Why become a member? ×

Ive gone off Fender.

bubinga5

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1421088489' post='2657044']
I have a Sadowsky Metro, which I bought after failing to find a Fender Jazz as much as I liked my Fender Precisions.

I honestly think that Fenders have been left behind a bit when it comes to active EQs when compared to Lakland, Sadowsky, Nordstrand, Sandberg etc. When it comes to a passive Jazz design, I still think that a good Fender can stand up next to anything.

Hell, despite owning one, I have gone off 'expensive Fender clones with fancy on-board preamps.'.
[/quote]
I agree with this, if I didn't have my active box ticked with the Rays I would have wanted an active Jazz which wouldn't have resulted in the usa fender deluxe, probably an xotic or john east in a USA standard Fender Jazz.

Say what you like about Fenders but they have stood the test of time. Watch any edition of Jools Holland and in the majority of bands on with a bassist, that bassist is playing a Fender. Why? they are iconic, have a lengthy back story, and they are well, just cool I guess?

As has already been said, a fair few of them have 'iffy build quality, but I've heard that the newer Rickenbackers have also had their fair share of criticism in this regard.

As for me, I've owned a fair few Fenders, mostly P basses which suit my big paws better than a Jazz and I like their honesty. Just volume and tone for example. In my experience, in the ones I have owned, both newish and old P Basses have had their issues. By far the nicest P Bass I currently own isn't a Fender, but one made out of parts by Limelight. To me, everything works - the neck profile, clarity of tone, build quality, the way it plays and sounds. It really is very very good.

I've just bought a G&L L2500 Tribute which I like very much by the way but my main squeeze is definately the Limelight! :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1421072945' post='2656799']
The far eastern stuff is ok, some Japanese yamahas etc but the cheap stuff ain't as good as the "I love my squier" threads would suggest IMO, great if you are happy with it but for me a good USA bass still had the edge and a top end USA clone is in first place.
[/quote]

I'd go with this... subject to playing the individual bass as I still don't trust them.
Been 'quite' impressed with the few American Deluxe J5's I've seen and played but would'nt pay new prices,
for sure. That puts them in a completely different market, albeit S/H, but another league bass-wise, IMO.

The Jazz and P's still do 90% of gigs, certainly beyond the pub, IME..so they get somethings right for a lot of people

Despite being what can only be called a Fender fan boy, I've reached the point where I know what I want from my Fenders, and, essentially, Fender don't make them that way. So I made my own...
One is built from all Fender parts, so that's my 'Fender'. The other is built from (mostly) Squier parts, so that's a Squier. I also have a Squier 5er.
They are all Precision-shaped objects.
To me, that's what counts now.
I love Precisions. I'd never willingly gig anything else.
And I have owned two USA Fenders that were poor, one a bit (81), the other an absolute train wreck (68).
I don't like any other style of bass. But the point is, each to his own.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1421140276' post='2657449']
I've gone off marmite
[/quote]

Marmite hasn't been the same since 1987; and vintage Marmite is now going to collectors at silly prices. Nutella is too sweet for me, but peanut butter is consistent and can handle any toast. I prefer jsm(ing) mostly these days, suits my taste.
Marmite should concentrate more on the taste than the non food branded products.

Oddly enough, after years of not liking fenders, I have come full circle, and now am a big fan

This is my 2nd spell of playing - the first being back in the early 80's
I had 2 Fenders during this time, and they were definitely not "dogs"
- but they weren't great, by modern standards of playability etc....
The last one, a 70's P had put me off Fenders, as it was so heavy, and the neck really chunky

But since my recent spell of playing, I've owned and played lots of basses
I kept searching for the ideal - I tried Musicman, Rick, Lakland, etc etc
I owned a couple of Ibanez basses
But only on playing a few Fender Jazzes, have I found what really suits me....

I love the string spacing at the bridge end - so I can really "dig" my fingers in there,
I love the neck taper, and slim profile at the bottom end
I love the weight & balance (particularly my Roadworn J)
and I love the sounds and range of tones I can get, from the 2 pickups...

