Why become a member? ×

Right angled or straight

chrisanthony1211

In my experience a straight plug can put a bit of strain on a jack socket when that socket is on the face of an instrument (such as a P bass) so I favour a right-angled plug for a couple of my basses with that arrangement - my other basses have side mounted sockets (which are of the wholly enclosed type) so they're not so prone to the plug moving around in which case straight jacks seem fine.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1419597945' post='2641140']
For my two Fenders and G&L right angle at the bass end. It fits better with the "gig loop" through the strap. Less loopage at the guitar.
[/quote]

Same for me. The cable sits nice and flat against the body and through the strap. Doesn't get caught up on sticky out bits of the drum kit.

Depends what instrument I'm playing at the time.

Right angled on EUB and JB - it keeps the jack body out of the way.
Straight on ESP and Ibanez as the jack socket is on the edge and a right angled jack doesn't sit properly.

As for life expectancy, if you think about the mechanics of the plug construction and the cable stress, the straight plugs will be less prone to failure.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1419600607' post='2641172']
I have a straight on one end then a right angle on the other, that covers all the angles :)
[/quote]
This is what I've got, angled in my jazz, 3 eq side mounted stingrays or front mounted 2 eq stingray but my EUB has a strat socket and the cable hangs down into the strings on my double bass with an angled one so they both need straight ones.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1419601001' post='2641180']
As for life expectancy, if you think about the mechanics of the plug construction and the cable stress, the straight plugs will be less prone to failure.
[/quote]

+1 I don't understand how so many people break cables so regularly. I've had the same cables for years and had no problems... but I do actively look after them (don't tie them in knots and chuck them about, stomp on them all during a gig etc!). Surely if you're clumsy/careless enough to continually break cables, you would just buy a decent wireless and have done with it? Anyway.

I use right angles at both ends (for front plate jack on my Fenders) into bass and amp as it keeps everything tidy :-)

The only jacks that I will ever entertain using are the Neutrik Professional (NP) series because the business end is a one piece construction i.e. no rivet joining the solder tag to the jack.

The regular right-angled versions (NP2RX) are workhorse connectors and I've never had one of those fail. There is one exception and that is the right-angled Silent jack which is inherently weak and has a tendency to come apart with heavy use.

In some cases, the position of the jack socket and the style of guitar stand will dictate whether you can use one plug or the other. A right-angled jack is more likely to get in the way of a bottom-supported stand, and a straight jack is more likely to make the instrument too long for a top-hung stand designed for shorter guitars.

David

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1419599083' post='2641155']
Always right angled into the instrument for me. I find them less prone to failure, probably because they dont protrude quite so far from the bass. Also more aesthetically pleasing, that's just me though.
[/quote]

This is it for me as well.

another one for Right angled into the instrument. The only jack failures i've had, have been straight angles sticking out the bottom of the instrument and banging on me or something else. Also broken one output jack through putting pressure on it by having the straight jack resting on me and then breaking the jack on the inside of the instrument. Only use right angle now.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1419597220' post='2641125']
You can't fit an angled jack in a 'strat' style recessed socket, my eub only takes straight for example.
[/quote]

My Hamer FBIV has Stratocaster style output jack. It does take a right-angled jack plug, although it's not pretty. I'd like a flat oval replacement socket if i could find one.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1419605857' post='2641233']
The only jacks that I will ever entertain using are the Neutrik Professional (NP) series because the business end is a one piece construction i.e. no rivet joining the solder tag to the jack.

The regular right-angled versions (NP2RX) are workhorse connectors and I've never had one of those fail. There is one exception and that is the right-angled Silent jack which is inherently weak and has a tendency to come apart with heavy use.
[/quote]

The definitive word, surely, from a man who deals in these components every day?