Why become a member? ×

Which P Bass for roughly 700 - 800 notes

Thunderpaws

Hi all. Having successfully saved and been gifted some vouchers, now have enough money to buy a new P Bass, probably from GuitarGuitar(vouchers). Out of the lot there appear to be some Aesthetic favourites and I have tried some acoustically but not plugged in. Genre is mainly rock. Which would be top of your list, and why, of the following?

Nate Mendel P Bass
American Special P Bass
Standard P Bass
50's P Bass
Deluxe Active P Special

Or anything else that I should consider.

I know there will be some Fender haters along and I know some will say "just go and try them all", which I will anyway. But If anyone has a pearl of wisdom or two then that'd be swell. Anything to avoid ( except, all of them coz they be Fender) out of that lot?

Thanks for any pointers and feedback.

Marketplace here on this very site, my good man - plenty of decent fare for you're budget.

If it has to be new, I like the new American Specials - excellent value. As are the original run of the 50's - pretty much the Roadworn basses without the relic job. lovely basses.
Haven't tried a Nate Mendel but I hear they are excellent. Love the looks.

http://m.guitarguitar.co.uk/Product/px-KT174NY10657

Might be worth a look - if it's local to you.

The Specials are great and so are the 50s. When I bought my Precision new, it was between the one I got (a US Standard) and a Roadworn. I'd have been happy with either but the shop i bought from had one of each of these that felt like winners. I didn't like the Special I tried - but that was partly because the setup was dreadful. I've owned one since and really liked it. I like the Greasebucket circuitry too, which some don't. I'd just go to the shop and see what you like best, if you go in for a certain instrument and the one in the shop happens to be a lemon you might miss out on an unexpected gem.

Also, I don't like the pickups, but the Nate Mendel P is great too, if a little neck heavy. Some lighter tuners and, for me, a different pickup would make them a lightweight and very nice Precision.

Edited by M@23

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1423086654' post='2680677']
Nate Mendel P Bass
American Special P Bass
Standard P Bass
50's P Bass
Deluxe Active P Special
[/quote]

Of your list I have tried 4, and own 1 (coincidentally, rather than causally)

Putting you out of your misery, I have a Deluxe Active P, mainly because it was the 'best' (in Fender's terms) P I could afford to buy on the market at the time. I've grown to love it, but I think if I had my time again I would look for a great, straight passive Precsion instead.

What makes a great passive Precsion? Down to you, but in my personal experience anything from the Squier VM series upwards has a chance of being at least good. Since buying the Deluxe I've had a Squier VM, a MIM standard, and a Mark Hoppus sig which have all been brilliant in their own way.

It sounds naff, but get to GuitarGuitar, play everything they've got, and take what speaks to you home.

It really depends on what you want from your precision. I personally went for the Nate Mendel as it already had the upgrades I would have made to the bass without paying any extra or having to install. This aside, if you like a lighter bass, or slimmer neck then the NM is something you should consider as it has/is both. If you're not bothered by those features by all accounts the Classic 50's are highly regarded. I've owned the classic 60's and 70's jazzes and they were amongst the best basses I've owned for construction quality.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1423089085' post='2680738']
For that money I'd go for a post 2008 American Standard Precision. They come up here often enough and often as good as new condition.
Lots of bass for your money. :)

Frank.
[/quote]

These are my faves too.

Edit - should add, for the budget specified. My all-time fave is my 78 Precision.

Edited by Lozz196

Thanks to everyone for the time it took to get back to this. I am fairly open as to which I get, even tried some jazzes and the aerodyne FSR. The Jazz neck felt too narrow for my big paws and the aerodyne appeared to be very well put together and its neck felt a bit more playable than the Jazz I tried. Anyhow, fairly certain it'll be a P.

I am off to Italy skiing on Saturday for a week, have my first gig the week after I get back then I will be able to get shopping.

Hadnt really considered the 50s option, seemed to fly under my radar for some unknown feedback, so will make sure I try a couple of those too.

I play through a Streamliner, should I take it along when I try them out?

G

I've bought a few new MIM's lately and they are very variable, my current white one has immensley powerful pickups and a slightly chunky neck than a couple of the others and I haven't had a bad one. I have owned USA & Squiers too, in fact the one I really should have hung on to was a honeyburst Squier P with a maple board, it was awesome.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1423220338' post='2682296']
I've bought a few new MIM's lately and they are very variable,
[/quote]

That's true, MIM instruments vary a lot. Some are very nice, some are real dogs, many are just ok. Squier CV series tend to be nicer than most of MIM instruments, in my admittedly not extremely extensive experience of them.

However, some MIM series are fantastic. The Classic ones are outstanding. The Classic 50 in particular, if we're talking Precisions, is extremely good. The neck is a bit wider than most others (which I like), so they get the "chunky" adjective appended to them often. But the profile is not really deep and I find them really comfy. I don't have big hands, but I prefer bigger necks, Stingray and Precisions for me. The Classic 50 has the nicest neck.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1423089085' post='2680738']
....For that money I'd go for a post 2008 American Standard Precision. They come up here often enough and often as good as new condition.
Lots of bass for your money....
[/quote]

+1

Excellent advice here. I'd go for a used AM Std, in good condition, from the classifieds. I'd also hold back £50 to invest in a good set of flatwound strings.