Having played several P basses over the years (following my chunky-necked 70's P)
I find I really like the slimmer necked P basses around today
In fact, my Squier CV 60's P is fabulous - at 300n quid, is a better player than many basses over twice its' price

Of course, these are all factors which are personal to me.....
But it's taken me years to find that I now love Fenders again
I've played some good ones, some bad, and some indifferent
But if I play one and don't quite like it - I don't buy it..... simple!

My Roadworn Jazz is just the best bass ever, to me.....
I played a 2 grand bass recently, and thought to myself
"If that's worth 2 grand - my J is worth at least 6)

I love it Because it suits me and my playing, and the sounds I'm after (bear in mind I play punk/new wave, Rock,
an Elvis tribute and acoustic / folk - all with the Jazz..... and I get what I want from it for all styles)

I see so many ads for basses, which say "Better than any Fender"
Which alone says to me that fender are THE benchmark

I understand that you have gone off them,
but as others say, play the bass you want and like
It doesn't matter whether that's a 200 quid copy, or a 3 grand custom made bass
Just play one that you enjoy....

Good luck in your search for a "perfect" bass - I didn't think one existed
.... but I'm glad to say I was wrong... and I'm glad I found my Fender :)

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1420967717' post='2655464']
My main squeeze at the moment is a Fender American Special, it was less than £500, looks and sounds the business, is beautifully put together, and is one of the most resonant basses I have ever played. It's also really nice and light and has a wonderful shallow C neck. It's perfect in every way.
[/quote]

I like my American Special so much I just bought a new one from Thomann, their PJ version in violinburst. Unfortunately, it's nothing like as good as my current one (a good weight, but poor QC with uneven pole pieces, crooked neck plate and sanding marks on headsock) and is going straight back.

Just goes to show you, some good and some bad.....

The Fender label or 'other' label isn't the issue for me. If I factor in a host of other variables such as, pick up choice, strings, pick or fingers, valves or SS, EQ settings, speaker cabs there is a very real chance that I'll disappear up my own 'starfish' and forget that this is all about playing music.

Edited by No lust in Jazz

The most commonly cited problem with Fenders - that of quality control - results from the scale of their operation and the sheer quantity of basses they churn out. That much is obvious. And it's a problem that smaller manufacturers can tackle more easily, simply because their output is lower and thus easier to monitor. It's also why they tend to be more expensive; economies of scale and all that.

I've played some superb Fender basses and still own a P-bass that I'll never part with. But I have no doubt that there are plenty of shonky ones out there; I've just been lucky enough to avoid them :)

But that's my personal experience of them. If yours is to the contrary then sure, sling out the Fenders and switch to another manufacturer. Why not? Blinkered brand loyalty is rarely a win-win.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1421087856' post='2657031']

I think that like in the musicman thread you seem to be having a bit of a stir, at least in this thread you've elaborated rather than starting a fire and wandering off though. Once again with the fanboy stuff though, very easy way to dismiss others.
[/quote] I certainly do not stir anything mate. I've got better things to do. Def not my intention. If I don't get back to a topic I've posted, it's because I either don't get time, or I have forgotten I posted it. Also really don't take forums that seriously. I appologise for the fan boy comment.

Edited by bubinga5

Bubinga5
I'm with you mate,Fender's do nothing for me at all I find then dull as a very dull thing, these days there are far better instruments out there for the same money.

Alas though it seems to be a cardinal sin on here to dare say anything negative about the big F.
I sometimes think I'm on Fenderchat :)

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1421152912' post='2657664']
The Fender label or 'other' label isn't the issue for me. If I factor in a host of other variables such as, pick up choice, strings, pick or fingers, valves or SS, EQ settings, speaker cabs there is a very real chance that I'll disappear up my own 'starfish' and forget that this is all about playing music.
[/quote]

Spot on.

[quote name='afterimage' timestamp='1421093097' post='2657105']
I have three fenders a teddy Lee. A thoman fender special p bass and jaxx deluxe all excellt build the Thomann is excellent. 700 pounds for America built fender. Bargain
[/quote]

Has Teddy got his own signature bass now then?
:)

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1421160727' post='2657818']
I'm really not knocking other peoples instruments. I just don't seem to have found the Fender I really wanted to play.
[/quote]

Sorry, reread my post and I really didn't mean to be quite so much of a dick/twat/knob (delete as applicable)

Apologies :-*>

Edited by Subbeh