Why become a member? ×

Squier Range

James Nada

Well they want you to GAS for a MIA but start on a Squier then go for a MIM or MIC then hear great things about a VM so back
to Squier.Play that for a while and buy a MIJ.

After many years and £1000s spent you get your MIA, by then you're too heavily invested to complain so aim for MIA Custom Shop next :o

I must add I've never owned a Fender so take this with a pinch of salt.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1419790315' post='2642730']
Affinity is the entry level, then Vintage Modified and the Deluxe Actives are in the middle.
Top is the Classic Vibe range.
The prices reflect this I think.
[/quote]
I thought you'd missed the Standard range, but then I visited the site and they seem to have disappeared. Wonder when that happened?

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1419790315' post='2642730']
Affinity is the entry level, then Vintage Modified and the Deluxe Actives are in the middle.
Top is the Classic Vibe range.
The prices reflect this I think.
[/quote]

Thanks, that's clarified it for me.
I actually have a '91 Fender MIM and a Squier VM but have never bothered to see where the VM sits in the hierarchy.
Incidently, the Squier feels much better than the MIM, but the MIM sounds better, but only just.

I have always thought that as well as a Squire or cheaper backup bass I should also have a 'proper' bass. For the past month I have been using my Squier 5 string exclusively as my Fender Roscoe Beck is for sale. I have to say that I don't really miss my 'proper' bass and may just get another Squier.

I don't know why I feel like I should have something better as to be brutally honest, if it plays well and sounds good, what does it matter, the folks in the crowd couldn't give a monkeys what you are playing. Its also quite nice to be complimented on your playing and sound when you are using a budget instrument.

I bought the precision in my sig based on the way it looked and the neck. Had it have been a Squier then I'd still have bought it.

The VM fretless Jazz I owned felt a bit like it was made of balsa wood. It felt like a toy. But the natural VM Jazz that I had felt pretty substantial. I don't know if the natural one had better and heavier wood for the body and the fretless had whatever as it was sunburst and didn't matter as much.

Now [url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Squier_Vintage_Modified_Precision_Bass_V%2cCandy_Apple_Red/FEN-032-6862-509"]this[/url] I love. It's a pity that most of the precisions have a jazz pickup as well. This is one of the few that don't. I don't need a jazz pickup and I think it spoils the look of the bass

Edited by Delberthot

Classic vibes are top notch. When I got my hands on a CV jazz I immediately sold my MIA Highway 1. The CV blew it away, even with stock parts. I've got a JV Squier P (lucky lucky me) and far as I'm concerned it will beat any MIA hands down. It's absolutely beautiful. :)

Another Squier fan here. I had a VM Precision for a while and it was a great bass. In fact it was that bass that got me back in to playing after a few years away. Great bang for buck.

My experience with the CV range echoes most of the comments here too - brilliant basses that are the very top of the Squier shop.

I'm on the other side of the fence, I used to own a USA P bass and recently bought a VM P as I was getting P bass GAS again. I took it to one rehearsal and it's been in its case ever since! I don't know what it is, I just couldn't get on with it. It may well have been the two guitards and their Marshalls, one has a mid heavy sound, the other quite scooped and bassy so finding sonic space can be a pain, hence reverting back to my Bongo mid way through the rehearsal. I'm working with a 3 piece originals project doing funky blues/rock now so may give it another whirl with that. Also to add that I always used my USA with a drive pedal which seemed to really bring it alive so in the interest of fairness I'll give the Squier a crack through a drive pedal at next rehearsal!

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1420114571' post='2645660']
Ern, you could always chuck an Entwistle P pickup into your Squire. I did that with my jazz and it sounds awesome now. I haven't gigged it yet so can't say if it'll cut through more.

By the way, a Bongo HS Stealth is pretty much my droooooooool bass :)
[/quote]
I did think about the possibility of a pup change. I do think the tone and looks of a P bass would sit well in my new project so I haven't written it off completely just yet. The Bongo is a beast, 18v pre with 4 band eq, Neo pickups, typical MM build quality, the looks might not be to some peoples taste but as an instrument they are incredible!

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1420107591' post='2645544']
I'm on the other side of the fence, I used to own a USA P bass and recently bought a VM P as I was getting P bass GAS again. I took it to one rehearsal and it's been in its case ever since! I don't know what it is, I just couldn't get on with it. It may well have been the two guitards and their Marshalls, one has a mid heavy sound, the other quite scooped and bassy so finding sonic space can be a pain, hence reverting back to my Bongo mid way through the rehearsal. I'm working with a 3 piece originals project doing funky blues/rock now so may give it another whirl with that. Also to add that I always used my USA with a drive pedal which seemed to really bring it alive so in the interest of fairness I'll give the Squier a crack through a drive pedal at next rehearsal!
[/quote]

The Precision may not be the right bass, but it sounds like your guitarists don't really know what they're doing. Their combined tones sound like a nightmare lol

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1420124749' post='2645820']

The Precision may not be the right bass, but it sounds like your guitarists don't really know what they're doing. Their combined tones sound like a nightmare lol

Si
[/quote]
Don't get me started about those two Si! 😡

I have lots of basses, couple of dozen or so, but the two I would grab in the house fire scenario would be my two Squiers.

My right hand would grab my best and favourite, which is a mid 80s MIJ 32" scale Precision and by some measure the bass I have felt most comfortable with, ever. My left hand would grab my JV Fender logo '57 re-issue Precision. The rest could burn.