to get aggressive and angry when I heard him start to scream or shout :(

[/quote]

Bloody hell what a racket!
I dont think it matters what key you play this noisy sh*t in, as he just screams down the mike.

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1430993362' post='2766597']
My reason for disliking a lot of (especially old) stuff may be seen as a bit odd. Basically, it’s about production values.
We’ve taken many technical leaps over the past 20 years, and when I listen to modern rock / pop punk songs (they just happen to be the genres I enjoy most) I get a room-filling sound with total clarity and kick drum & bass guitar that can be physically felt.
The past is littered with ‘classics’ which are, to me, dirges – Whiter Shade of Pale, House of the Rising Sun, Comfortably Numb etc etc etc – but as a bassist I was brought up on Level 42 and worshipped everything they did. These days, though, I hear anything prior to Retroglide and just think it sounds flimsy in terms of production.
There are songs I hate, of course, but there are many I used to like but can’t listen to now because they just don’t sound as good.
[/quote]

I'm the opposite - I hate modern-sounding production that pushes everything to 0db and keeps it there. Totally lacking in dynamics and very tiring to listen to. As far as songs I don't like go, I would definitely walk at least 500 miles to avoid a certain song by a certain Scottish duo.

Agree with anyone who says they don't like another band whose initials are DS... also don't have time for anything by Simply Red or the Eagles, probably due to having to listen to their albums on rotation against my will...

And anything by the truly appalling Gwen Stefani, who in my opinion represents everything that is wrong with the world and should be lashed until she drops. On prime-time TV.

Edited by discreet

There are millions -

Queen - This Thing Called Love - that faux rockabilly thing just hacked me off at the time and ever since

Moondance - nuff said

With a tiny number of exceptions, most 'sixties' music - just hated the bubblegum nonsensicality of it all (is that a word?)

Most Motown - great bass lines, crap lyrics

Good Times - Chic - never got what the fuss was about 'groove'-wise but the lyrics are the pits

Rod Stewart - always want to like him but his material is all so lame espacially the worst abomionation We Are Sailing

Mull of Kintyre - hated it then, hate it now. Love 'Silly Love Songs' and 'Live and Let Die' but MoK? Icky beyond belief!!

Hit The Road Jack - utterly pointless

I could go on AAAAAAAAAAALLL day (and often do)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1430994046' post='2766605']
Queen - This Thing Called Love - that faux rockabilly thing just hacked me off at the time and ever since.
Most Motown - great bass lines, crap lyrics.
Rod Stewart - always want to like him but his material is all so lame especially the worst abomination We Are Sailing.
Mull of Kintyre - hated it then, hate it now.
[/quote]

Queen - The song you mention, I agree.
Motown - Some of the lyrics are dodgy for sure, but some are classic. I don't care anyway if it's Jamerson or Babbit on bass.
Rod Stewart - terrible song but guaranteed a great life for his many ex-wives and dependents.
Mull of Kintyre - McCartney is an excellent and very underrated bass player but I can't forgive him for this! Good for his wallet, though.

[sub]I love/enjoy rock, pop, metal, indie, electo, motown, dance, soul, blues, country, folk, punk, classical and many other varieties.

In almost all cases I switch off any Rap or Jazz. To my taste and personally to my ear both are without merit.[/sub]

Edited by stuckinthepod

Absolutely anything by the Stones. Everything they have ever done. I detest them with a passion and struggle to understand their appeal.
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430993748' post='2766603']
I hate modern-sounding production that pushes everything to 0db and keeps it there. Totally lacking in dynamics and very tiring to listen to.
[/quote]
Agreed 10000%.

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1430994668' post='2766615']
[size=4][sub]In almost all cases I switch off any Rap or Jazz. To my taste and personally to my ear both are without merit.[/sub][/size]
[/quote]

I can see the merit in Jazz... after all, Jazz is the teacher and Funk is the preacher... and there are examples of rap music I do like... mostly early examples, it's true, but they are out there.

Can't agree with a recent article I read in the news that early-nineties Hip-Hop was actually more influential and groundbreaking than the Beatles ever were... this information apparently from 'a study'... makes me wonder who 'the study' was carried out by.

