Why become a member? ×

I bloomin’ well love this community!

Skol303

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]We’ve had a few low points in the Basschat camp of late. But the reason why I love this community is because the ups [i]always[/i] outweigh the lows.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]As an example - a few weeks ago I posted this thread, asking for advice on how to fit guitar wall-hangers…[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/258428-fitting-wall-hangers/[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]…not only did I receive plenty of good advice, but today I also received in the post:[/size][/size][/font]
[list]
[*][size=4]Three wall-hangers (Hercules - exactly what I wanted!), courtesy of Bilbo[/size]
[*][size=4]A packet of heavy-duty fittings and tailor-made instructions on how to use them, courtesy of Gelfin[/size]
[/list]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]All for FREE.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Where else can you find this sort of kindness and generosity online?? Personally, I’ve never encountered it anywhere else - and I’ve belonged to a good number of music forums of the years.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Truly, we have a bloomin’ great community of people here and I’m proud to be amongst y’all.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Cheers everyone :drinks:[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Paul[/size][/size][/font]

^ Nice one guys! Share your feel good stories here.
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]In the past I’ve also been sent:[/size][/size][/font]
[list]
[*][size=4]Some Fender strap lock washers by Ki0gan (I send him a guitar electronics book in exchange)[/size]
[*][size=4]Some 70s P-bass control knobs (bought at a discount on eBay from a fellow BC’er)[/size]
[*][size=4]A bass guitar by Paul at 13 Guitar co!![/size]
[/list]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]…my cup runneth over ;)[/size][/size][/font]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1427716196' post='2733305']
Very good! Whatever it is, can you get me some next time please??
[/quote]

Mark: now we've discussed this... my bra size just isn't compatible with your body shape. No fair, but no share. Sorry :P

I bought my Stingray from eBay from a guy who wouldn't ship it and lived miles away. It was all made possible by StingrayPete, who offered to collect it for me if I won the auction. Not only did he collect it for me, he set it up, polished it and delivered it to Bristol when he was down here visiting a friend. All this for someone he'd never met in person! This place is amazing, some of the knowledge displayed by some members staggers me at times, you could post a thread asking for advice on just about any subject and someone here will have some sage advice ready for you.

Edited by ern500evo

I was loaned a £3k double bass for six months by a guy I had never met (jakenewmanbass)! As a consequence, I now not only play the instrument but run a Jazz venue and play weekly gigs with some of the UK's leading players (Christine Tobin, John Etheridge, Alan Barnes, Jim Mullen, Nigel Price, Tim Whitehead, Jason Robello, Gilad Atzmon..... dozens). I 'pay it forward' whenever I can and, this time, it was Skol who benefitted.

It's a brilliant community full of fantastic people, I first realised it with the Vicki bass thread and there's been several times since when people have helped and gone miles out of their way for no reason other than it's a nice thing to do; I try and do the same whenever opportunity presents and I'm very glad to be a member here.

I'll add my big thanks to CamdenRob for giving me his 5-bass stand (currently in use in our living room, holding three lefties and one righty!), and to Bartelby for sending me those tiny, precious bits of Warwick hardware to finish repairing my Corvette's bridge ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/255630-fixing-a-dodgy-bridge-on-a-2010-korean-warwick-corvette-pro/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/255630-fixing-a-dodgy-bridge-on-a-2010-korean-warwick-corvette-pro/[/url]). Both totally FOC. As Bilbo says, I'm doing my best to pay it forward where possible. :)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1427741422' post='2733763']
I was loaned a £3k double bass for six months by a guy I had never met (jakenewmanbass)! As a consequence, I now not only play the instrument but run a Jazz venue and play weekly gigs with some of the UK's leading players (Christine Tobin, John Etheridge, Alan Barnes, Jim Mullen, Nigel Price, Tim Whitehead, Jason Robello, Gilad Atzmon..... dozens).[size=5][b] I 'pay it forward' whenever I can[/b][/size] and, this time, it was Skol who benefitted.[/quote]

I like this idea. :)

I post very rarely and mainly about basses, playing or music (my apologies, I realise this is perverse).

I've always had helpful replies to questions and have been introduced to lots of great music and playing through recommendations.

Turnover of basses has increased markedly since joining Basschat though - there was much less temptation in the alt.bass-guitar days of old.