Why become a member? ×

Recording discipline - your top tips for a young band

The Admiral

A friend of mind has asked me for some top tips re recording, as his lad's band (all 18-19) are going into a 'proper studio' for the first time to do some recording (3 tracks over the weekend) and he wants to make sure they get best value from their hard earned.

I've been through the obvious like - tuning, timing, turn up on time with all your kit in good shape, and very well rehearsed and clear on what you are looking to get from the sessions, don't get pissed the night before etc.

Anything else? It's a 2 guitars, bass and drums 4 piece - a bit Athlete/Kasabian style and there are pretty good for a gang of youngsters, albeit very inexperienced.

Don't bu99er about in the studio. Leave the twiddling for the bedroom - guess who's that aimed at!!

Be focussed and, when getting sounds together, play what you are going to be playing and at the volume you'll be playing it. Like a soundcheck, it's pointless if you immediately start thrashing after a nice measured level check.

Difficult...
How long have they got in terms of hours, what are they trying to achieve and to what standard/to what end..
Are they good enough to get live takes as a band or will they need to be play solo...?
Will the studio be able to do fixes/overdubs/drop-ins and what time can they allow for that.

Outline a time limit for each process,, i,e drums, bass, solos, vox, BV/s etc etc and make sure they understand
what a time limit actually is...? Is it fair the bass and drums get 3 hrs total and the gtr gets 3 hours for solos..etc etc ??
Do they also go for a compromise finish or do they go back and pay more to get it it right if/when out of time...??
Do they understand the mix down process and how long it will take..?

Are they willing to treat this as stage 1 learning curve or do they have other ideas..?

Know your parts going in.
Use a click track. It makes editing so much easier.
Play with the same passion as a live show. If your meek and reserved it will show in the recording sounding flat.
Solos need to be thought out. Inspiration and improv has no place in the studio when time is premium.
Save the beers for sun nite after its all over. Alcohol affects your ears and your perception of frequencies.
Be realistic on what you can achieve with 3 tracks in a weekend. I could spend multiple weekends on one track....
Look after the engineer/producer they can make the session successful or a ball ache.
Have fun!

[quote name='Jonesthebass' timestamp='1425652020' post='2709414']
Know your parts going in.
Use a click track. It makes editing so much easier.
Play with the same passion as a live show. If your meek and reserved it will show in the recording sounding flat.
Solos need to be thought out. Inspiration and improv has no place in the studio when time is premium.
Save the beers for sun nite after its all over. Alcohol affects your ears and your perception of frequencies.
Be realistic on what you can achieve with 3 tracks in a weekend. I could spend multiple weekends on one track....
Look after the engineer/producer they can make the session successful or a ball ache.
Have fun!
[/quote]

This. All of it.

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1425649212' post='2709381']
I'd have thought it was quite hard to record discipline.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxxMg2QL2yM"]http://www.youtube....h?v=uxxMg2QL2yM[/url]

Edited by BigRedX

I don't know these lads, and I'm no expert on studios either, but you could do worse than advise them to avoid the mixing process this time around.

In particular, no ONE band member should be allowed to be involved. If one does it, then the whole band has to do it.

If this is their first serious attempt, then their best route is to leave it to the professional.

Also, that gives them all someone to blame later. :lol:

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1425649010' post='2709379']
A friend of mind has asked me for some top tips re recording, as his lad's band (all 18-19) are going into a 'proper studio' for the first time to do some recording (3 tracks over the weekend) and he wants to make sure they get best value from their hard earned.

I've been through the obvious like - tuning, timing, turn up on time with all your kit in good shape, and very well rehearsed and clear on what you are looking to get from the sessions, don't get pissed the night before etc.

[b]Anything else? It's a 2 guitars, bass and drums 4 piece - a bit Athlete/Kasabian style and there are pretty good for a gang of youngsters, albeit very inexperienced.[/b]
[/quote]

Be reasonable with their expectations when they have someone else..who hopefully knows waay more, telling/directing them
and when they realise what they all really sound/feel like when under such a potential microscope...?
Embrace it as something of a process/journey and something they want/need to go back and do again..all the while, learning
just a little bit more.
Don't expect miracles but if they are proud of it, then job done. Next time, raise the bar again.. etc etc etc

If there`s anything specific they want in the mix, such as prominent hi-hats, or emphasis on a lead solo, bass run etc, write them down and give them to the engineer, along with approximate times/positions in the songs. For one that way they won`t forget, and secondly will make things easier for the engineer.

Do the simple things well and don't overcomplicate - you'll want to listen back in a few years/decades and be proud of what you've recorded!

Don't be afraid of chopping and changing sections if you are having trouble getting a full good take (requires a click track!)

Edited by acidbass

Importantly, let the studio engineer do his/her job and listen to what they have to say.

They're like the pilot of an airplane. Typically calm and polite, but really they just want you to keep the hell out of the cockpit and let them get on with it :)

Good thread and some good advice I shall be putting into practice since I'm about to be in almost the exact same scenario as stated in the first post. I've done recordings in the past but they've mainly just been cover songs which didn't really involve much bass and not anything quite as complex as what I'll be recording soon.

Don't drink coffee all day- a dark noisy room full of wired teenage musicians, no thanks.

Do be nice to each other- patient, positive when listening back.

If you've got a good additional guitar part for example, record it. It's gutting to get the mix back a go, it really needs x we talked about doing.

I'm paraphrasing here, so bear with me: Most bands rehearse until they don't make a mistake. The great bands rehearse until they CAN'T make a mistake.

If they are realistic in their expectations, they won't be unduly disappointed. If the engineer is experienced . . . listen to him. He or she knows when the levels are wrong, when there's sloppy playing, how to improve cohesion/tightness, etc. If they go into this as it being a learning experience, they'll be fine. Maybe they'll be a wee bit disappointed in the end product, but it will be something to grow on.

<><Peace

It will take at least half a day to get the drums set up and miced, phased and balanced. So bear that in mind.

You haven't said if they are recording live, or tracking and overdubbing.

Maybe they will all play together so the drums are good and have the vibe of a live band, then use the guitars, bass and vocal recordings as guides from that if necessary, then overdub the proper vocals, and any other stuff that needs redoing. If they are taking that approach, which I think is a good one, then they will need to support the drummer (who is trying to get a take) by playing through any mistakes and not getting distracted by them. Timing is the key.

The engineer may want the guitars and bass to DI, and then reamp later for the mix. That may freak them out. Be prepared for that.

I suppose the biggest tip is not to be nervous. Nerves waste the most time.

Hope they have a top time!

Go in planning to do three tracks, don't be disappointed if you come away with two finished tracks and one rushed one, start with your best song, it's amazing how time flies by whilst the band argue about a song they all know off by heart...trouble is every band member hears it differently! The mixing ends up rushed and the third song becomes a struggle....above all enjoy the experience and listen and learn

Jonesthebass nailed it earlier , and bar that , it is too late to worry about anything else , the preparation should all have been done by now as it is the playing that will count. Making the sounds should be second nature , everything else is being looked after. play as the songs demand , smile or be angry, whichever , but acting the song out and feeling it will come across in the recording for the better .