Probably 'a study' by people under thirty, I'll warrant. Bloody kids! Get off my lawn! *Waves walking stick*

Edited by discreet

For me, many if not all 'artists' are looking to make money from music so its worth bearing this in mind.

'Artists' are fond of churning out product, whether that be 'lift musc' or special effect laden bass heavy megastomp and if it can be used across the media to sell something all the better.

I tend to avoid the stuff that I don't like rather than have strong feelings about it.

Yeah, there was an age of rap that was fun, often with quite a good message – I’m thinking White Lines, The Crown, er, possibly others – but modern rap (even a lot of RnB) seems to enjoy focusing on misogyny, shiny ting and claims of sexual prowess. I’ve sometimes wondered if a deal should be done; you stop referring to females as bitches and hoes and we’ll stop referring to you with the ‘n’ word.

My view on Rap (Using this as a catchall term to encompass every thing from Public Enemy to Kanye) is that it offers me too little musically where as Jazz offers me too much. I totally understand that's a sweeping generalisation and that vocal melodic jazz is different from free form experimental stuff. However, from generalised standpoint I'd turn off most jazz 9 out of 10 times.

I think I just drawn to good melodies, good hooks and music that's connects with me emotionally. Rap and Jazz only inspire irritation in me.

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1430996168' post='2766639']
Blimey IBTL
[/quote]
I see no need for a lock unless it gets shouty? As long as everyone bears in mind that opinions are like arseholes (we all have one) and that mine is as valid as his, which is as valid as hers, which is as valid etc etc etc, it'll be fine. We're all grownups, right? :)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1430993295' post='2766595']

[/quote]

I'm massively into Death/Black/Thrash Metal, even this is just noise to me.

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1430995979' post='2766635']
Yeah, there was an age of rap that was fun, often with quite a good message – I’m thinking White Lines, The Crown, er, possibly others – but modern rap (even a lot of RnB) seems to enjoy focusing on misogyny, shiny ting and claims of sexual prowess. I’ve sometimes wondered if a deal should be done; you stop referring to females as bitches and hoes and we’ll stop referring to you with the ‘n’ word.
[/quote]

I think that is part of what dissuades me from it. It seems to be a genre where there is an adherence to a very limited set of messages & story telling that is overwhelming negative. My other complaint is that it seems so musically limited and the "big" songs song to my ears little more than a click track with someone talking misogynistically over the top.
Now you can spin than round and talk in exactly the same what about the limited nature of metal music and content there of- however I like metal. :lol:

As a side question -- a corollary to the original, if you will -- is there a genre of music that you used to hate, but have gradually grown to admire/like/love? Vice versa, do you now loathe something you used to adore?
For myself: back in my late teens, I could not [i]stand[/i] classical music. Or opera for that matter. Or anything even remotely C&W-ish. But nowadays, people like Shostakovich and Puccini and Brad Paisley are among the staples of my musical diet.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1430996436' post='2766642'] I see no need for a lock unless it gets shouty? As long as everyone bears in mind that opinions are like arseholes (we all have one) and that mine is as valid as his, which is as valid as hers, which is as valid etc etc etc, it'll be fine. We're all grownups, right? :) [/quote]

Exactomundo. It's all points of view (until someone disses Black Sabbath- then the gloves are off :o ).
I've actually found playing bass opened my ear up to and made me consider the merits of music I formally had no interest in at all. Whereas my earlier years playing guitar just cemented me in a narrow musical area that interested me.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1430996788' post='2766652']
As a side question -- a corollary to the original, if you will -- is there a genre of music that you used to hate, but have gradually grown to admire/like/love? Vice versa, do you now loathe something you used to adore?
For myself: back in my late teens, I could not [i]stand[/i] classical music. Or opera for that matter. Or anything even remotely C&W-ish. But nowadays, people like Shostakovich and Puccini and Brad Paisley are among the staples of my musical diet.
[/quote]

Yep I have grown to love Alt Country and bluegrass and bass led me to funk & soul & motown. Used to only be in to "Guitar" music E.G Rock/indie but that led down the road to blues, then trad blues then all of a sudden all kinds of more traditional music.